Ankle adornment on men

Which came first, the Abercrombie or the Fitch?

I miss A&F from back when it was a luxe sporting goods store. Want to go on safari? A&F. Climbing Everest? A&F. Posted as governor of some south Pacific island chain? A&F.

From elephant guns to sedan chairs, A&F even had pith helmets.

My guess is nobody who shops there now has a clue what this store was back in its heydey. It's a pity.

Which came first, the Abercrombie or the Fitch?

Ezra Fitch was born 1866
David Abercrombie was born 1867

Ergo, the Fitch came first.

It's such a pity today's clientèle have no clue what this store used to be. Everything from elephant's foot umbrella stands to sedan chairs to pith helmets.

Going on safari? A&F. Ascending Everest? A&F. Need a full suite of breakfast, luncheon, tea, and supper china suitable for travel? A&F. I remember seeing ice yachts in the basement of the store. Amazing what they sold. The entirety of the cast and set from Out of Africa could have been furnished entirely by A&F. Definitely one of America's most top drawer stores.

lafever

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
faceking,

Yes, i`ve been many things, a hippie, surfer, leader of the pack, loner, jock, stoner, keger, councilor, sponsor, stud muffin, big brother, etc., etc., etc., as i have incredible cameleon skills, but never a yuppie.:smile: As i would have hung myself years ago.

lafever

Meniscus

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
My guess is nobody who shops there now has a clue what this store was back in its heydey. It's a pity.

I do. I believe I read somewhere that Teddy Roosevelt used to like their apparel.

From Wikipedia:
Prominent American figures who have worn clothing from the company include Charles Lindbergh, Amelia Earhart, John Sloan, Greta Garbo, Katharine Hepburn, Clark Gable, Harpo Marx, John Steinbeck, Tole Liberman, and author Ernest Hemingway (who is said to have bought the gun he used to commit suicide at Abercrombie & Fitch).

Meniscus

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
...he...wears a braided string around his ankle and sometimes a plain rubber band around his wrist. Help me out here. If a guy wears things like that around his ankle, is that a gay thing or is it just a yuppie Abercrombie type of thing to do...

As lafever said, it's more hippie than yuppie. I don't think it's a gay thing at all. Most gay men I know are fasion snobs and wouldn't be caught dead wearing anything so "earthy."

When I started college (14 years ago) there was a hot guy who lived down the hall from me who wore a hemp anklet. I was surprised to see a guy wearing ankle adornment, but I thought it was totally sexy. He was straight-identified and pretty homophobic, although I later learned that he has a gay brother (one of the few openly gay actors).

Over the years, I've seen a fair number of college-aged and 20-something guys wearing anklets, usually hemp or puka shell, sometimes beaded. They're not the majority by any means, but they're out there.

Tony Ward, Madonna's ex boyfriend from the early 1990s, sometimes wore a hemp anklet. Pics attached.

Oh, by the way, that guy from college may have been hot looking, but had a reputation for poor hygiene. His suitemates would warn women not to sleep with him; or at least to wash him in Lysol first.

Hemp Jewelry

Attachments

D_Roland_D_Hay

Account Disabled
Media
After reading this thread, I guess I will have to change my orientation towards more gay...I was surfing in Costa Rica several months ago and a little girl from a family I met tied a string thing around my ankle as a symbol of friendship. It isn't feminine--I have actually received compliments about it. I haven't taken it off as I guess I am still in the post "feel good/memory" phase from my trip. I never thought of it as A&F or "gay"...

mattyacht

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Rico,
Thanks for your input. I kinda though it may be some sort of friendship thing too. It is very sexy on him, but he could pull anything and get away with it.

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I first saw these when I lived in Hawaii! They represent friendship and you wear it all the time until it falls off by it self and you get to make a wish and everything! I had one last about a year!

Male Bonding etc

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
From elephant guns to sedan chairs, A&F even had pith helmets.

I remember that elephant gun! It was like 16 feet long, mounted on the wall of the 3rd or 4th floor. I had to ask my dad what it was.

As far as the anklet, it's like a signal (intended or not) to guys who look: "maybe I am not adverse to alternative sexual experiences."

SpoiledPrincess

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I love anklets but I would find it a little strange if a man wore one, adornments are for me not them :) Incidentally I almost had a huge argument with a woman at work who insisted on calling them ankle bracelets, grrrr. My little talk on bracers, brachial arteries etc all being to do with the wrist failed to convince her so I had to hit her with my long arm stapler.

mattyacht

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
No Response
As far as the anklet, it's like a signal (intended or not) to guys who look: "maybe I am not adverse to alternative sexual experiences."

Aaaaah!!! I like that answer.