Another Reason To Avoid Wal-Mart

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by MisterMark, Nov 29, 2003.

1. MisterMark

Gold Member

Albums:
    Woman Knocked Unconscious While Shopping

ORANGE CITY, Fla. - A mob of shoppers rushing for a sale on DVD players trampled the first woman in line and knocked her unconscious as they scrambled for the shelves at a Wal-Mart Supercenter.

Patricia VanLester had her eye on a $29 DVD player, but when the siren blared at 6 a.m. Friday announcing the start to the post-Thanksgiving sale, the 41-year-old was knocked to the ground by the frenzy of shoppers behind her.

"She got pushed down, and they walked over her like a herd of elephants," said VanLester's sister, Linda Ellzey. "I told them, `Stop stepping on my sister! She's on the ground!'"

Ellzey said some shoppers tried to help VanLester, and one employee helped Ellzey reach her sister, but most people just continued their rush for deals.

"All they cared about was a stupid DVD player," she said Saturday.

Paramedics called to the store found VanLester unconscious on top of a DVD player, surrounded by shoppers seemingly oblivious to her, said Mark O'Keefe, a spokesman for EVAC Ambulance.

She was flown to Halifax Medical Center in Daytona Beach, where doctors told the family VanLester had a seizure after she was knocked down and would likely remain hospitalized through the weekend, Ellzey said. Hospital officials said Saturday they did not have any information on her condition.

"She's all black and blue," Ellzey said. "Patty doesn't remember anything. She still can't believe it all happened."

Ellzey said Wal-Mart officials called later Friday to ask about her sister, and the store apologized and offered to put a DVD player on hold for her.

Wal-Mart Stores spokeswoman Karen Burk said she had never heard of a such a melee during a sale.

"We are very disappointed this happened," Burk said. "We want her to come back as a shopper."

2. Imported

Gold Member

longtimelurker: The tight bastards! They could at least have given her one free! After all - $29 isn't that much for getting trampled half to death!

3. Imported

Gold Member

wvalady1968: That whole thing is as insane as getting up at 5 AM to go to WalMart in the first place. I hate shopping with crowds, anyway.

4. MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK

MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK Well-Known Member

Right off the bat,I have to say I'd NEVER go into a WALMART after Black Friday, I mean you'd have to be crazy.

5. Imported

Gold Member

Tender: i hate wally world.
    like they have at leat 30 lanes lol but only a handful are 'manned' at any given time by some clerks that dont know what they are doing, and are slow as the 7 yr itch.
    that is after you trot around in circles for an hour trying to find the little what not you are looking for.... like matches, or fingernail files and such...... then they move them again !
    they always give your toddler a sticker when you come in. thats so that you can spend your time picking it up off the floor every 5 mins so you end up staying forever...... stay awhile lol have a cookie, here stay foreverrrrrrrr at our pharmacy.... your meds will be expired before you get checked out......
    oh i also looove the check yourself out lanes.... i want to know if we save money by not paying a clerk....why isnt my toilet paper cheaper?
    :-/
    Tender

6. Imported

Gold Member

str8_nnj: ...Tender,
    Don't you just love the cashiers who ask,"did you find all that you were looking for? or "have a nice day"..to which I usually reply,.."it's gotta get better from here"

:D

7. Imported

Gold Member

Tender: no i never find all im looking for.
    everything they have is made of plastic ::)
    disposable everything.......

youd think with every dollar in the world, they could hire some help too...
    frequently it DOESNT get better from there....
    most stores have the same lousy service anymore...
    whatever happened to the customer always being right? or course that can be taken too far, but you know what i mean....

Tender

8. Imported

Gold Member

Jake27: Tender;

You know why they don't have nearly enough help? They run off the potential applicants. Most of the honest one's anyways. I tried applying once. They gave me this opinion sheet. And of course they don't want your opinion they want the, "company" opinion. So I ended up in a real battle of wits with the general manager. guy didn't have a clue. Specially when he began enforcing that 'his" opinion was the 'right' one. after about an hour of debating i finally gave up. Too shify eyed for me. :D

9. Imported

Gold Member

ORCABOMBER: Unfortunately Wal-Mart bought ASDA stores in the UK, so they exist here as well. :( More importantly though, I tend to think that Christmas is now a season to have "wars" in sadl. I mean, I've seen people act that stupid and it does make you wonder if their lives are worth living.

10. Imported

Gold Member

tracksuitboy: Mark,

I'm so pleased that Wal-Mart care so much about their customers; particularly those who are trampled half-to-death by ignorant people wrapped in their own desire to "get the cheap DVD player!".  Wal-Mart took in $1.5 billion on Black Friday - no wonder they couldn't afford to give the damned DVD player to the lady.

PS.  A DVD player for $29 - don't these people know it's going to crap!

11. Imported

Gold Member

str8_nnj: ...OK FOLKS...here's the update on the lady who took a header in Wal-marts....Seems the golddigger has had...now get this...9 other "incidents" in Walmarts..
    And other places like supermarkets...(the old slip on hand lotion that had been left carelessly in the aisle trick)...lmao....guess even having your sister along to witness the unfortunate two and a half with full twist didn't help

12. Imported

Gold Member

pghcyclist: The only time we were in wal-mart, we noticed that they had anti-freeze next to cheerios. We haven't been back.

Scott, who prefers milk on his cereal

13. Imported

Gold Member

SpeedoGuy: I try to avoid Wal-Mart like the plague. They're noisy, disorganized, annoying and seemingly patronized by the same people I see in the audience on every Jerry Springer show. There are poorly disciplined kids running amok through the aisles in their underwear, disinterested clerks gossiping and snapping chewing gum, arguments in latin american and eastern european language dialects, popcorn and sugary drinks spilled on the floor near the food court...

Yikes

SG

14. Imported

Gold Member

HungJordan: They also underpay their workers, put competing businesses out of business by undercutting them on price (this they can do because their sheer size allows them to sell in large volume).

They have a dismal record on the way they treat minorities, and have arguable broken immigration laws by hiring illegal immigrants.

15. Imported

Gold Member

Tender: okay,
    i guess i must confess, i do not like WM at all.
    but i shop there.
    it is nice to get everything at ONE store.
    they are open 24 hours.
    They have a fairly decent return policy.
    and they match competitors ads.

so what is one to do?
    when you got 3 kiddos in diapers the only time to GO shopping is after bedtime.... 8 or 9 and then half of everything is closed.
    dont have time to go to three or four stores to get everything i need. caught at both ends...

:-/
    Tender

16. Imported

Gold Member

str8_nnj: ..Welcome walmart shopper............. ;D

Sorry Tender

17. Imported

Gold Member

SpeedoGuy: Tender:

You're right. WM does have a good returns policy. Its pretty much no questions asked. I should know, I've taken advantage of it a time or two (at least those times when I can could get the clerk's attention).

;)

SG

Draft saved Draft deleted