Andy Warhols art

D_Barbi_Queue

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Anyone here consider themselves a Warhol-guru? I think I saw one of the original Marilyns tonight, but is there more than one?

While I was doing research about the company that my husband just started working for, one of the articles casually mentioned how the company's owner spent $25 million for one of Warhol's pieces. Now I'm starting to believe that what I thought was just a copy, may have been the real deal after all.

absinthium

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Originally posted by TexAssgirl@Aug 15 2005, 12:25 AM
Anyone here consider themselves a Warhol-guru? I think I saw one of the original Marilyns tonight, but is there more than one?

While I was doing research about the company that my husband just started working for, one of the articles casually mentioned how the company's owner spent $25 million for one of Warhol's pieces. Now I'm starting to believe that what I thought was just a copy, may have been the real deal after all.
[post=335593]Quoted post[/post]​

Warhol did silkscreen prints of many celebrities, including Marilyn. They are by their very nature easy to mass-produce, making it the perfect medium to support his point that we're spoonfed images by the media in rapid succession, with little concern for quality, placing more emphasis on glamour and/or titilation because it sells. (He did prints of gruesome car crashes as well.)
He also used Marilyn as subject matter several times, if I'm not mistaken, even outside of his silkscreens. Most artists I've studied to any degree seem to repeat themes and specific symbols... Mark Ryden loves his meat and Abraham Lincoln, Dali loved his Gala and famous melting clocks, and Warhol loved Campbell's soup and Marilyn.

Sorry to bust a nut over this. I just love art. Probably too much.

Ahem.

To simply answer your question, I have seen pictures of several Marilyns by Warhol. You might have seen a genuine piece, you lucky lady!

D_Barbi_Queue

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Thanks, Absinthe. Come to find out after a couple more hours of research, this guy is renown for some of his pieces of art he's collected. He has a Manet, Monet, Picasso, Pollock, another Warhol and a couple others that I didn't recognize off the top of my head.

I also found out that Warhol did 200 of the silk screen sets of Marilyn. Knowing all that, I don't doubt that what I saw was real. I only wish I had known it at the time so I could have studied it longer than 1 minute. Ah well, maybe I'll get a chance again....

absinthium

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Originally posted by TexAssgirl@Aug 15 2005, 10:39 AM
I only wish I had known it at the time so I could have studied it longer than 1 minute. Ah well, maybe I'll get a chance again....
[post=335671]Quoted post[/post]​

In any event, that's thoroughly awesome! I do hope you get a second chance with it.