Another Federal Election on the way for Canada...

vindicator

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
Well, first off, the fact that Harper campaigned for and introduced fixed election date legislation so that Prime Minister's couldn't just call an election when it suited them, but then he went ahead and did just that is complete bullshit.

He clearly introduced a bill that had no teeth and he knew it. Thats a broken election promise.

Second, why did Harper wait until now to pull the plug? Parliament has not been in session for 3 months, but he waits till now to call and election? Why now? It seems to me that the parliamentary committee looking into his "In and Out" scandal where they were moving money around from the party to candidates and then sending in doctored invoices to Elections Canada for re-embursment was getting a little too close to finding out what was going on. I mean, they know the invoices were doctored since the company that the Conservatives said they came from said they weren't there's. And then they called the people involved to testify and the Conservative party told them not to show up? Pulling the pull on parliament makes the committee go away... for now.

Third, he spent how much time demonizing Dion saying he's "not a leader". Based on WHAT exactly? Because Harper says he isn't? Dion is apparently so much not a leader that he was able to keep parliament going much longer then most other minority governments. Harper is trying to make this about HIM. Government is not about one person, it is supposed to be about US... the people. But again this fits his egomaniacal, controlling personality. He is a micromanager and controls everything. His PMs can't even speak to reporters without him clearing it first.

Forth, this is costing us $300 million dollars for the election which wasn't supposed to be held for another year.

Fifth, Harper and his neo-cons evangelicals scare the fucking shit out of me. I PRAY they don't get a majority. I have no doubt based on his ideology and his track record that he is as bad or worse then George Bush.

Last edited:

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Amazing how a country can have an election in about a month, while in others the process takes a year, costs 100's of millions of dollars and in the end winds up with a 1 term jr. senator and a 72 year old robot as the choices.

somebody427

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
Asexual
I can't believe the smear ads harper's putting up about dion... How many people actually fall for that stuff?? I can't imagine that the conservatives would be able to pull off a majority with the amount of controversy they've brought about in the last few years, and I doubt the liberals will see much good either. I've been saying this for the last few elections now, I believe the NDP are on the verge of having some real control in the house of commons, and I'll bet they'll get a fairly decent amount of seats this time. Especially here in atlantic canada, where a lot of their candidates lost to conservatives by only a small amount, and many of us are still mad at them for the offshore oil bit. And I hate to say it, because I'll be voting for them, but Jack Layton going around boasting that he'll be Canada's next Prime Minister is almost laughable. While it COULD be possible, the odds are so much against him that he's pretty brazen to go around making statements like that.

In the end, I'd bet on another Conservative minority, with both the liberals and the conservatives losing more seats to the NDP. Does this make any difference to any of us no matter how it turns out? No. It'll be the same old bull shit it always is and it'll end up folding in a year or two.

kalipygian

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Amazing how a country can have an election in about a month, while in others the process takes a year, costs 100's of millions of dollars and in the end winds up with a 1 term jr. senator and a 72 year old robot as the choices.

Suppose they are doing it to politely point out that there might be a better way of doing things? I think the Britts sometimes do it in a couple of weeks.

D_Keziah Binbanger

Experimental Member
Media
Well, I hate to say it but even if I don't believe Dion can be a good Prime Minister, I'll have to vote for him. I really don't want another round with Harper...just look in the US what kind of trouble it's been to have Bush a second time, Harper is the same.

The Bloc Québecois is so useless I have nothing to say about them except that I don't understand why Quebecers don't seem to realise they don't have any power in Chamber and oppose everything without thinking. I would even dare to say that they're a waste... (people will throw rocks at me tomorrow...)

I really like the NPD but they are not represented in my county so can't even vote for them.

As for the Liberals...if it was Michael Ignatieff I would choose them with all my heart...but I'll choose them anyway because they're the only ones who stand a chance against the Conservatives.

rawbone8

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
We don't need an election now. Period. This is our 3rd parliamentary election in only 4 years! And we've had two minority governments.

Harper is an opportunist who sees next year as a more unfavorable climate in which to hold an election, because it is expected that the economy will be worse, close to a recession, so he wants to go now.

He has no particular vision or ideas to run on, so to date, he is making the über-uncharismatic personality of the opposition leader Stephan Dion his platform. The Bloc Québecois (another opposition party) is weak, so Harper hopes to make gains in parliamentary seats in Quebec that will help win a majority for his party.

Sigh. Another minority gov't with Harper is likely.

As for voter fraud: There's an old saying they used to have down at the Legion Hall before an election as the pols would buy a few rounds.

Vote early! And vote often!

Last edited:

Tsun

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
Like everyone else, I think this is gonna be another minority government since none of the parties seems to have strong projects and ideas to convince a large majority. Like frank389 and rawbone8 said, Bloc Québecois is somehow useless since their only goal is to annoy federal government and be nothing more then opposition. All they'll do is divide more Quebec's votes.

One thing is important tho: VOTE! People get bored with those matters, thinking it'll never change... that's exactly why it's never changing: people don't vote enough!

Does Canada have problems with fraud in vote counting like the US?

Just interested.

As for that, last Quebec's provincial election seemed tricked to me because the liberal party won but not it's leader... then SHAZAM! they found vote boxes from the preleminary votes and he won, what a surprise.

swordfishME

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
Do you guys really think another minority government is in the offing? I would think Harper would be able to sercure atleast a bare-min majority seeing how the liberals have shot themselves in the foot with Dion.

B_Jennuine73

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Conservatives- conserve what? Certainly not social programs. Hey, let's give everyone with kids $100 instead of "conserving" early childhood education programs. Most of these programs involve free parenting courses, which in my opinion, is sorely needed. I was involved in a group who lobbied the Liberal gov to create and fund much needed programs like this. We succeeded. When the conservatives got it,within the following three months, the conservative gov scrapped it.