And from the "Far Side" - McCain on Gay Adoptions

McCain seems bowed by pressure from special interest groups. He'll pander to any conservative group to get their endorsement. It's sad and makes him look weak. I doubt few politicians have any principle that isn't for sale but this behavior coming from a man who cultivated and prided himself on the image of an independent outsider makes him look lost and servile. He still hasn't learned that the neocon/neofascist groups won't work. If he wants to win, he's got to be his own man and go back to pre-Reagan Republican policies that appeal to a broad range of Americans.

The Republicans used to be the party of individual and states' rights. A Republican of that stripe would simply say, "Marriage is the province of the states, that's for them to decide, not the president. The president only enforces the 14th Amendment." As to adoption, a traditional Republican would say, "Adoption is the business of private citizens. As president, I would only be interested in assuring any adoptive family provide care and education for that child as designated by law." That same Republican would rail against discrimination of any sort as being, "unAmerican," and, "all citizens must be equal in the eyes of the law." That's an old school Republican and, in my mind, the only Republican that could win this election. McCain ain't it. Lose the Moral Majority baggage and the Republicans might just be viable. He obviously hates pandering to these people and his comments in that article seem to imply that McCain doesn't even believe what he's saying. As a result the neocon/neofascists don't believe him but neither does the rest of the electorate. He's fucking himself from both ends and doesn't even know it.

McCain would be a vastly better candidate if he just followed his own star and realized he can't be all things to all special interest groups.

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Gay people who vote for Mccain deserve what they got comin' to 'em.

QFT.

I swear, the obvious choice has never been this blatantly clear before. I don't honestly know how any gay or lesbian would even consider voting for McCain. He's putting it out there as plain as day where he stands on Gay issues and their rights. If he'd rather see a child be parentless instead of letting he or she be raised by a same sex couple, then it's obvious that he doesn't give a damn about us. Forget any of the stupid Baracknaphobic Conspiracy theories out there. And don't spout anymore Ron Paul talk because he's not going to win and EVERYONE knows it. He gets no media coverage, and all of the talk on messageboards is not going to convince a army of brainwashed television viewers to see things his way. Like it or not, these people outnumber you and Democrats/Republicans control all of the images you see on TV when it comes to politics. And as the saying goes, the ones that control the images control the culture.

There's only one rational choice here. Let's not over think or overanalyze it.

SpeedoGuy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
.... I doubt few politicians have any principle that isn't for sale but this behavior coming from a man who cultivated and prided himself on the image of an independent outsider makes him look lost and servile.

But that's just it. McSame's carefully cultivated image as some kind of individualist "maverick" is just that: image.