And in recent developments ...

B_big dirigible

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
1. The regents of the University of Colorado finally fired Ward Churchill, the notorious faux professor, lefto-freakazoid cigar store Indian, and serial plagiarizer.

2. A GOP fundraiser in New Hampshire will feature a machine gun shoot.

3. Breasts Not Bombs and Code Pink staged topless protests at the launch party of the San Francisco headquarters of the Hillary for President Campaign.

One thing about the USA - it's certainly not boring.

agnslz

Loved Member
Media
Thank God for your first item! That guy strikes me as one who may turn violent, though. I just hope he doesn't decide to seek revenge somehow.:eek:

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
1. The regents of the University of Colorado finally fired Ward Churchill, the notorious faux professor, lefto-freakazoid cigar store Indian, and serial plagiarizer.
I've been (loosely) following this story, and have tried unsuccessfully to find some information. Do you know who has sponsored any of Churchill's "research"? I tried to find that, plus the work he allegedly plagiarised, but all of that is conveniently left out of the articles I could find - by both sides. This stuff interests me, and a good friend of mine investigates allegations of research misconduct professionally.

D_alex8

Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
...the work he allegedly plagiarised, but all of that is conveniently left out of the articles I could find - by both sides. This stuff interests me, and a good friend of mine investigates allegations of research misconduct professionally.

The University of Colorado's full report is available online as a .pdf file at:

http://www.colorado.edu/news/reports/churchill/download/WardChurchillReport.pdf

The discussion of plagiarism runs from p.83-93, with some passages reproduced for comparison on p.122-125.

B_big dirigible

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
UC investigated only a few specific allegations about attribution and sourcing in Churchill's books and papers. I think it avoided investigation of his manufactured Indian ethnicity, probably because that would lead to serious questions about just who at UC fucked up and made this unqualified goof a professor in the first place.

Wikipedia had an OK article for a while, Ward Churchill misconduct allegations,
Ward Churchill misconduct allegations - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia,
though it's been removed. The Google cache is here -
Ward Churchill misconduct issues - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
It has been modified a bit and put up on WikiInfo as Criticisms of Ward Churchill, at
Criticisms of Ward Churchill - Wikinfo
I'm afraid that no one-page summary can do justice to his career. His singing and dancing reminds me very much of the Michael Bellesiles scandal, although Bellesiles was perhaps a bit more elegant when cornered.

B_big dirigible

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
There's been another recent development of note - the Weekly World News is dropping its print edition. Now we'll have to get this stuff from Pravda.

So, no more standing in supermarket checkout lines and catching up on the latest about the 600 pound baby, the Bat Boy, the WW2 U-boat found on the moon, and all those great headlines like UFO Found on Beach After Killer Tsunami, LA Quake Opens the Gates of Hell, or Scientists Say Dinosaurs Sounded like Buicks.

Sic transit stupor mundi.

madame_zora

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
And I so wanted to post a link to the Breasts Not Bombs story, but this frickin' computer at the interweb cafe won't let me copy and paste. Having been in attendance in many such protests, I just knew that the ones sharing their goodies wouldn't be ones anyone would much want to see- and I was right. Still, a good cause and I'm sure a myriad of chuckles and groans were had by all.

So Big D, is your hand still sore after talking to me last night?

tripod

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Ward Churchill is THE MAN!!!!!! Gotta love the right wingers... yeah... go and get the report from the fucking University of Colorado for your propaganda needs, that's all you're gonna get!!!!

B_big dirigible

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response

Hand_Solo

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
That's a pity about the Weekly World News. How will I keep up to date on the latest prophecies of Nostradamus? I used to grab a copy for road trips with the wife and read her the stories while she drove.

SpeedoGuy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Is the investigation and firing of Ward Churchill consistent with disciplinary action taken against any other offending CU faculty for similar offenses? Or professors at other institutions? The report denied the investigation of Churchill was payback for his political comments but the timing of it can't help but suggests otherwise.

I didn't like Churchill's comments but this wouldn't be the first time a politically unpopular individual was railroaded out of his job by a committee convened to ruin him.

tripod

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Is the investigation and firing of Ward Churchill consistent with disciplinary action taken against any other offending CU faculty for similar offenses? Or professors at other institutions? The report denied the investigation of Churchill was payback for his political comments but the timing of it can't help but suggests otherwise.

I didn't like Churchill's comments but this wouldn't be the first time a politically unpopular individual was railroaded out of his job by a committee convened to ruin him.

You my friend are a TRUE proponet of free speech and should be a proud flag waver with an attitude like that.

Thanks Speedoguy!!!!

Free Speech has two ways of looking at it...

You allow free speech from people who's opinions you don't agree with...

or

You allow only people's opinions that you agree with.

Simple as that!!!

You will find that this is the true distinction of fascism from a free society!!

Ward's comment's of the "little Eichmann's" and his research into the Native people's genocide is what the University of Colorado seeks to supress and actually discredit. Ward is a leader in the Native American movement to shed light on the inhumane and evil treatment of their peoples. Sure, Ward's Indian heritage is in dispute and that has ramifications of his accepting scholarships and monetary aid in his education. I don't give a shit... it's all about the "little Eichmann" thing... he fucked up and made the "wrong" comparison, we all do it from time to time. If anyone has looked into the trial of Adolph Eichmann, and done some research into the illegal activities of the "Republic" of the United States on behalf of it'e people (we elect the leaders ya know?), they will soon see the comparible dynamics between the two.

Here is a link to Ward on Wikipedia if anyone is interested...

Ward Churchill 9/11 essay controversy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia