Another Mass Shooting In Colorado

GS_PL

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
This is the 13th mass shooting since 1993.

we think there are 10 victims. It’s still unclear.
I was an elementary age child very close to the incident that influenced this song at the time. I've knowingly cheated death once, taking an earlier plane out of Chicago because of a sudden family incident. The plane I was initially to be on had the engine fall out just after takeoff and killed everyone aboard.

Scarletbegonia

Worshipped Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
Asexual
I’m trying to imagine what it must be like for people who were to go into work at King Soopers today.
Investigators are likely still in the store piecing together the physical reality of where things started and ended. Clean up, securing the store, then crime scene cleaners....

King Soopers employs a lot of young people, and post retirees. Lots of folks get a job there because they can, and they ramped up during quarantine, especially for delivery and curbside. That takes more bodies. Some jobs are union, SEIU. Many are not.

People were shot getting vaccines.

Not much about identities of the victims is coming out, yet.

Reactions: Enid and g0nz0

Scarletbegonia

Worshipped Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
Asexual
D

deleted15807

Take that to politics, please.

My community lost 10 people yesterday.
My state does this again and again.
My heart is broken.

Actually that’s where this thread belongs. If there was a political will to stop mass shootings this thread would not even exist.

Reactions: dreamer20

Tight_N_Juicy

Mythical Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
Pansexual
I knew that when lockdowns started to lift we would see events like this again, on a regular basis.

I can't help but mourn those who we've already lost, but I also mourn those we're *going* to continue to lose this way. All over the country. Mass shootings just don't happen as frequently in other countries. And there are particular areas of the US which seem to have more of these events than others. It hurts my heart (literally, it hurts my chest to think about) to know this is absolutely going to happen again. And again. And again.

I hate to think now that things are opening up there will be a wave of violent outbursts. We're already seeing it.

Scarletbegonia

Worshipped Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
Asexual
From the Colorado Sun, a newspaper born out of the ashes of Denver journalism.

“Back to normal.”

That phrase, which has been dangling in front of us for months as the light at the end of the tunnel, became a dark and haunting reality yesterday in Boulder.

Colorado experienced yet another heart-wrenching, emotionally draining day after a shooter killed 10 people, including one of the first police officers to respond to calls of distress at the King Soopers in Boulder’s Table Mesa neighborhood.

The incident, just days after eight people were killed in a rampage in Atlanta, was both shocking and distressingly familiar for Coloradans. The feeling that the pandemic brought a reprieve from gun violence in America was a false one — America set a record in 2020 with 41,000 gun-related deaths — and in the span of a few minutes yesterday, even that false hope was shattered inside a grocery store, one of the few communal spaces most of us shared during this pandemic.

Colorado has suffered through some of the most high-profile mass shootings in the country — it’s not just a hunch, there is some data backing it up() — and there’s a temptation to react to this latest tragedy with numb resignation.

But as we learn more about the victims this morning and the crime itself throughout what will likely be a long investigation, we need to resist the urge to just slip into sadness. You can’t control everything in the world, but wherever you can determine your own path, choose the one that leads to empathy, solidarity and compassion. It might not be a magic switch, but little by little we can build something better.

Our reporters were on the scene all day yesterday and are reporting from Boulder today, so keep an eye on coloradosun.com, Twitter, Facebookand Instagram for the latest updates.

In today’s newsletter, we have the latest on what we know — plus news from the rest of Colorado.

Let’s get to it.

— Eric
(Eric Lubbers)

Reactions: Enid and g0nz0

Scarletbegonia

Worshipped Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
Asexual
If you want it to stop it is. Otherwise let’s start a “thoughts and prayers” forum.
I’m asking again... MY community lost 10 people.. take the political talk to politics, please.
I’m NOT starting a “thoughts and prayers” thread.
I’m upset, angry, and numb.

And somehow, I haven’t yet told anyone to fuck off, real time or online, but I’ve been close.

MisterB

Worshipped Member
Staff
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Actually that’s where this thread belongs. If there was a political will to stop mass shootings this thread would not even exist.
If you want it to stop it is. Otherwise let’s start a “thoughts and prayers” forum.
Hi Sargon:

If you think there should be a thread about yesterday's mass shooting in Boulder, CO in the Politics Forum, you are more than welcome to start one there and link your links for others who may be interested.

We can have two threads on the same topic in different Fora. See Covid threads in Politics and Et Cetera.

Thanks for your cooperation!

MisterB

Tight_N_Juicy

Mythical Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
Pansexual
I’m upset, angry, and numb.

You're not alone. I have family near where you are. And even if I didn't, this is my community. My country. This happens nation wide. There's literally nowhere in this entire "greatest country on earth" where we aren't potentially in danger because some hateful/deranged person has access to the kind of firearm which makes it possible to kill so many people in such a small amount of time.

It crosses my mind every time I'm in a crowd. When I was a barista on a college campus, literally every morning before work I had a talk with myself about "today could be the day".

I'm so sorry you've had this happen so close to you so many times Scarlet. I'm so heartbroken for your close community, I just want you to know that I love you.

T

T_Lurch

I hope you both and your families are keeping safe.:heart:

My apologies for not saying something sooner, but I've been avoiding any news or current events for awhile--stuff like this is why. But you are in my thoughts.

D

deleted15807

Hi Sargon:

If you think there should be a thread about yesterday's mass shooting in Boulder, CO in the Politics Forum, you are more than welcome to start one there and link your links for others who may be interested.

We can have two threads on the same topic in different Fora. See Covid threads in Politics and Et Cetera.

Thanks for your cooperation!

MisterB

Nah. After Sandy Hook I think it’s just trite.