Annoying Stereotypes...

B_Think_Kink

Sexy Member
Media
I was thinking about this in the shower today after my house cleaner left...

-All through high school people on my bus poked jokes at me for having a house cleaner... saying I must be rich. I hated that so much.

-I've been harassed at work for being allowed to drive my parents brand new Dodge Truck, and Ford Escape... Spoiled and rich I was called again.

We've discussed sexual orientation stereotypes, what other's do you know of that you hate? Maybe things that were said to and about you at some point.

D_Humper E Bogart

Experimental Member
Media
Being intelligant and black makes people think I'm a freak. I wear glasses and keep excellant posture as well as great vocabulary so people tend to think I'm a lawyer or slimeball or other wigga design.

It's why I like my area so much. It's full of friendly scum. :) (Even if they do want to destroy all infidels, or so it seems!)

No_Strings

Expert Member
Media
-I'm a teenager, therefore not an adult. (Or more specifically, a man)

-I curse, drink and play football, therefore I'm a chav or yob (English colloqualism, see Here

I could go on about all the sterotypes that come with being an 18 year old male, but there's one recurring situation, which both extremely angers me, and almost makes me want to cry.

When out walking (be it with friends or on my own), whenever I pass a woman of a certain age and up (say, mid-twenties), I'll notice them swerve away ever so slightly, clutch their handbag a little tighter, try and avoid eye contact. (Which has an added bonus of annoyance as I adore eye contact with anyone, for any reason - it's probably my primary form of communication. And I'll wait until any eye contact with a stranger before nodding an hello))

I'm a young guy, with dark eyes and now sporting an alcohol induced crewcut - apparently this makes me more likely to mug someone in crowded daylight than anyone else on the same street. :rolleyes:

snoozan

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I'm indolent, poorly educated, ignorant, devoid of social graces, and I have sex with family members and farm animals.

Oh, and a kneejerk lockstep religious right wingnut at that.

Honey, is that you, my darling husband? I didn't know you posted here.

IntoxicatingToxin

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I hate that people see that I'm overweight and automatically assume that I eat nothing but junk food, I'm lazy, don't exercise, and I'm a slob. For some reason, they also seem to assume that I have no emotions, and that it's okay to tease me about it to my face because I must not care. I'm with DJG about the tattoos. I also have my eyebrows pierced. People assume I'm a freak. Another stereotype... people think I'm a lesbian because I have short hair. Like there's no other reason for me to have short hair? I can think of a ton. Some people think that because I got pregnant at 18 and have never been married that I'm an easy slut. I'm sure there are more...

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Way back when I was in high school, I grew my hair long and had "questionable" friends, so most of the faculty assumed I was a lazy drugged out flunky and troublemaker. It always really caught them off guard when I was quiet, attentive, and polite in class... and setting the grade curves, acing the tests.

On a tangential note, it's at least as annoying when I go off on someone for making stereotype assumptions about another person... then that other person proceeds to exhibit the worst of those stereotypes. I try to be all egalitarian, then have to eat my words.

Gillette

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I'm indolent, poorly educated, ignorant, devoid of social graces, and I have sex with family members and farm animals.

Oh, and a kneejerk lockstep religious right wingnut at that.

We know, Babe, but we still love you anyway.

I get irritated by all stereotypes, but I get particularly annoyed when people absolve themselves by saying "it's a good stereotype", like saying that all black men are hung or that Jewish people are good with money.

It doesn't matter that they're specifying a positive trait. The fact they're making assumptions based on race is just plain stupid.

nakedwally

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
i hate the stereotype towards people who have mental issues such as depression or bipolar people look at you kinda weird and treat you like a child cause they think you are schitso or somethin, even here on LPSG, i suffer from occasional depression and am sterotyped under the psycho/schitso role i hate it

naughty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
i hate the stereotype towards people who have mental issues such as depression or bipolar people look at you kinda weird and treat you like a child cause they think you are schitso or somethin, even here on LPSG, i suffer from occasional depression and am sterotyped under the psycho/schitso role i hate it

Sweetheart, I would wager a guess that almost half of our members have had some type of issue if not still dealing with it. You are among friends here.

heavy-chevy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
There was this one kid I knew, back in high school, and his bigot stupid-bitch mom thought I was a bad influence on him simply because I like heavy-metal and I used to wear the baggy pants, band shirts, and those big chains. Atleast I didn't wear face paint and makeup.

Kassokilleri2ff

Experimental Member
Media
There was this one kid I knew, back in high school, and his bigot stupid-bitch mom thought I was a bad influence on him simply because I like heavy-metal and I used to wear the baggy pants, band shirts, and those big chains. Atleast I didn't wear face paint and makeup.

oh man, so many metal steriotypes.
1. i worship the devil
2. im angry
3. i like slipknot ( pfft hardly metal)
4. i was a neglected child
5. im gothis (how do goths have anything to do with metal)
6. im dark and depressed.
7. i like my music lyrics to say "kill kill murder murder" (true)

yea.
im athiest, i dont believe in the devil

Metal is not angry music, the rock you hear on the radio is 100x more angry.

Slipknot is not a metal band.

my parents love me very much and i grew up well considering being very poor.

Im definatly not gothic, ithink you can get shot for calling a metal head goth.

Im not depressed, and im only dark in a way that i say violent things alot ahahah.