ANNOUNCEMENT: Important Info

Media
A deli near my house has bestowed upon me the greatest honor, naming a sandwich after me. Jokingly I'm referred to as the "Emperor of College Point", College Point being my town, and the sandwich being named "The Emperor". Once I come up with 2 finalist sandwiches I'm going to taste them myself and with various friends to see which gets a higher approval rating.

So I thought I'd come here and see what interesting ideas you'd all have since most of you are geniuses. One friend came up with the idea to use French Toast as the bread for the sandwich, instead of a roll or hero. That sounds interesting, but I didn't want it to get branded as a breakfast sandwich. All ideas are welcomed, theres tons on the menu so I'm sure some mentioned here will be repeats, but still throw out all ideas.

snoozan

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
The Monte Cristo is probably the most famous (in the US) sandwich made on french toast and is decidedly not a breakfast item. I like the idea of a sweet and savory sandwich, possibly something with a sharp cheese, a sweet bread or roll, and meat or other savory fillings.

What do you like to eat? What's your style?

huw ginnit

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
The best sandwich in the world is,

Wholemeal vienna roll, toasted and spread on one side mayo, then one side cream cheese; iceburg lettuce; crispy bacon; sliced turkey; (or poached chicken for a more moist bite), slices of Hass avocado; and Sage and Onion stuffing, nice and sloppy, oh and Coleslaw for a crunch....

It costs me about £4.00 at my local sandwich shop but worth every penny.

It make lunch worth bothering with, it's not the most exotic, but the flavours work SO well together. Try it!

snoozan

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
The best sandwich in the world is,

Wholemeal vienna roll, toasted and spread on one side mayo, then one side cream cheese; iceburg lettuce; crispy bacon; sliced turkey; (or poached chicken for a more moist bite), slices of Hass avocado; and Sage and Onion stuffing, nice and sloppy, oh and Coleslaw for a crunch....

It costs me about £4.00 at my local sandwich shop but worth every penny.

It make lunch worth bothering with, it's not the most exotic, but the flavours work SO well together. Try it!

i'm drooling now.

Aitch

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Years ago, I worked on an industrial estate where a little catering van had set up shop. Every morning on my way into work I'd get myself a baguette filled with: several rashers of squeaky bacon, two fried eggs & mushrooms (fried with garlic). Yum!
Nowadays, I dont eat bread, rarely eat meat or eggs or mushrooms...

HazelGod

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I love sandwiches as much as the next guy with a hefty wang, and maybe moreso...but is the subject line on the topic ( ANNOUNCEMENT: Important Info) really appropriate, given the author's moderator status?

burns1de

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I love sandwiches as much as the next guy with a hefty wang, and maybe moreso...but is the subject line on the topic ( ANNOUNCEMENT: Important Info) really appropriate, given the author's moderator status?

OrbitzXT hasn't been a mod for a couple of weeks now, dude.

rubberwilli

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
My personal fave sandwich is a "black russian." Built as follows:

Pumpernickle
Swiss Cheese
Russian Dressing
Roast Beef
Lettuce
Pumpernickle
Russian dressing
Ham
Tomato
Pumpernickle

Eva

Experimental Member
Media
I love a light layer of pesto in a sammich. And arugula. There's a certain taste to arugula to me that is better than just about any other lettuce thing out there.

My favourite sammich is on a real crusty cibatta bread, a layer of pesto, some yummy gouda cheese, arugula, and tomato slices. Not even any meat.

But if you added some really quality panchetta or prosciutto, my clothes might fall right off.

Osiris

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Top 3 sandwiches in my book:

Corned beef, Jarlsberg cheese, tomatoes, sprouts light mayo on sourdough bread.

Jarlsberg cheese on black or marble rye, buttered and grilled.

And the all time favorite, the Gates & Sons BBQ Combo and a half:

One slice white bread topped with a pound smoked ham, slather Gates sauce on, add another slice of white bread, pile on a pound of smoked brisket, slather with more Gates sauce and top with one last slice of white bread. Served with thick sliced dill pickles chips and a side of Gates steak fries. You eat all of this, you won't be hungry for a week. Only available in Kansas City, Missouri.

Go have one for me Meg.

JustAsking

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
This is the best sandwich ever.

Southern New England Grinder:

Grinder bread (a kind of hard sub roll) sliced like a sub roll
Lots of Olive Oil on the bread.
Layer of sandwich grade aged dry provolone (60 days aged)
Layer of Cotto or Cooked Salami
Toast under broiler
Layer of sliced tomatoes
Layer of shredded iceberg lettuce which has been soaking in Olive Oil
Liberal salt and pepper on the oil soaked lettuce.

This sandwich sounds pretty ordinary, but the secret is the quality of ingredients and the proper amount of salt and pepper on the Olive Oil. When this is done right, it is exquisite. The other secret is the Grinder roll which is hard to find outside of SE New England. It is like an Italian sub roll, but it is strong enough to stand up under the olive oil. It has a paper thin crust on it that is so hard it can cut the roof of your mouth.

SE New Englanders would kill for a properly made "regular" Grinder.

The Grinder was invented in New London, CT. The best Grinder is made at Ocean Ave. Pizza in New London, CT. But anyplace in the are run by Greeks will do. (Yes, the best pizza and grinders are made by Greeks).

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
The summer I spent in Italy we would go to this little mom and pop shop called the A&O every day and get sandwiches at the small deli counter in the back of the store.

I experimented a bit, but settled into a groove after I found the sandwich of my dreams. :smile:

Liberally slather both sides of the rosemary focaccia bread with fresh pesto. Then layer slices of fresh buffalo mozzarella, tomato, and artichoke hearts. Toast sandwich briefly so that the cheese melts onto the artichoke hearts and the oil from the pesto seeps into the bread.

It's delicious and I'm a carnivore. :smile:

Drifterwood

Superior Member
Media
Oven Baked Ciabatta, filled with
Ripe avocado
Balsamic vinegar
Sliced ripe plum tomatoes
Lots and lots of black pepper
Parma ham
drizzle with extra virgin olive oil

Drool and devour, with a glass of Barolo.

Eva

Experimental Member
Media
The summer I spent in Italy we would go to this little mom and pop shop called the A&O every day and get sandwiches at the small deli counter in the back of the store.

I experimented a bit, but settled into a groove after I found the sandwich of my dreams. :smile:

Liberally slather both sides of the rosemary focaccia bread with fresh pesto. Then layer slices of fresh buffalo mozzarella, tomato, and artichoke hearts. Toast sandwich briefly so that the cheese melts onto the artichoke hearts and the oil from the pesto seeps into the bread.

It's delicious and I'm a carnivore. :smile:

Mmmmm. We can be sammich twins any day! That sounds delish!!

snoozan

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
lightly toasted hearty multigrain bread with nuts sunflowers, etc. spread with nutella. add slices of strawberry soaked in a sugar solution and dust with confectioner's sugar, garnish with fresh mint leaves.

it's not really a dessert, but a sweeter take on a sandwich. i'd eat it with a fresh salad featuring walnuts and cranberries with a honey mustard dressing, or a good fruit salad.

also--

chicken salad made with apples, grapes, curry powder, and dill weed on toasted thick brown bread with honey-soaked stilton cheese.