Anita O'day

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by HellsKitchenmanNYC, Feb 21, 2011.

1. HellsKitchenmanNYC

Gold Member

Albums:
    I'm sure I've mentioned her before here but I was thinking of the last time I saw her live. She must have been about 88 or something. It was prob a 2 or 3 years before she died. SHe was booked into the infamous jazz club here in NYC. I think we paid like 70 dollars and there was a 2 drink minimum. We waited w/baited breath to hear Anita.
    Now picture you're at you're cousins wedding and your drunk aunt wants to sing at the hall. She's 90 and can barely stand.
    I don't know who convinced Anita it was a good time to go on toour given her age and memory problems. She had all her lyrics printed out on sheets on a stand and then forgot to look at them. At one point we all gasped because she almost fell off the stage but the drummer pulled her back.
    Anita was a genius and right before this I had heard an interview w/her on the radio. She sounded good and was living in some sort of assisted living or something and another singer, I forget now, not Ella Mae Morris but another singer like her was living in the same facility came into the interview.
    Personally, I like to think of Anita as the GENIUS she was. NO ONE will ever have her story and I highly doubt we'll ever see singers like this again!

Anita
    On 60 Minutes

Anita O'Day part 5

THere's no denying that Anita was one of musics most talented singers, Thanks again to Gene Krupa for discovering her!

There could prob be some comparisions w/the other jazzy great June Christy but honestly the two have their own niches in jazz.

So sweet when you stir it up!

IN the long run...
    I hope we can all we can all Get That Old Feeling!

Anita...yes always the best!

2. Bbucko

Gold Member

Albums:
    Brilliant quotation:

I love A O'D. I was introduced to her decades ago by a friend of a former lover/partner (whatever!) who sent us a coupla tapes for Xmas one year: one was Blondie, the other was Anita. I was long familiar with Billie, Ella, Sarah, Peggy, and Nina, but Anita was something different: not better, but very different.

It was only so very much later that I learned that Anita struggled with heroin; when I learned it, it made an odd kinda sense. Suddenly everything became clearer. I had the same reaction about Annie Ross.

3. midlifebear

Gold Member

She had a club where she sang every night on Santa Monica Blvd. $20 to get in. Strong drinks. Her scatting was superb. And this was just six years ago.

Everyone grows old. Considering the quantity of heroin and scotch that woman filtered through her body, she was at the top of her game and remains one of the greatest jazz singers of the 20th and 21st Centuries.

She's certainly not for the Brit'knee crowd.

Draft saved Draft deleted