Another question for guys who identify as straight

NoH8

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
It's tough to put into words.

But you did it beautifully. Thanks for a great response JDD. I'm sorry that this thread got so divisive. I think it was caused by the differing interpretations for the words attractive and relationship.

Many people use these words with sexual or physical implications. HungJon seems to mean something else.

B_Hung Jon

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
But you did it beautifully. Thanks for a great response JDD. I'm sorry that this thread got so divisive. I think it was caused by the differing interpretations for the words attractive and relationship.

Many people use these words with sexual or physical implications. HungJon seems to mean something else.

I mean "attraction". If someone is attracted to another person it can be at a lot of levels. I don't think many straight guys understand that. They think of attraction as only sexual/physical. I think that some men think that attraction to a woman is the only permissible way, but the reality is that we're attracted to people all the time. How else would we be able to know the difference between friend and foe? One of the things I learned about this so-called "discussion" is that some men seem to leap to defensive posturing almost immediately. They don't take the time to look inside themselves and analyze their own motivations, fears and presuppositions. It seems that self-analysis is considered weak or of no value.

I am pretty shocked when I hear that there are many guys who think other males are primarily a source of competition or who are like inanimate objects who may be ignored as less than human. They (we) are more of a distraction than a value. They only get in the way of us going after the ultimate sexual prize, the hot chick. I've had very close relationships with guys in high school, college, and now in my twenties. These guys love and care about me. We are close and value our connections with each other. We are not in competition with each other for "chicks". We support and cherish our friendship. We do not primarily identified as gay and we don't want to have sex with each other. But we do love each other.

I've also come to the realization from this thread that some guys on this site are primarily influenced by their cultural and social milieu. They live in places where men treat each other as enemies or at best as objects to control and eliminate. I'm not sure if this is caused by economic or ethnic rivalries. This attitude also seems to be prevalent among working class and uneducated men.

I appreciate people's contributions here but feel the truth about genuine attraction was usurped by men who are defensive about their own emotional states. Anger and fear become the main tools for attack. And all the stereo-typical attitudes about straight men being closed-minded, overly macho, cruelly assertive, and chauvinist became evident in some irrational attempt to "prove" something. Why do straight guys have to prove anything? No one is asking for that. But inevetably it arises and the pissing contest begins.

I've been on the site for some years now and every so often, straight guys will come out of nowhere and begin to pick fights with others who they perceive as weak or gay or different. They stay for a while until they've made themselves persona non grata and then they get banned or move on. It's a strange phenomenon to me. It's almost like a game. "I arrive in your space. Challenge you to a fight. And try to verbally destroy you." That wasn't the purpose of this thread, but that is exactly what it turned into. Fascinating but also typical. Men have a long way to go to learn how to be civilized and compassionate. I don't expect that to happen any time soon, at least from this discussion.

Last edited:

D_Gallalye Goodlolly

Experimental Member
Media
Man, there sure are a lot of unconscious, chauvinistic and ignorant straight guys on this site lately. What rock did you guys come out from under? I feel sorry for any women who are involved with or married to you trolls. :eek:
trolls???They are straight men so it is probably disgusting to them that you would try to convert them to your POV by insisting that they cannot be 100% straight. infact I think they are being quite nice.I am a woman and I would quite happily be involved with either of them.

D_Kerry_N_Ashon

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I'm a homo, and I find some women very attractive. I don't want to fuck them, but they sure are nice to look at.

What he said.... except I'm the complete polar opposite. I'm straight... but I can appreciate the good looks of another dude.

JDD86 mentioned Ryan Reynolds earlier, I agree that's one good looking guy. Everyday I'm in the gym, I'm striving to make my body look like his; I however, do not find him sexually attractive. I cannot imagine myself in any kind of intimate situation with him(or any other guy). If given a chance, would I look at his junk? Of course... if for no other reason than comparison. I don't consider that an intimate situation in the least. I guess my feelings on this can be best summarized that if I am emotionally attracted to a guy, it's a 'brotherly'-type attraction. I guess you could equate it to falling into the friend-zone with a girl.

HungJon, I just looked at your gallery, Although your face is not visible, I'd imagine you're a very attractive guy... and your package is most impressive. Congrats. However I can't think of any circumstance where I would feel moved to either passionately kiss you or have any other intimate, sexually-themed contact with you. Sorry bud, I mean no disrespect. :cool:

Last edited:

D_Martin van Burden

Account Disabled
Media
For what it's worth, "straightness" can get confusing. The word itself doesn't begin to describe all the nuance people use when explaining their own sexuality in greater detail. Even in this thread alone, it runs the gamut from actual disgust at anything having to do with the body of the same gender to mutual admiration to more intimate behaviors. And that doesn't even begin to cover what people say to one another in a chat room. Sometimes it's really hard to get a gauge on how someone else's sexuality works, given limitations in the vocabulary we use to describe it.

That said, the challenge for the OP is two-fold: (1) not to misinterpret someone else's sexuality no matter what signals say and (2) not to expect his personal level of growth and maturity on the matter to allow him to denigrate other people's experiences. The second one is particularly hard because of the tendency to project your own experiences onto others whose stories seem awfully similar. That's not fair to the other person; let them dictate what their experiences mean.

That said, I'm impressed if a guy manages to uphold his straightness after sucking a lot of dick and taking it in the back door a few times. :)

D_Kerry_N_Ashon

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I suppose I'm a littlegay for being on a site focused on big dicks. I enjoy looking at big and thick dicks in all their variety. I enjoy commenting on guys dicks that I find aesthetically pleasing, and also enjoy getting comments in return. It's a little ego boost every time I logon and someone comments on my dick saying that its big and whatnot. So I return the favor by commenting on theirs. I like having a big dick and talking to other men about it. I just put down 100% so I don't get other guys asking me to jack off on cam for them (LOL)

All in all I identify as straight. The thought of kissing a man or going down on him is as appealing to me as eating dirt.

This forum needs a "like" button.

B_Hung Jon

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
trolls???They are straight men so it is probably disgusting to them that you would try to convert them to your POV by insisting that they cannot be 100% straight. infact I think they are being quite nice.I am a woman and I would quite happily be involved with either of them.

I didn't say anything like that. Read the posts. And I can say I'm not the least bit interested in either of these guys as friends. I never asked for them to post on this thread. Nor do I respect them at all. They need to get an education and wake up. And I can tell you, they disgust me a whole lot more because they're so immature and defensive. They're all yours, cybercurious. Good luck with these neanderthals.

HappyBoi

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Even I think you've gone a bit too far now Hung Jon.

You sweep all straight men under the same comb just as "gays" so often are. I don't know.. I think you've taken it too far with this. People are free to live as they wish, everyone might not want to have that close relationships with other people, or their "guy friends".

You can't expect such huge change in a Internet forum, I think it'll be hard for you to pursue that. By doing all that name-calling and whatnot, you've dragged yourself down a pretty awful hole, it's not really pretty. :(

*Hugs*.

NEWREBA

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
For what it's worth, "straightness" can get confusing. The word itself doesn't begin to describe all the nuance people use when explaining their own sexuality in greater detail. Even in this thread alone, it runs the gamut from actual disgust at anything having to do with the body of the same gender to mutual admiration to more intimate behaviors. And that doesn't even begin to cover what people say to one another in a chat room. Sometimes it's really hard to get a gauge on how someone else's sexuality works, given limitations in the vocabulary we use to describe it.

That said, the challenge for the OP is two-fold: (1) not to misinterpret someone else's sexuality no matter what signals say and (2) not to expect his personal level of growth and maturity on the matter to allow him to denigrate other people's experiences. The second one is particularly hard because of the tendency to project your own experiences onto others whose stories seem awfully similar. That's not fair to the other person; let them dictate what their experiences mean.

That said, I'm impressed if a guy manages to uphold his straightness after sucking a lot of dick and taking it in the back door a few times. :)

I think what you're saying is somewhat of a cop out. What I have noticed on this thread that there are racial undertones to the back and forth criticisms. Maybe it's just me but I noticed that it's mainly the black straight guys who are offended and disgusted that their self identities should be challenged or questioned? I'm thinking that this may be a part of their own personal issues? What do you think since you are also black? I think that some black guys are more freaked out by same gender friendships and relationships. Is this really about male power in various communities that are perceived as matriarchal? Do black guys have to claw their way up the community ladder to claim their heterosexual power? Just saying.

Gecko4lif

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Thank you milday.

I think what you're saying is somewhat of a cop out. What I have noticed on this thread that there are racial undertones to the back and forth criticisms. Maybe it's just me but I noticed that it's mainly the black straight guys who are offended and disgusted that their self identities should be challenged or questioned? I'm thinking that this may be a part of their own personal issues? What do you think since you are also black? I think that some black guys are more freaked out by same gender friendships and relationships. Is this really about male power in various communities that are perceived as matriarchal? Do black guys have to claw their way up the community ladder to claim their heterosexual power? Just saying.
Hold up what? Are you being serious right now?

Last edited:

Remington

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

Why are you making this a racial issue?

Some guys don't mind men sexually attractive, regardless of race. What else is there?

Gecko4lif

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Why are you making this a racial issue?

I mean, it's just that some guys don't mind men sexually attractive, regardless of race. What else is there?
Your black bro your obviously against the "Homosexual white devil".

Good thing the defenders of righteousness wont let your black rage derail this thread right :crucified:

D_Martin van Burden

Account Disabled
Media

It's very difficult to say with certainty if race is a factor here, especially since LPSG is hardly generalizable to the real world. And I think I was getting more at what people feel free to talk about and share in a fantasy sort of way, unlike the "down low" experience of actually meeting men, engaging in sexual behaviors, and then swearing to a tight code of secrecy -- an image that has been popularized over the past 10 years of soon in a cultural sense. (Again, that's not even correct since there's no proof that black men are doing that more than any other race.)

Just because some of our straight members of color have participated in this thread and are a bit more vocal in their opposition, doesn't mean that the rest of dudes of color feel the same way.

As far as I'm concerned, I'm half-and-half, and I'm really indifferent. Like other members have said, I have no problem noticing a dude's attractive qualities -- usually his build, but can include his attitude and the off-chance that he's packing. I'm very laid back about it. I don't make a fuss. I will give a compliment if it's justified. I am just as comfortable talking about being hung and I know it would be cool if I could share that experience with someone. Lest you worry, the most that would happen is comparing and jacking off -- something I'm not ashamed to admit to doing a few times in my life. Anything more than that, though not utterly impossible, is highly improbable.

"Never say never," and all that.

D_Humper E Bogart

Experimental Member
Media
Your black bro your obviously against the "Homosexual white devil".

Good thing the defenders of righteousness wont let your black rage derail this thread right :crucified:
Gonna lych us and then fuck us up the ass!? "Fight da powa"

Seems like a severe case of moving goalposts in this thread. Ultimately, one has to consider that heteros ARE competing for females, it's part of human and animal psychology and biology. There's no top or bottom or anything similar, there are attractive females and we compete for their attention and so in that aspect we see other men as rivals. In sports, that's a given and socially, it's down to the individual.

Of course I'm probably sociopathic, I could easily say "BURN THEM ALL!" and probably mean it. Or not.

NoH8

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I'm one of your admirers here Jon. But this thread has gone off the rails and I'm surprised that you fell into that trap. Some of us may have misunderstood what you are asking. The 3 options are:

1) Do you find other guys attractive? = Do you get hot for guys?

2) Do you find other guys attractive? = Do you know/care if a guy is attractive.

3) Do you find other guys attractive? = Do you have close emotional relationships with guys?

I mean "attraction". If someone is attracted to another person it can be at a lot of levels. I don't think many straight guys understand that. They think of attraction as only sexual/physical. I think that some men think that attraction to a woman is the only permissible way, but the reality is that we're attracted to people all the time. How else would we be able to know the difference between friend and foe?

Some of the straight guys here would answer yes to all three questions. Others would answer yes to only 2 out of 3. Others have answered yes to only 1 out of 3. Some might answer no to all 3. There are 6 possible combinations! What fascinates me is that the answers can be different and still fall into the broad category of "straight".

What I think is even more interesting is the quality of the "attachments" or affection between men. We have seen in this single thread a range from revulsion to obliviousness to brotherly love. Wow! So thanks Jon and you other guys for exposing this great variation in the experience of the "typical straight guy".

Here's a link to a graph of the sexual orientation of all self declared LSPG members.
http://www.lpsg.org/attachments/127...ng-update-lpsg_sexual_preference_20110120-jpg

I usually enjoy your incisive analysis Jon. Your grasp of the power relations between the sexes is refreshing. Your background is unique, and from your educated perch you survey the rest of us with a cool and usually dispassionate gaze. I don't think bisexuality is the topic of this thread, but admit it, it gives you a great perspective on both sexes. Many other people don't have the benefit of this broad perspective. When you ask for their point of view and they respond honestly, it is a real bonus to all members of LPSG to learn the intimate thoughts and desires of men and women who are by definition not the same as you or me. That is why I feel sorry that you have passed judgement on these opinions as uneducated and uncivilized. The straight guys are trying to explain that in the race for a mate they must discern who is friend or foe. This is true for gay men too. They also have to compete for a place in the hierarchy of attractiveness. Gay guys do this too.

But think of a football team. For a young guy to advance his career, his earning power, his circle of friends, his attractiveness, he has to team up with mentors, team mates and supporters. Guys can do this strategically by forming alliances with power brokers, by forming gangs, or by beating other guys at their own game. I suspect that you know this. When the stakes include female attention the games can get pretty intense.

You have raised the alternative proposition of attachments between guys based on affiliation or "attraction" rather than competition. I guess this happens even on the football field and in the locker room - Male Bonding, friendship, brotherly or fatherly relationships, and one of the most common threads here on LPSG is the question about "Is it straight to... need-to-be-around / look-at / be-jealous-of / touch / share-my-girl-with / suck-off / JO-with my roommate / boss / colleague / GF's ex / neighbor / best friend etc?"

Let's face it, many people don't just view the spectrum of 100% straight <-> 100% gay as a horizontal line, many people view it as a hierarchy, with the straight end very much at the top.

If a guy believes that you threaten his position in the hierarchy ("that's so gay") he'll probably not react kindly.
One of the things I learned about this so-called "discussion" is that some men seem to leap to defensive posturing almost immediately. They don't take the time to look inside themselves and analyze their own motivations, fears and presuppositions. It seems that self-analysis is considered weak or of no value.
I've had very close relationships with guys in high school, college, and now in my twenties. These guys love and care about me. We are close and value our connections with each other. We are not in competition with each other for "chicks". We support and cherish our friendship. We do not primarily identified as gay and we don't want to have sex with each other. But we do love each other.
You have the very fortunate position of being (born?) at the top or near the top of the heirachy. So with your looks, education, personality, strong family background - guys are gonna be attracted to YOU. They will look better by association. Their aim is to stand on the shoulders of a giant. Think of the football team - they wanna play alongside the best players. Unless they think you are out to knock them down. In which case the knives come out!

This attitude also seems to be prevalent among working class and uneducated men.... Anger and fear become the main tools for attack.
Hmm, remember you are speaking from a position of privilege. As a very attractive young bisexual guy you have the ability to both compete with straight guys for women and seduce guys who might not be straight. If guys feel threatened, you might respond with a bit more generosity.

Why do straight guys have to prove anything? No one is asking for that. But inevetably it arises and the pissing contest begins.
I think I know what you are getting at though. Many of us guys here have formed strong emotional attachments with other guys, not (just) based on sex, but on things like support, sharing, intimacy, trust and honesty. Some of these "relationships" exist in the real world and some just here on LPSG. Same thing. So if you are inviting guys to reveal this intimate stuff, don't slam the door in their faces.

It's almost like a game. "I arrive in your space. Challenge you to a fight. And try to verbally destroy you." That wasn't the purpose of this thread, but that is exactly what it turned into.
Admit it, you contributed to that.

...typical. Men have a long way to go to learn how to be civilized and compassionate. I don't expect that to happen any time soon, at least from this discussion.
You opened the door with this thread, why not extend a hand and help a couple of guys through to the world of emotional openness and sensitivity. I know you can do it. I've seen you do it before in other threads. I guess HungNineBud said it better than me.

I also have to say that I think the race issue in this thread is a red herring. It's irrelevant. The expression "down low" might have originated in the black community but the behaviour is not at all exclusive to that race.

Last edited:

B_Bjen2848

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
wait .. now its a racial issue??

WTF

and its the straight guys who are the trolls? what is it about being straight that makes people go "bullshit"? im pretty sure there are crazier things in the world than a man who do not find other men sexually attractive or get "emotionally attached" to other men ... last time i checked straight men were a majority, and being "emotionally attached" was a "friend", "pal", "buddy", "drinking partner" etc.

D_Humper E Bogart

Experimental Member
Media
wait .. now its a racial issue??
WTF
and its the straight guys who are the trolls? what is it about being straight that makes people go "bullshit"? im pretty sure there are crazier things in the world than a man who do not find other men sexually attractive or get "emotionally attached" to other men ... last time i checked straight men were a majority, and being "emotionally attached" was a "friend", "pal", "buddy", "drinking partner" etc.
This is LPSG. Everything is gay. It's quite funny when you think that on this forum, straights are probably subjected to the same kinds of taunts that gays suffer.

I think it's overcompensating for negative cultural bias IRL. I suppose we all do it to an extent. GIFT - Television Tropes & Idioms Covers a tiny matter as well.

shyyguy123

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Hmmm reasons I identify as 100% straight...

Like others said I can appreciate guys that a lot of people think are attractive (ex Brad Pitt and Enrique Iglesias) and see that they're pleasing to look at. But that doesn't mean I have any sort of lust for them at all.

- I've never had the urge to do anything sexual with another guy.

- I've never had the urge to be in any sort of relationship beyond being just friends with another guy.

- I don't enjoy looking at naked men.

I don't see how it's so difficult to imagine there being guys out there that have no interest in other guys???

B_Bjen2848

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Hmmm reasons I identify as 100% straight...

Like others said I can appreciate guys that a lot of people think are attractive (ex Brad Pitt and Enrique Iglesias) and see that they're pleasing to look at. But that doesn't mean I have any sort of lust for them at all.

- I've never had the urge to do anything sexual with another guy.

- I've never had the urge to be in any sort of relationship beyond being just friends with another guy.

- I don't enjoy looking at naked men.

I don't see how it's so difficult to imagine there being guys out there that have no interest in other guys???

be careful, you're about to get called ignorant or something lol

Countryguy63

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
There are plenty of guys who are not sexually interested in men.

There are plenty of guys who won't let themselves admit that they can see that another man is attractive

There are far fewer men who are secure enough in themselves to acknowledge when they see the attractiveness (they are attractive) in another man, and are not afraid of someone thinking that they are less than 100% straight. :rolleyes:

Last edited: