Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
It was announced at 8.30pm that Factory Records founder Anthony Wilson lost his battle with cancer tonight,he was 57.
I know there are fans of Joy Division/New Order on here who will be saddened to hear this news.He gave so many young musicians their first chance to release a record when no-one else was interested.
His enthusiasm never declined,in the last few years he organized the 'In The City' events in Manchester and New York.
He was a great character who will be very much missed.
There are audio and video tributes here :
BBC - Manchester - Entertainment - Anthony Wilson: Mancunian legend

The BBC news obituary : BBC NEWS | England | Manchester | Obituary: Tony Wilson

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
It was announced at 8.30pm that Factory Records founder Anthony Wilson lost his battle with cancer tonight,he was 57.
I know there are fans of Joy Division/New Order on here who will be saddened to hear this news.He gave so many young musicians their first chance to release a record when no-one else was interested.
His enthusiasm never declined,in the last few years he organized the 'In The City' events in Manchester and New York.
He was a great character who will be very much missed.
There are audio and video tributes here :
BBC - Manchester - Entertainment - Anthony Wilson: Mancunian legend

The BBC news obituary : BBC NEWS | England | Manchester | Obituary: Tony Wilson

I am a fan of both Joy Division and New Order.

One of my favorite T-shirts was a black shirt with the album art of "closer" on it.

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I'm sad to hear that, although I didn't like him as a person he played a large part in the music and journalistic scene in Manchester over a lot of years.

He is not really known here in the states. Are you familiar with the band The Chameleons they were from Mancheser and are my favorite band?:biggrin1:

SpoiledPrincess

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
No I'm not familiar with them, all of the music I like tends to be girly - Lisa Loeb, Happy Rhodes, Sarah McLachlan, etc., although I do listen to some stuff that is sung by men (the Eels, Death Cab) it's all a bit on the soppy side :)

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I saw The Chameleons at The Hacienda in the early '80s,they were excellent and under-rated by many.
I had so many great nights at The Hac,I thank Tony for making it all happen.

Yes, they have a bootleg video out, I beleive called live at the Hacienda.

They were VERY under-rated. Their music was incredible. they have 3 "proper" albums (I love the word proper because it is not used in this context in "the states" ) They later realeased a greatest hits CD. I have 4 or 5 other bootleg compilations of their work.

SpoiledPrincess

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I have some great memories of nights at the hacienda where I can't remember what happened I was so drunk :) Jilly's was another great place but very divey and that's still there.

Yorkie

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
An update from nme.comThe cause of death wasn't the cancer...

Anthony H. Wilson, co-founder of Factory Records, has died of a heart attack today (August 10) at the age of 57.

Wilson is best known for signing legendary bands including Joy Division and New Order to his label, and as owner of the Hacienda nightclub in Manchester.

He played a key role in the Madchester scene of the late 1980s and early 1990s, signing the Happy Mondays.

Wilson passed away on this evening in the hospital after suffering a heart attack that his doctor said was unrelated to his recent battle with cancer.

Professor Robert Hawkins, his doctor at Christie hospital, told the Guardian: "It's very sad. He died as a result of something unrelated to his cancer. His cancer was responding well to treatment but obviously did contribute to his poor health".

Recently it was recommended he take the drug Sutent after chemotherapy failed to treat the disease effectively, but the NHS refused to pay for the £3500-a-month treatment.

However, the Happy Mondays and other bands he signed had started a charity fund to help pay for Wilson's treatment.

His family are reportedly declining to comment at this time, but thanked the staff at the MRI and Christie who have provided "fantastic" care for him over the last few months.

huw ginnit

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
He made Manchester what it is and it made him.... I remember him from years gone by, when he'd read Granada Reports, when I was like, 5 or 6.

He often said he couldn't have done what he did anywhere else...

Best wishes on your way Tony.

There's a Hacienda exhibition at Urbis in Manchester celebrating the product of the man's foresight and creativity, for those able to travel.

Yorkie

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
He made Manchester what it is and it made him.... I remember him from years gone by, when he'd read Granada Reports, when I was like, 5 or 6.

He often said he couldn't have done what he did anywhere else...

Best wishes on your way Tony.

There's a Hacienda exhibition at Urbis in Manchester celebrating the product of the man's foresight and creativity, for those able to travel.
Thanks for the info Huw,I'll be able to go next month.It runs until Feb 17th.
Urbis - Homepage
Tha last time I saw Tony was at the Manchester V Cancer charity gig on January 28th 2006 where he introduced New Order (playing an exclusive Joy Division set).There was the traditional booing from some of the crowd when he appeared.When Bernard stepped up to the mic he said "You shouldn't boo Tony,he's a good lad..."
He only ever got cheers from me.

B_HappyHammer1977

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I'd never wish death on anyone, however the man was an arrogant tosser, so far up his own arse his head would pop out of his mouth! Next stop for the grim reaper; Malcolm McClaren! ... Let's hope!

Yorkie

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I'd never wish death on anyone, however the man was an arrogant tosser, so far up his own arse his head would pop out of his mouth! Next stop for the grim reaper; Malcolm McClaren! ... Let's hope!
Being highly intelligent,articulate and confident is something you should aspire to.It takes a lot of self-belief to achieve as much as he did.
I don't call this arrogance.
He could be self-deprecating.When an interviewer was praising him,Tony claimed to be untalented but "lucky to know talented people and bring them together".

"He was very passionate about music and he believed the band should have total freedom," Stephen Morris, of Joy Division and New Order, told the BBC.
"He was I think, the only person in the music industry that didn't believe in contracts. You'd see him do deals with record companies and the whole thing was done on the back of his hand. You could literally do what you want."

And he made southerners wish they lived in Manchester.

Not_Punny

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Wow, sorry to hear about his death.

(I'm not going to be an idiot and pretend like I knew about him. But I've read what you've written about him in this thread, and it's very touching -- and I'm not saying that sarcastically.)

Yorkie

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Wow, sorry to hear about his death.

(I'm not going to be an idiot and pretend like I knew about him. But I've read what you've written about him in this thread, and it's very touching -- and I'm not saying that sarcastically.)
Than you. I know you wouldn't be sarcastic.He was responsible for bringing a lot of pleasure to a lot of people.I've been reading all the tributes on other message boards,it's good to see how many people appreciate what he did.