Another sort of new Canadian- And a Happy Holiday

komodoman

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Welcome Novaboy...I'm new to the lpsg neighbourhood too...also a fellow Canadian, now living in Hong Kong. (I've been in HK so long, I forgot it was Thanksgiving. ) Your post was brilliant....well said! Catch you around.
Rich

MattBrick

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Hey I have a question. In Canada you have Thanks-giving when we have Columbus day in the US. You have no Columbus day, and when it is Thanks-giving here, it is a work day in Canada. Do you celebrate your Thanks-giving there like we celebrate here: Thanks-giving, Columbus day, or something totally different?
I've always wondered about that.
Thanks.
Matt

dolf250

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I am not 100% certain that I understand the question, but we celebrate Thanksgiving on our thanksgiving (we have already celebrated it and it is done) and pretty much do not have any Columbus day. When you have your thanksgiving it seems to be a bigger deal (at least according to what I have read) than what it is up here. It is a nice day off to see family and have supper, but it does not seem to be a huge deal.

davidjh7

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
dolf250 said:
I am not 100% certain that I understand the question, but we celebrate Thanksgiving on our thanksgiving (we have already celebrated it and it is done) and pretty much do not have any Columbus day. When you have your thanksgiving it seems to be a bigger deal (at least according to what I have read) than what it is up here. It is a nice day off to see family and have supper, but it does not seem to be a huge deal.

Here in the US it is mainly an excuse to eat, and provide an excuse for marketers to shove Christmas down our throats and have the opportunity to start the shopping madhouse. It's mostly a reason for retailers to gauge whether or not to close the business come Jan 1.:biggrin1:

D_Gunther Snotpole

Account Disabled
Media
chimes said:
I also appear to be Canadian. Hopefully, you're like me, and out in western Canada - then we can consolodate and wrestle power from the eastern Canadians, who only want recognition for their own penises, and forget about the pensises of Alberta who provide an inequal amount of equality payments! Thank goodness natural resource revenues are exempt, or we'd be paying equality payments with our penises as well.
All humor intended.

For a minute, judging from your typos, I felt there was no way you could be an Albertan.
Then I saw your gallery.
Albertan, all right.:cool:
Welcome.

MattBrick

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Sorry if I what I said was confusing
uh, what I meant was
1)On your Thanks-giving, do you have to sit at home, and eat roast turkey, and cranberry sauce, and pumkin pie, and watch a parade and football on TV? And the atmosphere is almost like a religious holiday? Businesses are closed? People make a big deal of it?
or....
2)Or people in the Untited States and Canada celebrated October 9 basically the same way. It's not a huge deal? Day off of school, but businesses are open? Department stores hold sales? Italian street festivals? Small local parades? Not a uniform national event?
or...
3) Something different all together?

Thanks
Matt

MattBrick

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Oh, by the way #1 describes how we celebrate our Thanks-giving in November in the United States. #2 Describes what we do here on our Columbus day/your Thanks-giving.

dolf250

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
It seems like it is mostly #2, but businesses are closed- it is a stat holiday and the TSX does not trade for the day. Many businesses choose to remain open though and even my employer (running heavy equipment- like it can't wait for a day) decided to run a normal day. Many people have turkey, but I can't think of any parades and though I am sure there is football- I just never watch it.)

D_Gunther Snotpole

Account Disabled
Media
MattBrick said:
Sorry if I what I said was confusing
uh, what I meant was
1)On your Thanks-giving, do you have to sit at home, and eat roast turkey, and cranberry sauce, and pumkin pie, and watch a parade and football on TV? And the atmosphere is almost like a religious holiday? Businesses are closed? People make a big deal of it?
or....
2)Or people in the Untited States and Canada celebrated October 9 basically the same way. It's not a huge deal? Day off of school, but businesses are open? Department stores hold sales? Italian street festivals? Small local parades? Not a uniform national event?
or...
3) Something different all together?
Thanks
Matt

I wouldn't call it a religious holiday, but as dolf says, many businesses are closed, as are the banks.
And we do have turkey, cranberry sauce, and pumpkin pie.
I would say it's much like the American celebration, but on a smaller scale.
I have read in one or two places that Thanksgiving in the States is as big or bigger than Christmas ... though I find that hard to believe.
One would never, however, say that of the Canadian celebration.

Novaboy

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Awesome.

What gives with dissing the east coast? Ontario sure (too rude) but I am from No Sco and damn proud.

Did I somehow give the impression that I was "dissing" the East coast?
Perhaps it was other poster's comments that you were referring to?

Saying I'm a maritimer in my heart certainly doesn't sound negative to me.

Novaboy