And another breaks the 1000 post barrier!

gigantikok: Wow, you sure do sound cynical.  You are definately entitled to your opinion, though, as everyone around here is.  I agree with Monstro, though, he put it very well.  There is a little thing called "freedom of speech" and we should be able to express ourselves anyway we want to.  It's ok to get annoyed by one liners, if you want to be.  I find life is too short to go around, pissy, thinking,"Ooo, that's another one liner, god I hate those."  What you forget Dee, is we are not changing the world with this chat group.  We are not right an advice column, or a self-help novel.  Our goal is not to obsess about continuous, "progressive" posting.  Our goal is to:

a) Help people in need
b) Entertain ourselves (since this is a what?  A CHAT GROUP, FOLKS!)

If you are not having anymore fun around here, Dee, I see no reason why you are still posting.  We are here to laugh, we are here to play, we are here to help.  I think we achieve all of the above, and so, I think there should be no complaining.  I think this group is great exactly as is.  It all balances out.  We have the jokesters, we have the advice-givers, we have the inbetweens, we have everything.  If we all shoved sticks up our asses, typed 3 paragraph long essays for each post, and didn't support each other ...would this group be as popular or as successful as it is?  I think not.  

I know I am going to get some angry responses, but I am as entitled to my opinion as anyone else around here is.  Just my 2 cents.

gigantikok: Yea, you deleted your post before I finish replying. I think it is more offensive to rob us of your opinion, and go pout in a corner. Your initial post didn't offend me, I disagreed with it, but it caused me to think. I am offended by how you took that away from others. You just contridicted the opinion you were expressing.

throb919: Gigz--Angry responses? You're more likely to get: "Uh...where can we get those sticks...?" ;-)

(Yikes! A one-liner with an emoticon!)

D_Martin van Burden

Account Disabled
Media
[quote author=gigantikok link=board=meetgreet;num=1065665315;start=40#41 date=10/13/03 at 21:38:39]Wow, you sure do sound cynical.[/quote]

Last I checked, I was entitled to that. I presume that, for logical consistency, if we're allowed to say whatever we want, it should be no different to feel however we want either. Is that not so?

I find life is too short to go around, pissy, thinking,"Ooo, that's another one liner, god I hate those."

Again, I agree. LPSG, other than these past few visits in succession, hasn't been on my mind to the extent that you would like to think. I just get that frustration when I happen to click the last 50 or 100 posts for review.

But, of course, as was indicated earlier, this is a subjective concern/problem. Never mind that your's and other's endorsements of a relativistic, "enjoy the group for what it's worth" seem valid. And yet when I'm brazen enough to say what's on my mind, even if it's not the rosey vision that seems consistent with how most people feel, I'm the one with the problem and I'm the one whose opinion is invalid.

...right.

...we are not changing the world with this chat group. We are not [writing?] an advice column, or a self-help novel. Our goal is not to obsess about continuous, "progressive" posting.

We talk about mature and serious subjects, and I don't know about you, but it feels damn good to help and to be helped. Sure, it's not a formalized procedure and it's not a political revolution, but I'd rethink again just how important of a job we all have here. If things were as trivial as you would have it, well, I wouldn't have brought up my concerns in the first place since I'd be too busy emoticonning my happy ass into the wee hours.

If you are not having anymore fun around here, Dee, I see no reason why you are still posting.

Good point. I haven't rationalized my way out of this one either, but if I do, you'll be the first to know. (And I'll give you a cookie, too!)

I think it is more offensive to rob us of your opinion, and go pout in a corner....I am offended by how you took that away from others. You just [contradicted] the opinion you were expressing.

No, I didn't. I had something to get off my chest (my negative sentiments), and when I did (before I deleted those posts), I got shot down by several different people (you included).

I wasn't exactly looking for pats on the shoulder or someone to rub my butt cheeks and say, "Everything's going to be okay." I just tossed the thoughts out there. I spoke honestly, but I figured people wouldn't react the way in which they did. That surprised me. That wasn't cool. And that didn't make me feel all that peachy afterward...

So, riddle me this, genius. Even if the user weren't me, per se, how the hell do you expect someone to post something genuine, honest, and truthful from the heart when people like little shits like you are too busy shooting down and discrediting someone that doesn't agree 100% with you, hmmm?

gigantikok: [quote author=DeeBlackthorne link=board=meetgreet;num=1065665315;start=40#43 date=10/13/03 at 22:44:27]
So, riddle me this, genius.  Even if the user weren't me, per se, how the hell do you expect someone to post something genuine, honest, and truthful from the heart when people like little shits like you are too busy shooting down and discrediting someone that doesn't agree 100% with you, hmmm?
[/quote]
Ouch.  Wow, someone sure if offensive.  I get this preception that you feel as though everyone is attacking you.  That isn't true, Dee.  I wasn't discrediting you, I was simply posting MY opinion... what I felt was "genuine, honest, and truthful" to me.  Maybe I shouldn't have called you cynical (it was merely an observation), but everything else I said was my opinion.  I should have a right to express that without getting lashed out at, and called a "little shit".  Somehow, I knew you'd respond this way.  That's why I wrote:

[quote author=gigantikok link=board=meetgreet;num=1065665315;start=40#40 date=10/13/03 at 21:38:39]I know I am going to get some angry responses, but I am as entitled to my opinion as anyone else around here is.  Just my 2 cents.[/quote]

Oh, and by the way, I don't trivialize anything.  I help when help is needed, but I play and joke too because I am here to have fun.  That is something you don't seem to do anymore... have fun.  Maybe you should rethink why you stick around here.

Anyway, before this turns into a mudslinging match, sorry for "shooting you down" or whatever.  I will not, however, censor my opinion.  Especially not for you.

D_Martin van Burden

Account Disabled
Media
[quote author=gigantikok link=board=meetgreet;num=1065665315;start=40#44 date=10/13/03 at 22:57:02]Anyway, before this turns into a mudslinging match, sorry for "shooting you down" or whatever.  I will not, however, censor my opinion.  Especially not for you.[/quote]

Oooooooh... aren't we a spicy li'l tart?! Ha ha ha! :D

That's fine. I don't like you. You don't like me. I can go to Hell, and I'll gladly hold your hand all the way there. I'll even let you walk in front.

I'm not going to lose sleep over this. I had my outbursts; granted, I don't feel like I got anything accomplished in saying my peace, but it was foolish of me to have those expectations anyway. I got the sentiment off my chest, and that's all that matters.

Of course ribbing you in the process is all fun too, Gig. I have to admit. Calling you a little shit made me crack a smile, so I guess I have you to thank for that, eh?

gigantikok: *coughassholecough*

Sorry, guess I have a little tickle in my throat. :D

(Back to your regularly scheduled topic)

sammygirly: Meh, I wasn't offended at all and I still agree that one liner posts for boosting post count is still annoying. For the record Gigz, I don't go around entirely for the purpose of sniffing out one-liners to go "ooooooo I hate those". However, as Dee has so eloquently been trying to say: We are entitled to our opinion.

Nothing in Dee's original post was directed at any one specific person so I have no idea why you felt it necessary to take personal offence. That's just the way it goes I guess. Technically, I probably could have gotten my hackles up at what he said too.

But I didn't.

Some people just like the fight - and as has been proven more than once - Dee will take you up on it ~laughs~

To Dee: You're busy. You're not as committed or compelled by the group anymore lately.

That's allowed, really. I think we all eventually find something else to occupy ourselves with for a while and come back. You'll be back...they always are.

7x6andchg: I, for one, am beginning to think I should have stopped at 999. :(

I don't think that the "1000" posts is a big deal. It means I check in here regularly, as most of the regular posters do, and if I find something worthy of a response, I post. I've been around on this incarnation since 10/15/02...that averages out to ~ 20 posts a week for an entire year. The only reason it is even celebrated, I think, is akin to the strange sense of roundness in the number...much like watching one's odometer turn over.

Some of my posts have been one-liners. Some have been paragraphs...pages even. Some have been lighthearted, often silly. Others, I like to think, thoughtful and an insight into the person (an actual real honest-to-deity-of-your-choice person) behind this username. Some, dare I say it, have contained more than a few emoticons. Heck, emoticons can even be helpful in adding some clarification to an otherwise open-to-interpretation text message.

I don't intend to pick up my toys and go home, as I enjoy the camraderie and advice on this board far too much to do that. I also do not think any of the opinions expressed are specifically referring to me. However, I can't say that I'm not in some way distressed that my passing 1000 posts has caused such a firestorm amongst the members of this forum. I never would have thought it would be such a problem.

7x6&C

da_blissmachine: bitch, bitch, bitch

did I get my point accross in one line?

I do not post short posts just to get my count up.... I come to the site more frequently to do that.... I post short posts because I have the rare skill of being able to get my point accross in few words. If you look above, I got a point accross in 3 words that I could have taken three pages to say, basically that several people are making a very big deal of a basically irrelevent point.

prepstudinsc: [quote author=sammygirly link=board=meetgreet;num=1065665315;start=20#28 date=10/13/03 at 16:01:23]Well bliss I gotta say it (don't I always eventually?) one sentence posts strictly to boost your post count annoy the bejeezus out of me and isn't the way to get recognized as a regular contributor to the board.

[/quote]

I'm with Sammy on this one....I hate it when people post almost nonsensical posts just to increase posting totals...it doesn't do anything for the board. I think the board is here to uplift each other, encourage each other, have fun, enlighten, etc. Posting for posting's sake doesn't do anything except tie up board space.

da_blissmachine: I'm with making a relevent point.... one liners can interfere with this but long posts can just as much. Studies show most points become irrelevant and repetitive after more than 3-5 lines. This post is becoming 5 lines long, and studies show that this leads to redundancy. In other words, relevance was lost.

In my opinion, one line of irrelevance is annoying but a page of it is worse (and wastes more board space).

And, no, I did not set out to just boost my count up. I merely started coming here more often and thought "hey I could get on the top 25", so I started actually reading posts I didn't think at first I would be interested in.... and if it turned out I had something to add, why not, I posted. If not, i didn't post. Althought there was the "money" topic.... some other members have told me they found it interesting, but did not have the knowledge to add....... clogging the board with "irrelevent" posts can go both ways.

prepstudinsc: [quote author=da_blissmachine link=board=meetgreet;num=1065665315;start=40#52 date=10/14/03 at 17:58:00]I'm with making a relevent point.... one liners can interfere with this but long posts can just as much.  Studies show most points become irrelevant and repetitive after more than 3-5 lines.  This post is becoming 5 lines long, and studies show that this leads to redundancy.  In other words, relevance was lost.

[/quote]

Well this post was 15 lines and said nothing, but even in your first 5 lines, it didn't say anything.

7x6andchg: Bliss -

Your explanation goes a long way. Of course if you're here more often you'll post more often. I think your mention of the Top 25 and willingness to crack it may have brought the hard light of scrutiny down upon you, and started this whole thing...

7x6&C

da_blissmachine: I have to admit it was a motivation.... but it didn't prompt me to post several dozen worthless posts (hypotheticl... not saying anyone has)

another thought: relevance is relative

7x6andchg: Obviously. Because if relevance wasn't relative everyone would post to every topic.

Tender: another thought: relevance is relative
Bliss,
thats pretty close to saying
one mans trash is another mans treasure.

i may write something, whether short OR long,
which may really touch someone else or help them in some way.
the next guy reading, well he thinks, we wasted type room for *that*?

this board would not be the same without you Paul.
so im glad your staying.....
:)
Tender

da_blissmachine: true.... one person may be absolutely interested in what I am eating, but the other 12,000 couldn't care less.

Something I don't care about could be relevant to 90% of the board.

Male seahorses carry their young in pouches.

The capital of Vanuatu is Port-Vila.

California is the only US state to have an element named after it.

Tender: Bliss,
just checkin...
do you alphabetize your food pantry?
or any such thing...?
:)
Tender