And then there was Kansas...

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by wispandex_bulge, May 6, 2005.

1. wispandex_bulge

Albums:
  2. jonb

Gold Member

Well, Kansas tried it before in 1999, and Ohio did it in 2002.

3. madame_zora

Gold Member

Yeah, no reason for us here not to just burn the damned books anyway, It's not like the teachers actually use them for anything. Our public schools have become a joke, our children are being taught "abstinenece only", lied to about condom failure rates (30%!!), given misinformation about how aids is transferred, it's truly obscene. Darwin is mocked in favor of Creationist theories and teacher's personal opinions were often appropriate matter for tests at my daughter's "school", and I do use the term loosely. Anyone who's not pissed off in Ohio is clearly too stupid to pay attention.

I'm expecting witch trials at any moment.

4. B_DoubleMeatWhopper

B_DoubleMeatWhopper New Member

For what it's worth, at the school where I teach Darwin's theory still reigns. Our biology teacher thinks the same way that my high school biology teacher thought: biology class is about science, not superstition. 'Abstinence only' is not taught, and accurate information on AIDS and prophylaxis is given to our students. I avoid test questions that are based on opinion, but for essays I want the students' opinions ... not mine. I already know what I think. All I ask is that they provide supporting evidence for their opinions. For a little redneck town, Jena is more enlightened than I had expected it to be.

5. madame_zora

Gold Member

That's incredibly good to hear, DMW! I suspected that Julianna's education was extremely sub-par, I grew up in a little red-neck town too back in the 70's and got a far better education that she got in the supposedly superior Cincinnati public schools twenty some years later. It was really a shame. It had a lot to do with my political bitterenss, but after 9/11 things went to hell fast here. Glad to know it's not the rule of the land.

6. jonb

Gold Member

Yeah, well, I've seen biology textbooks which have a small mention of bioethics and lists AIDS as a bioethical issue. (Kinda funny, since bioethics typically refers to philosophical matters in abortion, eugenics, stem cell research, human cloning, genetic modification, ex-gays, and so on. AIDS generally isn't a bioethical issue.)

Redneck towns can be quite enlightened. Actually, the most right-wing county in America is Orange County, also the richest county in America.

7. steve319

Gold Member

Wow, that's refreshing! I find it really encouraging to know that there are bastions of objectivity and sense out there somewhere (and in the rural south, no less).

So this is what? Utopia High School? El Dorado? ;)

8. Altairion

Gold Member

Albums:
    I remember back in 9th Grade when we were in Biology and were taught evolution. Our teacher really stressed that this it is just a theory and was not being presented as fact, and that anyone could talk to her if they had a problem with it. I think it was very well handled, but it did get annoying with how PC she was about it. Just for reference, my high school was a part of the great suburbia that surrounds Omaha.

9. Freddie53

Gold Member

I am also in a small town in Arkansas. The biology teacher presents the biology lesson as it should be presented.

When I taught sixth grade, I never had a problem. We were never told to not teach anything. There was some discussion about evolution among elementary teachers and the consensus was it should be taught as it is, a theory.

I taught comparisons of religions in Ancient Western Cultures. It was there that the faith beliefs of ancient cultures were taught. The sun gods of Egypt, the Mesopotamian Gods, the Greek Gods and the Hebrew Gods were presented as simply what the ancients thought. The students loved learning about what people thought back then. The question always came up about what Christians believed today/ I told them the truth. Some Christians believe the stories in Genesis to be factual and some believe they are symbols and figurative language.

When all else fails, tell the truth.

10. Altairion

Gold Member

Albums:
    I almost forgot about learning about Greek Gods and all. Since they were all so different, I really enjoyed learning about the beliefs that were connected with them. It's an entirely different branch with religion that isn't quite related to evolution (from what I know right off), but its really cool.

11. ashlar

Gold Member

Albums:
    On a slightly related topic I read in the local paper about a babtist priest who kicked a bunch of people out of the church for voting for Kerry. Turns out a bunch of lawyers are jumping his shit about it, as they well should. The church's tax-exempt status is also on the line because of the incidents.

After reading about that I thought to myself, "Self, now if the lawers are jumpin all over a church for bringing political issues into the church ... WHY OH WHY is no one jumping all over the govermentment for bringing the church into the government?"

Sometimes I think I'm the only one that remembers that old thing about the division of church and state.

12. madame_zora

Gold Member

Yeah, you and a few of us other leftist nutjobs.

13. db03

db03 Member

I remember being taught Evolution in Secondary School, and that was back in 97.

For a country with no official religion, the US is doin a good job at turning itself into the Christian version of Iran.

14. lacsap1

lacsap1 New Member

Albums:
    And this weekend GW Bush walks around in the Netherlands.
    Bush attend a ceremony Sunday marking the 60th anniversary of the Allied
    victory in Europe at the Margraten battlefield cemetery 10 km from Maastricht, where the graves of 8,301 Americans are spread neatly over a Dutch grassy hill. Bush is deeply unpopular in the Netherlands, even though our Dutch government supported the U.S. decision to invade Iraq. But it's an insult that Bush is coming to visit the war cemetery and abuse this ceremony to those who died in the Second World War for Dutch freedom and his socalled "the Global War on Terror".

Bush even doesn't know that freedom, democracy and liberty is and this is why
    there is gap between the transatlantic value differences;

-Failed to ratify the Convention on Children's Rights
    -International treaty to ban land mines (US abstained)
    -International Biological Weapons Convention (US opposition)
    -The International Criminal Court in The Hage/Den Haag (US opposition)
    -The Kyoto protocol on global warming (US rejected signing)
    -Abolition of the death penalty is a condition for EU as an free country.
    -A real full separation of Church and State.
    -A real constition saying that:
    All persons shall be treated equally in equal circumstances. Discrimination on the grounds of religion, belief, political opinion, race or sex or on other grounds whatsoever shall not be permitted. No one shall require prior permission to publish thoughts or opinions through the press, nor prior supervision of the content of a radio or television broadcast.

This ,and many others, contrast can stand for the differences between America and Europe/Netherlands.

15. surferboy

Gold Member

Albums:
    The silly Kansas people also wanna change the definition of science. Ah huh. Ya know, other countries are starting to look really good right now...

16. db03

db03 Member

Its a shame, but hopefully in 2008 someone will come in and un do all the damage this man has done.

17. B_DoubleMeatWhopper

B_DoubleMeatWhopper New Member

Go to an upstairs window in a two story building, cut open a pillow, empty all the feathers out the window. Then go outside and try to gather all the feathers back into pillowcase. Get my point?

18. jonb

Gold Member

Yeah, well, America's basically the people who were too ignorant to stay in Europe. I've said it before and I'll say it again.

Other than that, Europe's gone through the fascist phase with Hitler, Mussolini, Franco, and others.

Personally, I think William Jennings Bryan must be rolling over in his grave. The reason Bryan had a problem with evolution largely had a lot to do with pro-capitalist misinterpretations of it. Sadly, now the fundies are on the pro-corporate side.

19. jonb

Gold Member

It's aboot time you and Skai moved in Chris's hoose in Toronno, eh?

20. Dr Rock

Gold Member

who lives in the east 'neath the willow tree? Sex
    pffft. european governments are no more interested in freedom and personal liberty than bush & co are. government is ABOUT the destruction of freedoms and the wielding of power over others. nobody except psychopaths WANTS to do that in the first place ... hence the reason why governments are full of psychopaths. I live in both countries on and off, and i'm just as pissed off and fed up with blair's insipid "left-wing" government as i am with bush's nutty "right-wing" one, and for all the same reasons. politics and irrelevant nonsense like landmine treaties doesn't even come into it. it's the system ITSELF that's all wrong for the people who have to live under it.

Draft saved Draft deleted