Another example of fundamentalist Christian "love"

Discussion in 'Politics' started by B_Nick8, Sep 23, 2011.

1. B_Nick8

B_Nick8 New Member

New York City, by way of Marblehead, Boston and Ge
  2. Jason

Gold Member

Hi Nick,

try disorganised religion - Quakers. No creed, no dogma, no church sacraments, precious little church structure (okay someone has to pay the electricity bill, but that's about it). Bible is a reflection of the word of God, not the word of God (we see through a glass darkly and all that).

Heard the one about the two Quakers who were asked for their view on a moral issue? They came up with three answers.

Yes I'm pretty horrified by the fundamentalists, though I suppose at least they have faith. Though there are two views even on that ...

3. travis1985

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I think the truth about this organization is likely somewhere in between the two extremes being portrayed in the feature. You have to remember that we live in an era where there is a lot to be gained by "coming forward" with stories about abuse from employees and volunteers of a religious group. I do not claim that these former students are completely making up a fairy tale, but I do suggest we take their stories with the proverbial grain of salt. Even if these claims are true to the letter, it's important to remember that this group represents only themselves, not "organized religion" or even "fanatics" as a whole. Shocking stories are the ones aired on CNN, while the many churches and religious citizens who do good in their communities and the world tend to go unreported on.

4. vince

Gold Member

Albums:
    Humiliation of children is a "habit"... Interesting. I hope some authorities are investigating this organization.

5. midlifebear

Gold Member

Sorry, travis1985: I'm certain you'll discover that most Baptists think this particular Baptist is "following the word of god." At least the mentally ill conservative Baptists, which tend to be the norm. There is no excuse for striking a child or an adult for that matter. You're apologist view is one that would be considered "liberal" in the Dark Ages. But in 21st Century USA it has no place to excuse such behavior.

6. monel

Gold Member

The good pastor ooozes hate and contempt. Glad to see he is so confident in his interpretation of a fiction that he is willing to subject children to his horrific love. I sometime wish I were more of a believer than I am. At least then I could have the satisfaction of knowing that self-righteous vermin like this guy would eventually burn.

7. Horrible

Horrible New Member

Albums:
    Oh no! I am appalled at individuals being held responsible for their actions, and there sometimes being consequences for those actions.

You have got to be fucking kidding me. Oh wait, its on CNN, that's right...

8. Mensch1351

Gold Member

In the only other State that begins with "K"!
    OK Nick --- the point of the CNN video is to point out that "some" Christian Pastors go waaaaay too far in taking the Bible literally in certain aspects. Truthfully -- this Pastor needs therapy. So does any of his staff who follow these kinds of regulations of brutality. That said however --- it's only news if it's "dramatic." The Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod has run parochial schools since its inception in 1847. I attended one in Pittsburgh, PA from the 5th to the 8th grade. I went to college with many graduates of Lutheran High Schools. This was in the 1970's when being a strong disciplinarian would have been praised instead of abhorred in today's world. I never experienced, nor did I ever hear of anyone being physically abused in any of our schools. Did it EVER happen -- I'm sure it did --- there are sickos in ALL fields of Education both public and private!

I don't disagree with you that such behavior on the part of some fundamentalist sects is totally abhorant AND really not Christian. But I would also caution you not to draw conclusions that all Christians behave in this way. I've said before on this blog that Mainline Christian Church's have sadly allowed the Fundamentalists to speak for ALL of us -- when I would hope that the thinking people of this country would see that trotting out the exceptions does not necessarily make for truth.

One more example. I believe at last count around 500 Priests have been accused for sexual abuse of minors. Terrible Terrible Terrible (and shame on those Bishops for covering it up!) However -- there are over 40,000 priests serving in the U.S. Who gets the press??? What impression is left???

Just don't judge all Christians for the behavior of the few!

9. bigbull29

Gold Member

Albums:

Good post!

Those radical "Christian" groups call themselves Christian but we all know they are not. And for the few sick and twisted members of other mainline Christian churches -- shame on you! You're the reason why Christianity becomes a punching bag for non-believers.

Some questions to ponder:

Where would this world be without Christian charity?

Was Hitler representative of all Germans?

Where does the Western world's idea of civility come from? Just Ancient Greece?

How do the filthy sins of Christians make the teachings and beliefs of the religion false?

All that said above, if someone wants to see authentic Christianity in action, please view the film "Into Great Silence" (made by a non-Christian man, I believe).

#9 bigbull29, Sep 23, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2011
  10. hsarge

Gold Member

You break a childs spirit and you can make him what you want. Also a wise man once told me 'never judge Christ by the actions of christians'.

11. ramsgate18

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    hmmmm i dont dislike religion as a whole, i see it as having a purpose in society, what i cant stand are the people who use their religion to protect them selves from reprimand, in my experience i get, "i dont mind you homos (a term that still bugs me) but AS A CHRISTIAN i can not support gay marriage!"

what i loved in that clip was everytime the reporter went to chastise the pastor, out came the handy bible quote

people dont realise this but at 20 i have read the bible cover to cover, and so i have shocked many of the religious, my favourite being a jehovas witness who came to my door offering me a bible study aid, i thanked him politely but explaining i am now a buddhist and therefore dont need one, he insisted and i asked what jehovas witness's views on homosexuality were, he said it was a no no so i said "shucks thats me out!"

he then asked if buddhism allowed me to be gay which made my mother laugh, and i said yes we r more about trying to lead a good life, before parting he threw at me the quote "man shall not lie with man as he lies with woman" (forgive me if i am misquoting) so i paused breathed and said calmly

"right as a christian you believe you should follow the bible word for word yes? (he nodded) well in that same verse, laviticus, it says if a woman is in mourning she shall shave her head, if shes on her period she must leave the city, and if a man has sex with a goat he will be stoned to death, as will the goat! do you believe we should follow these rules?"

he looked absolutley gobsmacked, my mum applauded me so i said "dont quote the bible to a man who has read the bible!"

i realise i have gone off on a tangent, my point is people who follow a religion properly dont need to use it as a shield, those who do, arent being very good *insert religion here*

as my nan would say "he is a terrible christian"

my favourite part side note, 9 people report similair things and ALL of them are lying? who is this guy kidding? 1 or 2 maybe but 9? 2 of whom he adopted? what the heck!

12. dude_007

Gold Member

great quote, I've never heard that one.

I also like the bumper sticker: When Jesus said to love thy enemy, I don't think He meant drop bombs on them.

#12 dude_007, Sep 23, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2011
  13. B_Nick8

B_Nick8 New Member

New York City, by way of Marblehead, Boston and Ge
    I wouldn't say that so much as self-righteousness and arrogance which is far more typical and upsetting, to me.

I hear you, Mensch, and I respect your mediating hand. I agree that this smaller sect of fundamentalist Christians doesn't represent all. Anymore than pedophiliac priests represent Catholics. However, in this particular case, they aren't the Westboro Baptists. They are pretty mainstream, suburban Indiana folk. And this pastor, calmly and securely, can look into the camera and justify his and his church's physically abusive behaviour, what it's done to tens of children under his "tutelage", and justify it by the "good word". This is personal and group fanaticism at its deepest. This is where the personal need to believe becomes more important than the greater need to understand overrides. I don't understand such selfishness. All the education I've ever known has been about becoming an evolved person. About taking personal responsibility, not about abdicating it to someone or something else. Or, wait. Maybe that is it.

Isn't that the point?!

Loved your post, btw.

14. travis1985

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    You should read my post again. In no way did I "excuse" what is going on at this church. I simply said that the faults of this particular church should not be used as an excuse to discount Christianity in general. Other posts in this thread have established that this church's actions are not in harmony with Christianity, so I'm not the only one saying this. Whether or not "most Baptists" would approve of this is irrelevant, because even if every Baptist in the world worked at this school beating the children, that still wouldn't mean Christianity itself was at fault.

15. dandelion

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    500/40,000 =1 in 80. So that would be get 80 men in a room and you would expect one of them to be a sexual abuser of minors? Or about 2 million abusers total in the US?

Also missing a few crusades

Wasnt he austrian?

Human beings are herd animals.

Exactly the same way they make them true.

#15 dandelion, Sep 24, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2011
  16. travis1985

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    No. You would expect one in eighty to be ACCUSED of abuse. Innocent until proven guilty, you know.

17. dandelion

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Have you seen some of the stories from the republic of Ireland? The catholic church there is in danger of turning it into a secular state.

18. bigbull29

Gold Member

Albums:
    All the bad things done in the name of Christianity do not make all the good things done in its name bad. A good deed is a good deed - plain and simple.

Crusades and religious wars? How do they automatically disprove the teachings and beliefs of the religion? Man is evil by nature, and thus will always try to manipulate it to fit his ideas and world views.

I would agree that seeing religion without the "dust" of mankind often takes maturity. At the same time, it is important to say that most religions are actually "cults", and so only a very few do I recognize as "sound".

Hitler was Austrian, but he represented the German people.

#18 bigbull29, Sep 24, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2011
  19. Drifterwood

Gold Member

All these good christians, yet they never out the bad ones.

20. Bbucko

Gold Member

Albums:
    Another one of my faves is:

Jesus Loves You
    But Everyone Else Thinks You're An Asshole

Draft saved Draft deleted