And another one down ...Another one bites the dust

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by B_kewlhandle, Dec 12, 2006.

1. B_kewlhandle

B_kewlhandle New Member

Albums:
    ENGLEWOOD, Colo. - The founding pastor of a second Colorado church has resigned over gay sex allegations, just weeks after the evangelical community was shaken by the scandal surrounding megachurch leader Ted Haggard.

Haggard, a gay-marriage opponent, admitted to unspecified "sexual immorality" when he resigned last month as president of the National Association of Evangelicals and pastor of the 14,000-member New Life Church in Colorado Springs. A male prostitute had said he had had sex with Haggard for three years.

On Sunday, Paul Barnes, founding pastor of the 2,100-member Grace Chapel in this Denver suburb, told his evangelical congregation in a videotaped message he had had sexual relations with other men and was stepping down.

Dave Palmer, associate pastor of Grace Chapel, told The Denver Post that Barnes confessed to him after the church received a call last week.
    The church board of elders accepted Barnes' resignation on Thursday.
    On the videotape, which The Post was allowed to view, Barnes told church members: "I have struggled with homosexuality since I was a 5-year-old boy. ... I can't tell you the number of nights I have cried myself to sleep, begging God to take this away."
    Barnes, 54, led Grace Chapel for 28 years. He and his wife have two adult children.
    Palmer said in a written statement that "While we cannot condone what he has done, we continue to support and love Paul."

2. madame_zora

Gold Member

Ahh, and how many will it take before they finally understand that you can't really change who you are inside, and that attempting to mask it only makes for a repressed monster. Repressed monsters molest children, become liars, alcoholics, drug abusers, and infect the lives of everyone they come into contact with. But hey, that's better than an out-of-the-closet gay man in a happy relationship, right? RIGHT?

3. B_Hung Muscle

B_Hung Muscle New Member

I wish some of them actually would 'fess up to doing it with a guy, admitting they liked it, and staying put at their freakin' churches.

Are there really enough rehab spaces left for ex-fundamentalist ministers, formerly closeted intern-grabbing members of congress, inane adolescent big-titted halfwit celeb-bimbos, anti-semitic half-talented movie stars, and racist two-bit one hit wonder former sitcom actors?

4. madame_zora

Gold Member

Haha, you have a good point! I wonder how much of the population would really benefit from some form of rehab? I bet it's far greater than anyone could imagine. If at least 10% of the population is gay, another 10% alcoholic, no one knows about drug dependants, codependants, and those suffering from various and sundry "isms", I'm led to believe that EVERYONE has some form of serious deficiency.

I agree, I'd like to see some of the preachers admit to being gay, and stay in church. I'd bet dollars to doughnuts that it would make Jesus smile. He DID command us to love one another.

5. IntoxicatingToxin

Gold Member

I agree! Who cares who you had sex with? Doesn't mean you have to quit your job... I mean, yeah, they'll probably get kicked out anyway, but at least stick around for the fight. And I think the rehab is a joke. They say it's actually helping people... if you ask me, I think it's some kind of brain washing. There are studies out there know that are about to prove that people are BORN gay... not a lotta ways rehab can fix that.

6. B_kewlhandle

B_kewlhandle New Member

Albums:
    They won't stay and fight because that would require real leadership and hard work. Preachers and priests, like politicians and others who live off the work of others without actually procucing anything, always follow the path of least resistance. It's a lot easier to follow the crowd and established dogma than to lead and break new ground.

I don't know if affectional orientation is inborn or develops early in childhood but it is certainly not a choice, as these preachers demonstrate. These preachers in a sense are victims of societal homophobia and their own self-hatred. Being discovered is probably the best thing for them. Once that happens, they can start life anew being who they are. That was the case with the former Governor of New Jersey, Jim McGreevey who set up home with his new partner, a Wall Street banker, in suburban NJ.

Draft saved Draft deleted