And then there were eight. PLUTO. Planet no more.

Hatched69

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Pecker said:
How do you think that makes the poor little Plutolings feel?

"Imagine the chutspah of those Earthlings! Oi vey, they think they're the shit."

Poor Pluto.:disappointed:

It's all about the politics concerning the Klingons around Uranus......:wink:

Attachments

Media
rawbone8 said:
Pluto is demoted. Diminished. Dropped. Dissed.
Number 9 no more. Contract non-renewed. So off the island.

Heavenly body? Yes. Fully-fledged planet status? NO.

Pluto. In the end, its crime was simply being too boring.
Wallflower. Icy. Aloof. A dim dwarf. Definitely last to the party.

Not something you'd name a car after, would you?

Thanks for writing this, Rawbone! Brilliant! How dare they take away Pluto! My balance has been off since they did it. I was looking forward to the alternative plan of 12 planets!

Didn't Pluto get named after the Disney character? Anyone know?

Pensive Josh

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I don't believe Xena is actually a planet. That astronomy conference decided that those Pluto-esque bodies orbiting the sun along the outer edge of the solar system are going to be called "dwarf planets." The thing that bothers me is that they are changing everything that we were taught for some arbitrary reason. Pluto will probably just be like "fuck this" and go hang out with the comets in the Oort Cloud.

rawbone8

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Pensive Josh said:
I don't believe Xena is actually a planet. That astronomy conference decided that those Pluto-esque bodies orbiting the sun along the outer edge of the solar system are going to be called "dwarf planets." The thing that bothers me is that they are changing everything that we were taught for some arbitrary reason. Pluto will probably just be like "fuck this" and go hang out with the comets in the Oort Cloud.
I doubt Pluto gives a fig for any of this and continues its eccentric orbiting in the totally opposite direction to the rest of those oh-so-predictable planets.

rawbone8

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Matthew said:

thanks for that Matthew :tongue:

found this 80's gem of B-52s lyricism

You know what I say to your hot pants?
Say what?
Say get on down, ah ha ha...
I'm in shippin', if you're receivin'
'Cause what I see I ain't believin'
The longest legs in the shortest pants
You got me doin' a matin' dance
Pant pant
You got me pantin' like a dog
Pant pant
Ooo I'm a hot pants hot dog

D_Gunther Snotpole

Account Disabled
Media
rawbone8 said:
Shield the future generations of schoolchildren from oh-so-shady activity deep in bowels of the backroom at the Milky Way? Pluto has hardly ever been a model of straight and narrow behaviour. A bit of a wanderer, crossing over and entering into Neptune's orbit at times. (That's no more than open minded celestial friendliness at worst?)

Yes, well what about those infamous golden meteorite showers you've no doubt heard about and the bootlegged vids from Lick Observatory on the net? Not to name names, but Pluto's not alone in dabbling in that particular proclivity. Let's just say some extremely well known and beloved planets are known to indulge in that on an hourly basis.

Wonderful, very fun post, Rawbone.

B_big dirigible

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
rawbone8 said:
I doubt Pluto gives a fig for any of this and continues its eccentric orbiting in the totally opposite direction to the rest of those oh-so-predictable planets.

? All the planets (and the newly non-planets) are in orbits which are eccentric (though Venus isn't very eccentric) and prograde (in a Keplerian although not an astrological sense).

This is all stuff to keep grad students off the streets and not much more. I remember when the big crisis was whether to count Jupiter as a planet or a failed star (whatever that is).

rawbone8

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
big dirigible said:
? All the planets (and the newly non-planets) are in orbits which are eccentric (though Venus isn't very eccentric) and prograde (in a Keplerian although not an astrological sense).

This is all stuff to keep grad students off the streets and not much more. I remember when the big crisis was whether to count Jupiter as a planet or a failed star (whatever that is).
Thanks big dirigible. I know I am out of my depth here, so your help and clarification is welcome. BTW I was attempting to use (misuse?) the term "eccentric" metaphorically, referring to the oddness of Pluto. If I'm not mistaken, doesn't Pluto have a very eccentric orbit coming really close to the sun? My memories of high school physics are pretty fuzzy, but I thought that it orbits in a different direction than most of the other planets.

davidjh7

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
rawbone8 said:
Pluto is demoted. Diminished. Dropped. Dissed.
Number 9 no more. Contract non-renewed. So off the island.

Heavenly body? Yes. Fully-fledged planet status? NO.

Why this disfavour now? Seven decades of minor fame, and then it gets the hook.

Is it yet another case of over-reaching PC attitudes? Planetary correctness?

Shield the future generations of schoolchildren from oh-so-shady activity deep in bowels of the backroom at the Milky Way? Pluto has hardly ever been a model of straight and narrow behaviour. A bit of a wanderer, crossing over and entering into Neptune's orbit at times. (That's no more than open minded celestial friendliness at worst?)

Yes, well what about those infamous golden meteorite showers you've no doubt heard about and the bootlegged vids from Lick Observatory on the net? Not to name names, but Pluto's not alone in dabbling in that particular proclivity. Let's just say some extremely well known and beloved planets are known to indulge in that on an hourly basis.

We can tolerate the overwhelming brutish gravitational pull of Jupiter. Or the fiery temperament of Mercury. Abide that exhibitionistic orb that Venus flashes most evenings. And speaking of brazen, how about Saturn flaunting its... rings? Mars, never sure if it's here to fuck or fight. Earth. Candidate for narcissistic personality disorder? Always convinced it's the centre of the entire universe.

And please. Doesn't the debris around Uranus count for some demerits?

THis post totally rocks! Thanks!!

davidjh7

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
jeff black said:
Ridiculous...

Now What will My Very Education Mother Just Serve Us Nine of??

If your mother is serving NINE (think about the main topic of this website), then I think you have BIGER problems than the planets...:biggrin1:

davidjh7

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I just realized something---the other main reason Pluto was demoted from planetary status, to Dwarf planet status, besides its eccentric orbit, was because it was determined to be too small,and not "measure up" the the other planets. Who would have thunk it? THe international astromers are all a bunch of size queens!:biggrin1: Always fawning over Jupiter, making a fuss over how much the Sun spews out......it all makes sense now......:eek:

V72

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
rawbone8 said:
thanks for that Matthew :tongue:

found this 80's gem of B-52s lyricism

You know what I say to your hot pants?
...Ooo I'm a hot pants hot dog
Veering momentarily back off-topic -- Just to give The B-52's some deserved credit for their decades-spanning success and influence, Hot Pants Explosion is actually a 90s gem (taken from their '92 album Good Stuff, which also contained their moderately successful single of the same name). :smile:

dreamer20

Worshipped Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
rawbone8 said:
Why this disfavour now? Seven decades of minor fame, and then it gets the hook.

Is it yet another case of over-reaching PC attitudes? Planetary correctness?

I don't mind Pluto's status being ammended now. It and Charon were more like rogue moons than planets. They might both be of the same size too, but it will take an unmanned space mission to verify this.

SteveHd

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
rawbone8 said:
If I'm not mistaken, doesn't Pluto have a very eccentric orbit coming really close to the sun?
I don't think it's that eccentric, but it definitely crosses the orbit of Neptune. And that's one of the reasons it was demoted. If they ever collide, that will be the end of Pluto.
My memories of high school physics are pretty fuzzy, but I thought that it orbits in a different direction than most of the other planets.
A different angle but the same direction.