Anna Nicole Smith's remains

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by DC_DEEP, Feb 23, 2007.

1. DC_DEEP

Gold Member

Ordinarily, I could not possibly care less about her, but on the news I heard that the judge has given custody of her remains to her baby daughter's guardian (obviously no legal connection to the decedent herself). Her mother wanted to take her back to Texas for burial. It is appalling.

I have also been following a story about a gay couple, legally married in a Quaker wedding, where one died, and even with a will and other documentation, the surviving spouse was denied custody and disposition of the body. Custody was given to the decedent's parents (who, by the way, had previously "disowned" him because he was gay.)

Just another couple of activist judges making the wrong decisions for the wrong reasons, and perpetuating heinous discrimination.

2. prepstudinsc

Gold Member

I was surprised that her mother was not given custody of the body, because technically, the remains would be given to the legal next of kin--spouse, parents, children over the age of 18, siblings, etc. Since she and Howard K. Stern are not married, he wouldn't be able to take custody of the remains, so the line of succession would fall to her mother. If her mother was incapacitated or dead, then it would fall to her siblings as a group. The whole thing is screwed up, the media has given it way too much attention, and now we're subjected to hearing about this 24/7. When it comes up on the news, I turn the channel. She was a skanky white trash gold digger drug addict and didn't deserve anything from the Marshall estate, nor does she deserve the media attention.

3. B_Hickboy

B_Hickboy New Member

She didn't claim any dignity for herself in life, now nobody seems willing to grant her any. Very sad.

4. prepstudinsc

Gold Member

The sad part is that she was so tragic and played into the whole thing. She shunned everyone who tried to help her, such as Larry Birkhead and her own mother. Howard K. Stern is a user who saw her as a meal ticket.
    It was a whole vicious cycle of dysfunction.

5. DC_DEEP

Gold Member

That's why I even bothered to post this, Monty. What in the hell was that idiot judge thinking? Her baby's legal guardian getting custody of her remains? Of course her mother should have had that honor.

I agree that she was a skanky white trash gold digger. I heard one commentator say "she was famous, well, because she was famous." I had never heard of her before her "marriage" to the old geezer; I thought she was nasty then, I thought she was nasty right up until her death. But the fact remains that the judge ruled completely improperly.

6. prepstudinsc

Gold Member

I think that her mother could protest the verdict and take control. However, the judge was probably going on the fact that Anna Nicole wanted to be buried in the Bahamas and her mother wants to bury her in Texas, as well as the fact that the two were estranged. However, the law is the law.

What was up with the judge crying while he read the verdict?

7. dudepiston

dudepiston New Member

Did any of you catch the judge who tried this case? The guy was a hoot. Or horribly disturbed, one. I mean, he cried, he laughed, he cracked jokes. He brought the media circus right into the courtroom with him. I'm thinking his decisions will be overturned very quickly on appeal.

8. chavous

chavous New Member

She had not seen her mother in over 10 (ten) years by choice.We can't help the family we are born in to but we can create our own as adults and like it or not that is what ANNA did. She had been with Howard K. Stern by choice since 1986. I don't pretend to know why but she was a adult and made her choice. Did you see the video of her saying she never wanted to see her mother again?She accused her mother of being abusive. Anna chose to bury her son in the Bahamas and that is where she would want to be....beside him ,as she had lived her life.Who knows what will happen but Howard is not all bad---Anna was an adult and he may have enabled her but she made her on choices.A drug addicted person is sick and many times their loved ones get sick with them.They think they are helping.Have you ever seen anyone go through OPIATE withdrawal?? It is very difficult and heartbreaking.Anna was human just like the rest of us just trying to do the best she could. I try not to judge people never knowing what they have really been through. I just wish ANNA peace!!

9. DC_DEEP

Gold Member

I don't argue with either of these points, chavous, I'm simply speaking to the legal aspects. For some citizens, the law inflexibly grants some rights; for other citizens in the same situation, the law inflexibly denies those same rights. Her pre-mortem wishes may very well have been burial in the Bahamas, but legally speaking, I doubt that a person who had no legal connection to her (they were not legally married, right?) would be entitled to custody of her remains.

10. chavous

chavous New Member

The remains were not granted to Howard but rather an attorney representing Dannylin. The judge recognised her (the baby) as the next of kin and it is that attorney who made the decision on her being buried in Th Bahammas. I just watched a group of lawyers on CNN and most think it will hold up in court when Anna's mother files her appeal.Interesting.....

11. DC_DEEP

Gold Member

Yes, interesting. The CNN article says custody of Smith's body was awarded to Richard Milstein, and identified him as guardian ad litem - a court-appointed guardian charged with protecting minor children during court procedings. It does not seem to me that a guardian ad litem should have legal standing to decide disposition of the decedent's remains; but then again, I'm not an attorney.

12. AlteredEgo

Gold Member

Albums:
    Her mother is not her next of kin. Having buried both of my parents, I can tell you that for sure. Their parents were alive when they died, and I was a minor when my father died, but I was the next of kin, and courts named me executor of the estates. (Well, my grandmother was my next of kin, and she was the one who was named, but she was named as MY next of kin, not my father's. ) The judge did the right thing. ANd her mother wants to bury her in Texas? Big deal. Were they not estranged? Did she not choose to bury her son in the islands? Don't you think she might have preferred to be buried with her son?

As for her "not deserving anything from the Marshall estate" she was the man's wife. He chose her. Whatever her reasons for marying the man, he chose her. A man of his wealth had to be used to goldiggers. Still, he wanted this one (if that's what she was). Maybe he was funny. Maybe she was looking for a father figure. Maybe he had a big penis. Maybe she enjoyed the novelty of a relationship with him. Maybe he was able to be vulnerable in a way she'd never witnessed in a man before. You don't know. His family is disgusting; fighting over money like spoiled brats. Lord knows if I die with lots of money my family isn't getting it. I started with nothing- real estate should be enough for them. They should make their own way. Anything liquid, I'd just as soon give to charities.

If I see Ms. Smith on the news again in my life it will be too soon.

13. scanjock8

scanjock8 Active Member

Albums:
    You said it. The old man had a thing for strippers and lavished her with gifts for two years before they married. If I were an 89 year old billionaire on my deathbed I'd gladly pay for the companionship of a beautiful younger woman. And die happy.

14. 50%more

50%more New Member

Albums:
    Well said.

You know when I hear people say she is the next Marylin Monroe, I say "But Marylin Monroe at least had a little class."

15. Gisella

Gold Member

What I find fascinating about all of that is the law itself..so much stuff and layers of it and sections and whatever..hmmm..even if people say the judge and everything was circus..the pure law and stuff that can happen in court rooms that plays as law supose to flow with everybody involved as judge, lawyers etc know the book like masters it is very beautiful to observe to my mind.

But the only thing I think about this situation is really the little baby...just imagine "if "her mother abused many drugs, when baby was in uterus it was hard, and all the emotional stuff..plus now she does not have a steady place to just grow with someone who loves her etc...she may change hands many few times, and etc what can leave stuff inside her..plus have to deal with her mother legacy etc...plus paparazzi following her through her life..omg. I hope somebody take care of her soon and give "normal" inverionment for her.

16. longstud9inches

longstud9inches New Member

Think she was a sad person-a train wreck in the processs. Not the next Marilyn Monroe or Jayne Mansfield. Some people think she is more of a pain in the ass dead than alive. Me-I think it’s all about the money she inherited. Hard time seeing it as love with the Vultures and tabloid press around. Big breast can only get you so far in Hollywood these days. Big Weiner, too.

17. Kiamo

Kiamo Member

I'm curious about what is going to happen to the Marshal estate. Ms. Smith's will specifically stated that all of it would go to her son in the event of her death, as well as explicitly stating about the provisions for future heirs/spouses. (Approximately: Zilch.)

18. prepstudinsc

Gold Member

Generally the lineage goes as follows:
    1. spouse--if there is no spouse,
    2. children of major age--if not of age,
    3. parents--if no parent is alive,
    4. siblings, in order of age.
    From there, it's a toss up, it can go to grandparents, aunts/uncles, cousins, etc.

I've had to work through the line of succession before and it's a pain in the neck. In one case, we had to get the court to declare the person indigent so the man's partner could bury him as "charity". The deceased man had no family, and had been estranged from them for years. The partner knew no one from the family, so we appealed to the court so we could bury him. It's sad in a case like that, where two people have been in a committed relationship, but because of the laws, he couldn't officially bury his partner, unless he was burying a ward of the state, as a charity case.

In the case of Anna Nicole, she has a living mother and siblings, so they really should be the ones to decide. Howard K. Stern might have known what she wanted, but according to laws, since there were not married, he should have no control over anything.

I think that they were/are both gold diggers, looking for a free meal ticket.

19. DC_DEEP

Gold Member

Even so, what astounds me (and no one seems to agree with me) is that a court-appointed guardian of a 5-month-old baby was awarded custody of the remains. I have not really researched the case, but in the report I did read (CNN-dot-com) it stated that Milstein got custody of the remains, and described him as guardian ad litem - defined as a court appointed guardian for a minor child. How is it in anyone's best interest (or entirely legal, for that matter) that he would qualify, in favor of even previously estranged blood relatives?

20. Countryguy63

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Regardless of what I "have" always thought about her (it wasn't very good), I felt so, so bad when I watched Howard "Scum" video taping her with her face painted up, obviously on some sort of drugs. No one should be humiliated like that.

Draft saved Draft deleted