Andy Rooney dead at 92

GovNicholl

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
My Rooney radar pinged yesterday when I realized that I had not heard or read any follow-ups on Rooney's medical condition in several days. Thank you,
Despotellis, for the heads-up and the link about his remarkable and long-lived career. I heard it first on LPSG.org . . .

Fuzzy_

Legendary Member
Media
"All men are not created equal but should be treated as though they were under the law." - Andy Rooney

^ how brilliant is that?

Last edited:

TurkeyWithaSunburn

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
The measured cadence of his voice when making a gripe is how people SHOULD complain about things. Not with any anger or disgust just this is how I see it and it's bugging me.

Watched part of his last commentary on 60minutes and he said, "I get paid for speaking my mind, you don't get any luckier than that." That's a good thought.

He was 92, he lived a long productive life.

Last edited:

Zayne

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I always waited for the silly stuff he said at the end of 60 minutes. RIP, Mr. Rooney

ConanTheBarber

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I thought he was pretty mediocre but I liked him.
I remember when Laurence Tish was President of CBS back in the 1980s, he hadly wanted to get rid of Andy Rooney. Thought his then $400,000 pay cheque was wildly excessive. But he failed.
I liked Rooney's final interview on 60 Minutes. He still seemed totally lucid at his age ... not so much an attainment as a piece of luck. But it was good to see.
Pity that he only had such a short time in his retirement.
But to live to 92 and be in harness virtually to the end is something we can all devoutly hope for.

likes2seemore

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
sorry to disclose this,but mr rooney was a racist,bigoted hatefull man.he said horrible things about gay people...he was allowed to have his own opinion,but when even in the 21st century gay kids are being bullied into suicide...people in the media should be more responsible.just saying.........

Noooo - struck down in the prime of his life! :p

Seriously tho - didn't know the guy but, RIP. :)

FuzzyKen

Expert Member
Media
Andy Rooney was a man who survived on his unique personal outlook on life. He was unfortunately also a byproduct of his time. Mr. Rooney sincerely believed every word he uttered including the diatribe that for a time resulted in him being kicked off the airwaves.

There were times where his observations on life contained great humor, but those comedic observations were the product of observations and the thought process of his generation. The sad part was that his generation was not a generation of great compassion or tolerance for viewpoints other than what it had been taught. It was and still is a generation where individuals routinely ignore new, more accurate and current information replacing these new concepts with old tired concepts that have been found to have no basis in fact.

When one is a commentator or journalist it has always been a situation where you the commentator by your skill in writing report the facts and place yourself into the position of an observer allowing your reading or listening audience to form their own opinions based on the complete and detailed information you as the journalist present.

At this, like many individuals, Mr. Rooney proved he had feet of clay and he failed on a monumental level.

There is however a major difference between the writing and commentary of Mr. Rooney and many other conservative commentators. Andy Rooney presented information as he saw it and tainted as it was by his age and limited education in this area. Mr. Rooney simply committed a verbal and judgmental error of monumental proportions. Based on some of his more "controversial" commentaries over the years, because he has been in trouble more than once, there was no real malicious intent to do harm, he presented what his observations told him based on his limited and dated life experience and it blew up. This is unlike many conservative commentators and or journalists who know the facts, but choose to ignore them. It is unlike the individuals these days who sell their integrity and offer it to the highest bidder for ratings and a higher paycheck. Andy entertained me for many years and I applaud his talent and taking life's situations and for the most part bringing humor to the masses for many decades. He was a very flawed man however proving that he was not there for journalistic or information but as a source of light hearted entertainment based on his not always accurate information.

CUBE

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
sorry to disclose this,but mr rooney was a racist,bigoted hatefull man.he said horrible things about gay people...he was allowed to have his own opinion,but when even in the 21st century gay kids are being bullied into suicide...people in the media should be more responsible.just saying.........

This was my total thought on this guy. I have no loss of this man.

Hoss

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
He spake his mind even when others didn't like it. Unlike the morons that clutter the airwaves today he wasn't in it to look good or get ratings. May his soul and eyebrows find eternal peace.