Another feel bad story from the Bushies

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by jay_too, Jan 4, 2006.

1. jay_too

jay_too New Member

This is from today's LA Times.

While I admit a tendency to look with horror at the technical decisions with political overtones that have been made by the Bush administration, these bumbling stupidities deserve a prize....maybe not first prize for stupidity in 2004...but some recognition. First prize for 2004, of course, was taken by the red states in the election of Dubya.

jay

THE WORLD
    CIA Gave Iran Bomb Plans, Book Says

<LI style="LIST-STYLE-POSITION: inside; LIST-STYLE-TYPE: square">The nuclear designs were intentionally flawed, but Tehran was tipped off and could have made use of them, the writer contends.

By Josh Meyer, Times Staff Writer

WASHINGTON — In a clumsy effort to sabotage Iran's nuclear program, the CIA in 2004 intentionally handed Tehran some top-secret bomb designs laced with a hidden flaw that U.S. officials hoped would doom any weapon made from them, according to a new book about the U.S. intelligence agency.

But the Iranians were tipped to the scheme by the Russian defector hired by the CIA to deliver the plans and may have gleaned scientific information useful for designing a bomb, writes New York Times reporter James Risen in "State of War: The Secret History of the CIA and the Bush Administration."

ADVERTISEMENT on error resume next ShockMode = ( IsObject(CreateObject("ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.4")))if ( ShockMode The clandestine CIA effort was just one of many alleged intelligence failures during the Bush administration, according to the book.

Risen also cites intelligence gaffes that fueled the Bush administration's case for war against Saddam Hussein, spawned a culture of torture throughout the U.S. military and encouraged the rise of heroin cultivation and trafficking in postwar Afghanistan.

Even before the book's release Tuesday, its main revelation — that President Bush authorized a secret effort by another intelligence outfit, the National Security Agency, to eavesdrop on unsuspecting Americans without court-approved warrants — had created a storm of controversy when it was reported last month in the New York Times in an article coauthored by Risen.

In the book, Risen says he based his accounts on interviews with dozens of intelligence officials who, while unnamed, had proved reliable in the past.

Bush has confirmed the existence of the program, but condemned the newspaper for the December report and for its use of confidential sources.

The CIA added its own criticism Tuesday, saying the book contains "serious inaccuracies."

The NSA domestic spying controversy is at the heart of an intensifying debate over whether the president has overstepped his authority in fighting the U.S.-declared war on terrorism by not adequately consulting or allowing oversight from Congress and the courts.

The Justice Department disclosed Friday that it was conducting a criminal investigation to find out who leaked classified details of the domestic spying program.

The book's release date was moved up in the wake of the NSA controversy, and it provides additional details of that domestic spying effort, in which Bush did not seek permission for domestic wiretaps from the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court.

The New York Times delayed for a year publication of its article on the NSA's domestic spying, in part because of personal requests from the president. Critics have questioned whether the paper could have published the information before last year's presidential election if it had decided against a delay. Newspaper officials have refused to comment on reasons for the delay or on the exact timing.

Top New York Times officials also refused to publish a news article about the reported CIA plot to give intentionally flawed nuclear plans to Iran, according to a person briefed on the newspaper's conversations by one of the participants. That person said the New York Times withheld publication at the request of the White House and former CIA Director George J. Tenet.

U.S. officials have long maintained that Iran's rulers want to develop nuclear weapons, but Tehran has insisted that it seeks to develop only a civilian nuclear energy program. Whatever the case, the CIA was desperate to counter what it believed was a clandestine nuclear program, and turned to a Russian defector who had once been a nuclear scientist in the former Soviet republics, according to the book.

The book says the CIA worked with the U.S.-based defector to concoct a story about how he was destitute, but in possession of valuable nuclear weapons blueprints that had been secreted out of Russia.

CIA officials had concerns about the man's temperament, Risen says, but sent the defector and the blueprints to Vienna anyway, with orders to hand-deliver them to someone at Tehran's diplomatic mission to the International Atomic Energy Agency, or IAEA, the U.N. nuclear watchdog.

His CIA handlers never imagined that the Russian defector would tip off the Iranians to the fatal flaw that they had hidden deep within the blueprints. But that, the book adds, is exactly what the Russian did, in part because the CIA failed to send anybody to accompany him out of fear that it might make the Iranians suspicious.

The book does not say whether Iran used the plans, but reports that a senior Iranian official visiting Vienna appears to have taken them immediately to Tehran after the defector dropped them off.

"He [the Russian] was the front man for what may have been one of the most reckless operations in the modern history of the CIA, one that may have helped put nuclear weapons in the hands of a charter member of what President George W. Bush has called the axis of evil," the book contends.

Two nuclear weapons experts who say that they have no knowledge about whether the covert effort described in the book occurred added that a deliberate flaw in the plans could have been easily found by the Iranians.

"Iran has excellent scientists and any information related to weapons designs could move its program ahead," said a European nuclear weapons expert, who refused to allow his name to be used because his government prohibits comments on nuclear weapons or designs.

David Albright, a former weapons inspector for the IAEA, agreed with the other expert that the plans could have shaved many years off Iran's nuclear effort.

"I wouldn't call it a colossal failure" by the CIA, said Albright, now president of the Institute for Science and International Security in Washington. "But I don't quite understand the purpose of it, why you would want to hand something like this to the Iranians. It's unlikely to work."

According to the book, the CIA effort to sabotage Iran's nuclear effort came on the heels of another massive intelligence failure, in which a CIA officer mistakenly sent an Iranian agent a trove of information that could help identify nearly every one of the spy agency's undercover operatives in Iran.

The Iranian was a double agent who turned over the data to Iranian authorities. They used it to dismantle the CIA's spy network inside the country and arrest or possibly kill an unknown number of U.S. agents, the book says.

2. Dr Rock

Gold Member

who lives in the east &#039;neath the willow tree? Sex
    hooray, welcome to 1959

you'd think the Cunts & Imbeciles Agency would've learned from past mistakes by now :rolleyes:

3. madame_zora

Gold Member

I've posted about this before, but I had a friend back in Dayton who said he would have voted for bush if he had voted at all just because he'd liked the way bush was polarising the country. It was now even easier to pick out the idiots, they were applying their own badges.

Take a bow, assholes.

4. Dr Rock

Gold Member

who lives in the east &#039;neath the willow tree? Sex
    hey, when did you turn 43? congratulations/commiserations (delete as applicable)

5. Shelby

Gold Member

And now the bumbling bastard has killed all those miners.

6. Stursberg

Stursberg New Member

I'm hardly a fan of our current President, but my sense is that he doesn't have a clue about what's going on, and just stands up there and smiles like a jackass. I guess we should blame him because things are happening on his watch, but as a friend of mine once said, the lead goose may be breaking wind, but it's the bird brains behind it that provide the group's uplift.

7. madame_zora

Gold Member

December 22nd, it's easy to slide it through without much notice since SOMEBODY ELSE has a birthday celebration near then, even though mine's the real date. Only seven more years till the End of the World.

Hey, maybe we'll "elect" another two term repubican and it will come true?

8. SomeGuyOverThere

Gold Member

Don't get me wrong, I am one of the most rediculously anti-Bush people ever.

But I fail to see how Bush is responsible for a mining accident. :confused:

9. Matthew

Gold Member

He was being sarcastic. A common slogan among conservatives these days is how everything gets blamed on Bush; funny, considering how some of the same used to froth at the mouth, climbing on top of one another to find (or imagine) any little flaw or mistake of Clinton's.

10. rob_just_rob

Gold Member

Someone else who subscribes to the Aztec Doomsday prophecies! :cool3:

11. SpeedoGuy

Gold Member

Albums:
    You all should know by know that criticizing George Bush weakens America. Questioning the administration's agenda is the same as helping Al Qaeda.

So be good little consumers and stop it.

SG

12. KinkGuy

Gold Member

Deregulation of the mining industry?

Firing the head of the Govt's Interior Dept Head of Industrial-Mine Safety? The world's foremost expert on mine safety and engineering with a 26 year history as head of the department?

Recinding rules about safety/rescue personnel on site?

Reducing air quality standards and ventillation requirements underground?

Limiting the financial responsibilities and liabilities of mine owners in lawsuits?

Rewriting safety regulations and allowing mines that would have been shut down 5 years ago to continue to operate?

Firing 70% of the inspectors and safety engineers?

Puting a mine owner and former mining lobbiest in charge of the Mining safety and regulation in the dept of the Interior?

Need more?

13. rawbone8

Gold Member

Albums:
    uhm... she might have been referring to turning fifty :yikes: but there's hope for all

[​IMG] [​IMG]

14. madame_zora

Gold Member

Both are correct. For anyone interested, the Aztec calandar ends on my 50th birthday. 12/22/2012

15. rawbone8

Gold Member

Albums:
    Cunning bastards!!! How the fuck did those Aztecs know your birthday???

BTW — belated best wishes :wink:

16. B_Spladle

B_Spladle New Member

I trust that you go out of your way to perform oral sex on this man at every available opportunity. He clearly deserves it.

17. Annie

Annie New Member

Maybe there will just be the beginning of a new age? Or maybe they sacrificed the guy who was working on the calender. :wink:
    This reminds me of "History of the World" when they introduce the 15...no 10 Commandments, as one of the tablets fell to the ground. :biggrin1:

18. DC_DEEP

Gold Member

Every morning when I read the newspaper, I can't wait to see the next installment in the continuing saga of the rise of the new third reich. Anyone want to take odds on how the Abramoff story will continue to unfold? My money is on either "prosecution strikes new deal with Abramoff; House and Senate contacts will not be named..." or "Grand Jury seals remaining Abramoff testimony, citing 'national security.'"

Meanwhile, Penis Cheney and George Snatch (Bush) continue to villify those filthy enemy combatants who have the nerve to break the story that their policies and practices embrace wholesale violation of federal law, committing felonies and treason (with the backing of the House, Senate, Supreme Court, and Inspectors General offices in the Pentagon, Justice Department, CIA, and FBI.)

19. Stursberg

Stursberg New Member

Ergo..... Zora was/is the high priestess??

20. madame_zora

Gold Member

There were some sneaky little fuckers, and I thought I could keep a secret.

Draft saved Draft deleted