Another "law enforcement" issue

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Shelby said:
...It's fucked up that cops routinely get excused for doing what's wrong but md's often get burned for trying to do what's right.
Excused, or even lauded, for the cops. MDs, sued or even lose the license, even when things go as "well as can be expected" in an emergency. Are you aware that many states, in addition to "good samaritan" type laws, legally require anyone with any type of medical-profession training to stop and assist in an emergency?

And that brings me back to my original question, which professions should we consider to be "always on call, always on duty" and which professions should we demand that "off-duty means off-duty"? And in cases of off-duty misconduct, should the person's profession automatically become a mitigating factor?

SpeedoGuy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
DC_DEEP said:
And that brings me back to my original question, which professions should we consider to be "always on call, always on duty" and which professions should we demand that "off-duty means off-duty"? And in cases of off-duty misconduct, should the person's profession automatically become a mitigating factor?

When off duty, it should be the individual's choice to get involved unless otherwise legally required (as is the case, I think, with many law enforcement types). No one else should have to get involved.

I also think good samaritans should be protected from frivolous lawsuits if they make a bona fide effort to assist in an otherwise hopeless emergency situation.

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
SpeedoGuy said:
When off duty, it should be the individual's choice to get involved unless otherwise legally required (as is the case, I think, with many law enforcement types). No one else should have to get involved.

I also think good samaritans should be protected from frivolous lawsuits if they make a bona fide effort to assist in an otherwise hopeless emergency situation.
Well, see, SG, that was exactly what (for three pages now) I've been trying to get someone to articulate.

He may be an off-duty cop, but as far as I'm concerned, if he's off-duty, he's a private citizen. Nothing more nor anything less than you or me. You are right, probably most people WON'T get involved in an emergency, simply for fear of being sued and losing everything. I think it is a tragedy that the public, especially in my area, have been brainwashed to think that officers are above the law and infallible. The off-duty examples I gave I think illustrate this to a terrifying degree.

B_NineInchCock_160IQ

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
DC_DEEP said:
I'm just up the road from you, bud, so you KNOW the news stories I was talking about when I started this thread.

FWIW, I was a US Marine in our all-volunteer force. I stayed in for my six years, turned down the assistant chief-of-staff when he tried to convince me to stay in. I decided it was not worth it to give up 10 IQ points for every stripe I put on my sleeve.

yep, I know what you're talking about. and agree with all the points you were making. There are a lot of ex-military around this area, and I know a lot of former Marines who are pretty good guys, but then there are also the ones like my friend Eric who are total fucktards. I had a temp job up in Crystal City once a couple years back typing up officer evaluations of new recruits in the Corps... general consensus seemed to be that standards had become extremely low. But that's not what you'll ever hear on C-Span.