Another thing about Popes

madame_zora

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Freddie, I think you do that better than anyone I know. It's one of the major things I find so admirable about you. I want to thank you for all the time you took in this thread, you participation here was vital, as usual. I have been reawakened to continue searching, having found that I had let my curiousity lag. Despite my age, this is an issue I have picked up and put down so many times I genuinely feel like I'm starting over again.

GBO, there you go killing me with semantics again! Yes, I appreciate you, and in a very humanistic sense I love you too. Don't go soft on me, you know what I mean. I no longer see exchanges with you as debates so much as opportunities to grow. This was a good one.

Freddie53

Superior Member
Gold
Media
Originally posted by madame_zora@May 2 2005, 04:58 AM
Freddie, I think you do that better than anyone I know. It's one of the major things I find so admirable about you. I want to thank you for all the time you took in this thread, you participation here was vital, as usual. I have been reawakened to continue searching, having found that I had let my curiousity lag. Despite my age, this is an issue I have picked up and put down so many times I genuinely feel like I'm starting over again.

[post=307105]Quoted post[/post]​
Thanks Jana,
I taught comparative religions, pholopsphy , and cultures of the ancient peoles in sixth grade. Plus I was taught to debate as a game and mental activityby my father. This thread has enrich my life.

B_hungrick

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Originally posted by Freddie53@May 1 2005, 06:46 PM
ORIGINAL SIN AND THE BIBLE AND WHO IS GOD - My View

First what is the Bible. It is a record of man's relationship to God. God is perfect man is not. So if you take the Bible as a whole and can truly understand it as a complete body of work and udnerstand the symbolic parts, the parts where men misunderstood and the parts where men understood, get past translation difficulties and understanding the relationship of culture and civil law, well we might have a perfect document. But....we can't do that.

Much of the Bible is mytholigical in that it is told to make a point about something. IT is not factual material. This is particularly true of the Old Testament. The Creation sotry covers 7 days a perfect cycle. HOw long is a day? There wasn't an earth here in the beginning. So a day is an era that could cover billions upon billions of years. The Adam and Eve story, a story told to illustrate man's condition. We will all die. But God will provide a way to eternal life. Of course it is our fault according to the story. Every ancient culture in that area has a Garden of Eden story, Noah story and Creation story and they are remarkable similar. They were passed down by oral traition and then Moses wanted the stories that had been told around the campfires for years to be canonized. So it was ordered. Moses didn't write the first five books of the Bible. He had it done. Much of it was done after his death which is recoreded in the book that he "supposedly" wrote. Growing up I got into trouble asking how Moses could have written the last part since he was dead.

The Bible is sacred because it has stood the test of time. In the stories are eternal truths that can be found if you look for them.

While I myself choose to believe the Virgin Birth, and actaul Resurrection stories. To be believe that is no more "flaky" then to believe you will come back as something else later on or to believe in a life after death to start with.

I choose to believe in the basic premises of the Bible.

Who is God? Well we know from CAT scans and MRI's that brain waves serve as mental function. We know how a computer works. The Bible says that God is everywhere but you can't see him.

There is electrical and wave energy everywhere. We know how much intelligence is in a small brain. What is all the electrical energy and waves thorughout all the universe were connected. Then this electical energy and wave force would have a huge mental capacity to even alter the direction of some things. It would explain why there is order in the universe. If that is true. I would want to have my life on the same order wave length as this intelligent electrical energy and wave force. What do I call this force? GOD. Are there many spirits throughout the world? I think so. Are any of them eqal with GOD? No. But then in the Bible and in orther cultures the word God is both singular and plural. Could this intelligent life force have periods where part of it is in opposition with the other part? Perhaps so. I wouldn't rule it out. Could it alter life to the point to cause a virgin birth? I would say yes. That is what I believe.

Do I really believe all that I just wrote? Not sure. I have done a lot of thinking about it and trying to reconcile all that I know and have read and heard.

My wife is happier. She just accepts it all without worrying about it. I won't so much to have every answer. I don't. But I do have my beliefs. I am satisfied being a Methodist. But DMW, if the Methodist Church fails for some reason, I would feel much more comfortable and would welcome being a Catholic now then when we first met.
[post=307053]Quoted post[/post]​

Thanx for the explanations. As I understand you, faith is the primary motivator for christians. Faith in god, faith in the bible as god's word, and faith in jesus christ as god become man. These are really big suppositions to me. Also the existence of a soul. Do plants have a soul? Do all living things have a soul?

Why is it necessary that human beings live after death? No other living things have a life after death, do they? This also presupposes that each human being is determined as special & unique & created by god in some deliberate way

Also is god personal? I mean, is s/he a being that has a gender & or whims,interests & desires? By definition god is perfect as distinct from the rest of reality which is considered imperfect. Maybe god is just reality & it's all just perfect in its imperfection.

MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Originally posted by madame_zora+May 2 2005, 01:13 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(madame_zora &#064; May 2 2005, 01:13 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-GottaBigOne@May 1 2005, 07:20 PM
I know that we wont ever see eye to eye on this. I respect your views.

Hey, by the way, did you call me a fool????
[post=306944]Quoted post[/post]​

Not unless you believe the Bible literally&#33; No, fool, I didn&#39;t call you no fuckin&#39; fool, fool&#33;
Just foolin&#39;, I&#39;ve been fooling around all day. I&#39;m feeling foolish, wanna fool around?

[post=307004]Quoted post[/post]​
[/b][/quote]
Oh, definitely there, MZ, I&#39;d be your fool anytime.

Now to serious side, can we pleeeeeaaaasssee drop this topic? I&#39;ve heard enough about the popes in the last 30 days than I have in the last 20 yrs the that John Paul II was in office.

D_Humper E Bogart

Experimental Member
Media
Originally posted by steve319@Apr 25 2005, 03:38 AM
I&#39;d certainly recommend everyone read it, though, to see what all the fuss is about. And if you&#39;re pressed for time (and have a sense of humor), you can skip it and get a good idea by reading this HILARIOUS little article by Dave Barry:

Dave Barry on The DaVinci Code

"This is incredible&#33; Soon I will say what it is.&#39;&#39; :lol:
[post=304418]Quoted post[/post]​
Wonderful&#33;

B_hungrick

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Originally posted by MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK+May 6 2005, 03:26 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK &#064; May 6 2005, 03:26 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by madame_zora@May 2 2005, 01:13 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-GottaBigOne
@May 1 2005, 07:20 PM
I know that we wont ever see eye to eye on this. I respect your views.

Hey, by the way, did you call me a fool????
[post=306944]Quoted post[/post]​

Not unless you believe the Bible literally&#33; No, fool, I didn&#39;t call you no fuckin&#39; fool, fool&#33;
Just foolin&#39;, I&#39;ve been fooling around all day. I&#39;m feeling foolish, wanna fool around?

[post=307004]Quoted post[/post]​
Oh, definitely there, MZ, I&#39;d be your fool anytime.

Now to serious side, can we pleeeeeaaaasssee drop this topic? I&#39;ve heard enough about the popes in the last 30 days than I have in the last 20 yrs the that John Paul II was in office.
[post=308521]Quoted post[/post]​
[/b][/quote]

Hey Massive,

Sorry about all this pope & religion talk but it&#39;s a real area of negativity in my own family, so it sets me off everytime I read something about it. My parents are no longer catholics & they&#39;ve been being fighting with THEIR parents (my grandparents) about religion for years. It&#39;s been a big problem in my family where people don&#39;t even talk to each other any more because of religious beliefs. I try to underdstand this stuff so maybe at some point I can get them all back together & caring about each other, rather then being hateful & bitter.

steve319

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Originally posted by ORCABOMBER+May 6 2005, 09:31 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ORCABOMBER &#064; May 6 2005, 09:31 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-steve319@Apr 25 2005, 03:38 AM

Dave Barry on The DaVinci Code
[post=304418]Quoted post[/post]​
Wonderful&#33;
[post=308552]Quoted post[/post]​
[/b][/quote] It is, isn&#39;t it? I giggled off an on for DAYS after reading that. I think it captures the silliness of the book and the transparent reader-manipulation in a really hilarious way. I&#39;m surprised more people didn&#39;t post about loving it (maybe everyone had already seen it?) :evilgrin: