An ugly trend

madame_zora

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Originally posted by ChimeraTX+Mar 30 2005, 10:07 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ChimeraTX &#064; Mar 30 2005, 10:07 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by madame_zora@Mar 30 2005, 01:10 AM
Originally posted by ChimeraTX@Mar 30 2005, 02:28 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-madame_zora
@Mar 29 2005, 09:20 PM
Um folks, for the record, his birthdate is blank on his profile, but he just said in Young and Hung that he is a few days away from his 15th birthday&#33; I&#39;m sorry for this entire discourse, I would have saved my breath.

Sorry to be dismissive, but I am. At one-third my age, you simply haven&#39;t had time to read or consider ANY subject to the extent that I have, and you certainly haven&#39;t had ANY opportunity to see this subject in action outside the little microcausm of your parents&#39; home.
[post=295093]Quoted post[/post]​

Honestly, I am absolutely certain you are correct. I have been to thirty-nine states, and four countries, but I haven&#39;t experienced what you have. I wouldn&#39;t take anyone my age seriously if I were in your position, and I appreciate that you and the rest of the board has been so kind to me. :)
[post=295096]Quoted post[/post]​

You certainly haven&#39;t merited kindness, you have been rude and egotistical, which is pretty normal for a 14 year old, but I thought all along I was talking to an adult. Had I known you were a child, I would have taken a pass.

[post=295159]Quoted post[/post]​

I hope you aren&#39;t angry that a fourteen year-old is on par with your arguing skills. :D

I have experienced racism a lot by the way.
[post=295289]Quoted post[/post]​
[/b][/quote]

Actually, I&#39;m not. The reason I began talking to you in the first place is that I read some (but not all) of the threads in Etc where you and jonb were discussing genetics.
Believe me, your intellect I respect just fine. One doesn&#39;t have to be an adult to have a strongly developed brain, and you clearly do. The reason I was upset was because despite your obvious intelligence, you lack the practical application that living life will give you, thus broadening your perspective. It simply is not possible at that young of an age to be able to make sweeping social generalisations that hold any credibility because you just haven&#39;t experinced enough of the kinds of things the racism affects.
FWIW, I was also an early developer, so when I say "I&#39;ve been where you are", I mean it. I also mean it when I say I know firsthand how completely annoying it is to be limited by things beyond your control, and your lack of life experience is just a result of on what day you happened to be born, been there too. Nonetheless, you are in fact 14 and have not done any of the things I referred to in my previous post, that doesn&#39;t make you less valuable as a person, but honestly it&#39;s like having a debate about a movie that one of us (you) hasn&#39;t seen yet. If you were arguing about a movie and discovered your friend hadn&#39;t seen it, you might feel the discussion had been useless too, that&#39;s how I feel now.

Also you failed to realise that being biracial, I find your theories PERSONALLY highly offensive, so there&#39;s no way on Earth I&#39;m going to remain civil to you while you are being directly insulting to me. I also thought this showed an immense lack of maturity on your part, not to even recognise what an ass you were being. When I am calling someone out, I don&#39;t expect them to be gentle in responding, but I&#39;ve learned that through experience. :D

hung_big: Cha, of course Chimera. Everyone loves ya&#33; (well, at least I do :D)

Apology totally accepted. Just no more racist comments :D

And yes, you are intelligent

naughty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Chimera,

With great intelligence comes responsibility. I gathered early on that you liked to play the devil&#39;s advocate and exercise your skills of debate. But as Jana stated, as yet another "biracial" person, my very existence cried out against your ideologies. I wish you the best and look forward to hearing what other things you have to say about some of our less incindiary topics.

Naughty

madame_zora

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Originally posted by Shelby@Mar 30 2005, 10:49 PM
MZ - as always, your words reveal high intelligence along with a deep empathy and understanding of the human condition.

I get it that certain stereotypes, concepts and/or buzzwords can cause some people emotional trauma. And I know that some level of discretion is necessary. But I hate it when past injustices make the mere mention of a
controversial subject taboo.

ps - I don&#39;t pretend to know where the proper balance should be struck.
[post=295301]Quoted post[/post]​

I wouldn&#39;t pretend to know either, but I am wondering at this moment if I should be feeling a little slammed by the article you chose to use as your example. I won&#39;t get into the details of how I feel about that particular subject unless you tell me it was your intention to begin that discussion, but generally I try to decide where the balance is by trying to discern what purpose is served either way. FWIW, I hold the concept of "the people&#39;s right to know" to be complete hogwash&#33;
Using your example, what general purpose is there of conducting a survey on why women score lower than men in math? If it is not for the purpose of discrimination, or justifying the forementioned, then what could it be? I won&#39;t deny that the evidence holds to the issue, but the reasons for that are varied. The problem I have is not so much that women be seen as the same as men (which is clearly NOT true&#33;), but that the ones who can and do perform at the same level as men be afforded that opportunity. Sadly, there is still pervasive mysogyny throughout our society, and "facts" such as this serve to enforce a stereotype that is damaging to some. I have actually had male subordinates who were surprised that I didn&#39;t need their help doing simple math equasions in my head&#33; It&#39;s disheartening to know that about half the population truly believes I am inferior to them based on my gender. Boy, do I ever love taking their money&#33;
One of the great things about men seeing women as inferior is that they aren&#39;t afraid of me, and as a salesman, I use that to my advantage- they never see me coming even when I&#39;m sticking my hand in their wallet.

Okay, so I couldn&#39;t keep my mouth shut (when do I ever?). I am completely against ANY standards being lowered to accomodate women, but once again, I believe strongly that women who can and do perform at the same level as men be afforded the same oportunity and pay. Like racism, many simply do not believe tha extent to which this affects a woman&#39;s life. I know a lot of white people who aren&#39;t racists personally, their friends aren&#39;t racists, and they simply can&#39;t get their minds around the idea that this is still a big deal, because they personally don&#39;t come into contact with it much (thank God for that type of ignorance&#33;). Likewise, there are plenty of men on the workforce who treat women as equals in the important areas and they just can&#39;t imagine that it&#39;s all that tough out there for women, but I hope you&#39;ll believe me when I say I&#39;ve done more fighting for my rights than just enjoying my happy day.

The implications of subtle "findings" are dangerous when taken out of context. I know that women score a bit lower than men in math on standardized tests, but when you take girls and boys with similar IQs, the math portions are not too dissimilar. There is no way to take societal impact out of the equasion and have the results remain meaningful. Studies have been done that reveal teachers tend to call on boys more in school, guidance counsellors tend to encourage boys more than girls to pursue math related fields, at the very least, these things would affect confidence, and how much impact could that have? Think about how that relates to sex- it can be a deal-breaker.

Stereotypes usually serve no useful purpose, IMHO. Stereotypes about beauty have women feeling we need to be 120 lbs with 36DD boobs and an ass like a 12 year old boy. Great job guys, now we&#39;re anorexic/bulemic, running to plastic surgeons for boob jobs and neither men or women even care if we have any intellectual value at all. Stereotypes against blacks ONLY serve to harm blacks, did you ever notice that these studies that go to show how white men are superior to everyone are ALWAYS conducted by.....um....White Men&#33;&#33; Woo-hoo, we have a winner&#33; It has long been my personal contention, based on absolutely nothing but my personal opinion, that the world has paid dearly enough for white&#39; guys&#39; inferiority complexes.

Shelby

Experimental Member
Media
Please believe me that no slam was intended.

The article (written by the female president of the center for equal opportunity) does mention that women score higher on verbal tests than men. And my experience in the business world leads me to conclude that communication skills are far more valuable than being able to handle integrals and derivatives - for what it&#39;s worth.

Freddie53

Superior Member
Gold
Media
It is the reverse in English. Generally, girls score higher than boys in English and Reading. Yet many of the great people in literature are men. And as a teacher I have known many women math teachers teaching the advance placeement courses in high school.

You are abolutely right, each of us should be evaluated on our own merits and not what the average is for all other people in any subgroup that someone might come up with. And the list of subgroups is endless: Students from large towns; stuedents from small towns; ethnic groups; parent&#39;s income; and so on. Those standardized tests have some many subgroups it that is unbelievable. But what do they mean when a teacher is looking at Johnny&#39;s score. Nothing absolutely nothing. Only Johnny&#39;s score matters at that time.

I spent my career as a male in a profession dominated by women. I have great empathy with how women feel. We once had a a person come in and talk to us. We were told that the only way teachers would ever be paid what they deserve in comparison to other professions was too: ..... become a profession with at least 51 percent of the people being male. Elementary school teachers are expected to put up with a lot of stuff because they are .....women.

It was rough my first year. I went in to go to the restroom one day and the faculty restroom had a sign on it that said ladies only. I was the first male to break into a that 100 percent women&#39;s faculty. But I won them over. And now some over 30 years later, I played the organ at the funeral for the woman who put that sign on the door. I have played for nearly every one of them who have died. Once I won them over, I became another "son". For one reason, I rasied hell about the way we were being treated on some things. Yes, I was a rebel. And the women liked it. They all became special. I fought the men supervisors sucessfully. Over half of those ladies that I taught with have died. Everyone of them became family. I just played the organ at the funeral for another one of those ladies. Her family said it was in her written instructions that Freddie was to play the organ at her funeral.

I am remebering fondly some great ladies. It is no wonder how they felt. When they found a man that believed in equality they accepted me not as friend but family. I have been blessed. And this last death has been recent. I came to love all those ladies. They were second mamas and their passing has been emotional for me. I must add that all the ladies weren&#39;t my mother&#39;s age, but most of those youinger taught one year and then were gone and the vast majority of the teachers had taught as a group together a long time before I arrived on the scene.

Besides my own mother, there are three left. All in their eighties now and all showing serious decline in health.

So do understand that this remembrance has been both wonderful, but an emotional one for me.
Originally posted by madame_zora+Mar 31 2005, 08:27 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(madame_zora &#064; Mar 31 2005, 08:27 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Shelby@Mar 30 2005, 10:49 PM
MZ - as always, your words reveal high intelligence along with a deep empathy and understanding of the human condition.

I get it that certain stereotypes, concepts and/or buzzwords can cause some people emotional trauma. And I know that some level of discretion is necessary. But I hate it when past injustices make the mere mention of a       
controversial subject taboo.

ps - I don&#39;t pretend to know where the proper balance should be struck.
[post=295301]Quoted post[/post]​

I wouldn&#39;t pretend to know either, but I am wondering at this moment if I should be feeling a little slammed by the article you chose to use as your example. I won&#39;t get into the details of how I feel about that particular subject unless you tell me it was your intention to begin that discussion, but generally I try to decide where the balance is by trying to discern what purpose is served either way. FWIW, I hold the concept of "the people&#39;s right to know" to be complete hogwash&#33;
Using your example, what general purpose is there of conducting a survey on why women score lower than men in math? If it is not for the purpose of discrimination, or justifying the forementioned, then what could it be? I won&#39;t deny that the evidence holds to the issue, but the reasons for that are varied. The problem I have is not so much that women be seen as the same as men (which is clearly NOT true&#33;), but that the ones who can and do perform at the same level as men be afforded that opportunity. Sadly, there is still pervasive mysogyny throughout our society, and "facts" such as this serve to enforce a stereotype that is damaging to some. I have actually had male subordinates who were surprised that I didn&#39;t need their help doing simple math equasions in my head&#33; It&#39;s disheartening to know that about half the population truly believes I am inferior to them based on my gender. Boy, do I ever love taking their money&#33;
One of the great things about men seeing women as inferior is that they aren&#39;t afraid of me, and as a salesman, I use that to my advantage- they never see me coming even when I&#39;m sticking my hand in their wallet.

Okay, so I couldn&#39;t keep my mouth shut (when do I ever?). I am completely against ANY standards being lowered to accomodate women, but once again, I believe strongly that women who can and do perform at the same level as men be afforded the same oportunity and pay. Like racism, many simply do not believe tha extent to which this affects a woman&#39;s life. I know a lot of white people who aren&#39;t racists personally, their friends aren&#39;t racists, and they simply can&#39;t get their minds around the idea that this is still a big deal, because they personally don&#39;t come into contact with it much (thank God for that type of ignorance&#33;). Likewise, there are plenty of men on the workforce who treat women as equals in the important areas and they just can&#39;t imagine that it&#39;s all that tough out there for women, but I hope you&#39;ll believe me when I say I&#39;ve done more fighting for my rights than just enjoying my happy day.

The implications of subtle "findings" are dangerous when taken out of context. I know that women score a bit lower than men in math on standardized tests, but when you take girls and boys with similar IQs, the math portions are not too dissimilar. There is no way to take societal impact out of the equasion and have the results remain meaningful. Studies have been done that reveal teachers tend to call on boys more in school, guidance counsellors tend to encourage boys more than girls to pursue math related fields, at the very least, these things would affect confidence, and how much impact could that have? Think about how that relates to sex- it can be a deal-breaker.

Stereotypes usually serve no useful purpose, IMHO. Stereotypes about beauty have women feeling we need to be 120 lbs with 36DD boobs and an ass like a 12 year old boy. Great job guys, now we&#39;re anorexic/bulemic, running to plastic surgeons for boob jobs and neither men or women even care if we have any intellectual value at all. Stereotypes against blacks ONLY serve to harm blacks, did you ever notice that these studies that go to show how white men are superior to everyone are ALWAYS conducted by.....um....White Men&#33;&#33; Woo-hoo, we have a winner&#33; It has long been my personal contention, based on absolutely nothing but my personal opinion, that the world has paid dearly enough for white&#39; guys&#39; inferiority complexes.
[post=295508]Quoted post[/post]​
[/b][/quote]

D_Barbi_Queue

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I was afraid this topic might be about leg warmers based solely on the title. kidding....

but in all seriousness, racism is ugly. I DO realize the differences among races and celebrate those differences. Diversity is what makes the human race such a grand thing. I don&#39;t believe any race is wholly superior to any other though. That&#39;s just a perverse way to live life.

Simon9

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I agree.

I think we have to recognize that, broadly speaking, there are some differences. Otherwise what logical point would "celebrating diversity" have if we actually were all the same?

Not that that makes any one ethnicity or gender "superior" just because there are often group differences. Recognition of generalized group tendencies/preferences doesn&#39;t make one a racist (or sexist) necessarily.

Individuals can vary anywhere along a continuum. And we have to take each person as we find them. And not treat them as just a fragment of a group, agreed?

In fact, I&#39;m gonna go out and get some chips and dip and a six pack and celebrate some diversity right now. Now where did I put those balloons? L
:D

Dr. Dilznick

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Originally posted by madame_zora@Mar 30 2005, 02:52 PM
My problem with racially biased information is not that they don&#39;t have any point at all, but that more often than not, it is collected for the purpose of proving the inferiority of one race compared to another. Even when it&#39;s supposedly a compliment, ie "black men are better at sports, have bigger dicks, are physically stronger" the VERY CLEAR implication socially is that they&#39;ve got the better physique, but whites have the better brains. Now, I&#39;m sure I&#39;ve read more studies than almost anyone on this and I find them to be horrendously slanted and unfounded in anything realistic.
[post=295263]Quoted post[/post]​
Studies on race and penis size, or also on race and IQ? You are aware that most scientists agree that the IQ gap between whites and blacks is at least partially explained by biological differences?

Dr. Dilznick

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Originally posted by DoubleMeatWhopper@Mar 30 2005, 02:18 PM

But there is a dictionary definition of racism: the doctrine or teaching, without scientific support, that claims to find racial differences in character, intelligence, etc., that asserts the superority of one race over another or others, and that seeks to maintain the purity of a race or the races.
The part in bold is the problem. If this condition isn&#39;t met, is it no longer racism? I&#39;m sure you are aware that scientific evidence is often used by racialists for justifying discriminatory behavior.

Simon9

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Originally posted by Dr. Dilznick+Mar 31 2005, 05:43 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dr. Dilznick &#064; Mar 31 2005, 05:43 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-DoubleMeatWhopper@Mar 30 2005, 02:18 PM

But there is a dictionary definition of racism: the doctrine or teaching, without scientific support, that claims to find racial differences in character, intelligence, etc., that asserts the superority of one race over another or others, and that seeks to maintain the purity of a race or the races.
The part in bold is the problem. If this condition isn&#39;t met, is it no longer racism? I&#39;m sure you are aware that scientific evidence is often used by racialists for justifying discriminatory behavior.
[post=295581]Quoted post[/post]​
[/b][/quote]

That&#39;s the problem of using emotionally charged words (such as &#39;racism&#39;). People have a variety of meanings attached to them, conveniently flexible. For instance, Spike Lee, the filmmaker, has defined &#39;racism&#39; so as to preclude any blacks from even being racist. My redneck aunt from SC assures me she&#39;s "no bigot". She just "hates them damned niggers."

My white nephew (from another branch of the family than my charming aunt), a homeboy and wigger, believes that whenever people disagree with him, they&#39;re being racist. Even if they&#39;re white, too. I&#39;d like to lock him and the aunt together in a small room for a day. And sell tickets.

Freddie53

Superior Member
Gold
Media
Originally posted by Dr. Dilznick+Mar 31 2005, 12:41 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dr. Dilznick &#064; Mar 31 2005, 12:41 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-madame_zora@Mar 30 2005, 02:52 PM

Studies on race and penis size, or also on race and IQ? You are aware that most scientists agree that the IQ gap between whites and blacks is at least partially explained by biological differences?
[post=295579]Quoted post[/post]​
[/b][/quote]
Most IQ tests and standardized tests are culturally written to favor uper middle class white Protestant girls. With boys of the same group coming in second.

A similar test written in the favored talk language of blacks in the ghetoo would show that white students would score lower than black students. Most professionaltests given today are slanted toward upper middle class white students.

There are too many outstanding black professionals in the world today of both genders to paint a broad brush about blacks being inferior in IQ. The evidence in the world doesn&#39;t support that if you compare appes to apples and organtes to organizes. White students not from upper middle class neighborhoods don&#39;t do well on those tests either.

CeeTeeCeeTee

Experimental Member
Media
Originally posted by Dr. Dilznick+Mar 31 2005, 05:41 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dr. Dilznick &#064; Mar 31 2005, 05:41 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-madame_zora@Mar 30 2005, 02:52 PM
My problem with racially biased information is not that they don&#39;t have any point at all, but that more often than not, it is collected for the purpose of proving the inferiority of one race compared to another. Even when it&#39;s supposedly a compliment, ie "black men are better at sports, have bigger dicks, are physically stronger" the VERY CLEAR implication socially is that they&#39;ve got the better physique, but whites have the better brains. Now, I&#39;m sure I&#39;ve read more studies than almost anyone on this and I find them to be horrendously slanted and unfounded in anything realistic.
[/b][/quote]

"White" and "Black" are social categories. They are NOT based on biology. There may be more genetic disparity between two "whites" then between a "black" person and a "white" person. Performance on exams is something that can be very easily influenced by social conditions so I don&#39;t trust any study that claims to have data proving that whites are smarter than blacks.

The fact that we are having this discussion is proof to me that America still has a serious race problem.

B_DoubleMeatWhopper

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Originally posted by TexAssgirl@Mar 31 2005, 06:53 PM
alright, call me naive, but what is a "wigger"?
[post=295602]Quoted post[/post]​

Actually, it should be spelled &#39;whigger&#39;, coming from &#39;white&#39; + &#39;nigger&#39;. It&#39;s a white person who adopts the hip-hop look and ghetto slang associated with black youth. It&#39;s not a word that I would recommend.

CeeTeeCeeTee

Experimental Member
Media
Wouldn&#39;t it be great if the US spent as much money and time healing the damage slavery did to our culture as it does fighting its endless stream of wars ? :eyes:

Pecker

Retired Moderator
Media
Originally posted by CeeTeeCeeTee@Mar 31 2005, 04:58 PM
Wouldn&#39;t it be great if the US spent as much money and time healing the damage slavery did to our culture as it does fighting its endless stream of wars ? :eyes:
[post=295643]Quoted post[/post]​

?

madame_zora

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Originally posted by CeeTeeCeeTee+Mar 31 2005, 09:39 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(CeeTeeCeeTee &#064; Mar 31 2005, 09:39 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by Dr. Dilznick@Mar 31 2005, 05:41 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-madame_zora
@Mar 30 2005, 02:52 PM

"White" and "Black" are social categories. They are NOT based on biology. There may be more genetic disparity between two "whites" then between a "black" person and a "white" person. Performance on exams is something that can be very easily influenced by social conditions so I don&#39;t trust any study that claims to have data proving that whites are smarter than blacks.

The fact that we are having this discussion is proof to me that America still has a serious race problem.
[post=295634]Quoted post[/post]​
[/b][/quote]

Amen&#33; I will now try to take lessons from you on "How to get to the point&#33;"

@Dr. Dilznick- just because something is published in a "scientific journal" or website doesn&#39;t make it fact. Who are any of us to determine what "most scientists agree on"? None of us have taken a poll of scientific opinion around the country/world, and even if most did agree on one certain idea (doubtful&#33;) that still doesn&#39;t make them right. I will repeat that it was once a scientifically accepted fact that the world was flat. If you WANT to believe in the superiority of your own race, go for it, but you must certainly view with skepticism anyone publishing test results where they stand to be the beneficiaries of said results. I do believe that would qualify as a condition for scientific method, wouldn&#39;t you?

@Freddie, thanks for your input on standardised tests from the perspective of an educator. Most IQ tests favor the middle to upper class, as well as the well educated. Theoretically, IQ SHOULD be able to be measured with education not being a factor at all. There are obvious problems with perfecting this, of course. The test must be written in some language, the one taking the test will do better if they are familiar with the testing process, it is impossible to know if some of the concepts presented through language are reaching the reader, or if they simply don&#39;t know a certain word and therefore have to guess. You are right, poor white students don&#39;t fare any better, but lets&#39; not publish those results when we can make blackie look worse instead&#33;