Anthony Minghella (director) dies, aged 54

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by ManlyBanisters, Mar 18, 2008.

1. ManlyBanisters

Gold Member

This came as a bit of a shock when I read it.

The Associated Press: Director Anthony Minghella Dies at 54

I can't say I was his biggest fan or anything, however I rarely like Romantic films and yet I have a huge soft spot for Truly, Madly, Deeply - and I always found his films watchable and more than technically competant.

I also find the manner of his passing quite sad, not to mention he had an awful lot of life left to live.

2. dong20

Gold Member

I thought TMD was good, if rather twee, but I did like Rickman's performance! The English Patient I did like.

Shame, two in one day.

3. northwestone

northwestone New Member

he's my old boss, very nice guy, a real charmer, and a beautiful teller of stories, it's a terrible shame for cinema

4. alex8.5

Gold Member

Albums:
    I've had the pleasure of working with Anthony on a screenplay years ago. I will miss him.

5. D_Gunther Snotpole

D_Gunther Snotpole Account Disabled

I didn't know much of his work, but I loved The English Patient, and when I saw him interviewed, he struck me as an exceptionably intelligent and gentle man.
    Very sad. He was still quite young and had probably huge scads of brilliant work ahead of him.

6. prince_will

Gold Member

Albums:
    I'm totally in love with The Talented Mr. Ripley, so i was hurt to find that Minghella suddenly just died. A great loss. i would've loved to see more of his work.

7. Northland

Gold Member

I'm never shocked by death related to hospital procedures.

When the news blibbit of this crawled across the bottom of the screen late yesterday, I did a Google search to get an image of him-sad, that now I won't have a chance to bond with him. Still can't quite figure out what the big hoo-ha was about The Boring Patient or how it garnered an Academy nomination, much less a win. I did however enjoy Cold Mountain. I hope and pray his family and friends find some comfort in knowing that Minghella enriched and excited the otherwise dreary lives of many. He may be physically gone; but, his work will live on.

Draft saved Draft deleted