Anti-Americanism at LPSG

Not_Punny

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I am usually "miss nice" but I recently saw a number of threads that grossed me out...

One of them was this thread:

Does he like me?

It wasn't the SUBJECT of the thread that grossed me out: it was the fact that someone (wldhoney) spoke up in what she believed was good conscience -- and not only did SHE get spat on, but AMERICA was spat on...

And nobody raised a finger in defense.

I am sorry, but I don't give a RAT'S ASS what people think about Americans. However, I do give a rat's ass about manners.

-- This website is owned and operated by Americans
-- This website is hosted on American soil, meaning we need to respect the laws of our country
-- I could be wrong, but I believe that the largest concentrations of members are Americans
-- The website uses technology developed IN America and BY Americans

I don't care what you privately think, but surely you people were raised to HAVE SOME MANNERS???

Doesn't anyone have manners anymore??

Or are people too "politically correct" to say "shut the fuck up" when guests are being obnoxious and rude?

Or are people so apathetic that they just stand there and whimper when someone bashes their country?

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I am usually "miss nice" but I recently saw a number of threads that grossed me out...

Does he like me?

It wasn't the SUBJECT of the thread that grossed me out: it was the fact that someone (wldhoney) spoke up in what she believed was good conscience -- and not only did SHE get spat on, but AMERICA was spat on...

I am sorry, but I don't give a RAT'S ASS what people think about Americans. However, I do give a rat's ass about manners.

-- This website is hosted on American soil, meaning we need to respect the laws of our country
-- I could be wrong, but I believe that the largest concentrations of members are Americans

I don't care what you privately think, but surely you people were raised to HAVE SOME MANNERS???

Or are people too "politically correct" to say "shut the fuck up" when guests are being obnoxious and rude?

Or are people so apathetic that they just stand there and whimper when someone bashes their country?
I saw the preview, when I held my cursor/pointer over that thread, and I was not interested, so I passed it by.

But no, I'm not one to stand on PC idiocy. I generally call 'em like I see 'em.

Not_Punny

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I saw the preview, when I held my cursor/pointer over that thread, and I was not interested, so I passed it by.

But no, I'm not one to stand on PC idiocy. I generally call 'em like I see 'em.

Good point DC -- I'm not sure which I'm actually mad at: the people who say bad things, or the people who do nothing.

Actually, I take that back - I know what I'm mad at: I'm mad at people who are intentionally rude to their hosts.

D_Joseba_Guntertwat

Experimental Member
Media
Some people like to start arguments. There have been a few recently about UK vs USA, most of them pointless.
In the interests of intercontinental harmony, I usually avoid such conversations. And I think American girls are hot, especially you HotMilf ;)

frizzle

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
Pansexual
I think you're overly patriotic. Just because the website is hosted in America does not mean we cannot criticize it. And true the website uses technology created by Americans, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't JUST Americans.

I think you need to learn how to either take a joke, or put up with criticism, even unfair criticism or move countries, because people aren't going to stop criticizing your country for a long time.

Eva

Experimental Member
Media

I'd rather expend the effort on someone who can function intellectually. None of the shitters in there fit the description.

huw ginnit

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
This happens in many threads, the good stay quiet, the raving get away with their pet tirades and monologues.

Someone said that all gay men were hairdressers or interior designers. Now that may have been meant as a joke, but those kind of jokes stopped being "funny" twenty+ years ago... No-one said anything, I wanted to but the person who made the comment has some vociferous friends.

I was offended...but what do you do... seethe, fume... I let it go I'm afraid.

Not_Punny

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Thanks everyone for your input. Yes, I've been a bit oversensitive lately -- I need to practice deep breaths...

Thanks again for tolerating my little rant.

Except for Frizzle!! Bend over, I'm gong to spank you!!:biggrin1:

I think it's a combination.

Manners are nearly extinct to the point that to show courtesy to others frequently makes them think you're a doormat.

Many Americans are embarrassed by the actions of the government abroad and the image of dismal ineptitude our leadership projects. If someone says that Americans are prudes or idiots, 'Well,' think the Americans, 'we elected one twice, it's understandable they think that way,' and so stay silent.

When I read that particular post from Wldhoney, I thought she was jumping the gun, immediately trying to silence a discussion many other people thought was perfectly reasonable. To me, she came across as morally indignant; too black and white. While I know Wldhoney isn't like that, I can understand how others, particularly foreigners, found her post to be in line with the kind of hypocritical moral proselytizing America's conservatives and current government like to promote at home and abroad. In this case, as soon as that kind of message (rightly or wrongly) was even slightly sensed, the non-Americans pounced, expecting that Wldhoney represented the sort of self-righteous American that our government tells the world we all are.

Two issues to which people are very sensitive just slightly brushed each other and immediately became entangled.

HazelGod

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay

Osiris

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response

Does he like me?

I did the same thing DC_Deep did. It wasn't a thread I felt I was going to be constructive or interested in and bypassed it. After reading it, I have to concur that wldhoney being one of the most peaceful posters on here getting treated that way was deplorable.

I wouldn't make this a nationalist issue as much as it is a common courtesy issue. There are people who seem to purposely post rude remarks and then hide behind the moniker of "I was joking". OK, I have a question, when someone takes the joke seriously, why not explain that it was a joke? It seems that the majority of nasty anti-american posters who claim "joke" status get defensive and even nastier in their sentiment when if it was a joke, all they had to say was just that and the issue drops.

And not meaning to purposely single anyone out, but other UK members have been very UK patriotic and that is great and your right. The flip side is equal time. When someone doesn't attack your right, you shouldn't attack theirs and when getting called on it, you can't hide behind "it was a joke" after it has flamed into an all out war of the nations.

Everybody wants to be treated with respect and dignity. No one is going to hand it over to you, it is earned.

Back to the UK vs. USA battles. It is getting irritating that threads that have nothing to do with nationalist politics (USA or UK) get somehow turned into a nationalist chest thumping session. The OP was asking a question about a guy he thought was attracted to him. What the Sam Hill does that have to do with UK nationalism vs. USA nationalism? There may be difference in views due to different national cultures, but it doesn't need to become a war.

I just think people should read a post, if it upsets you, walk away, think about it, then come back and reply. I also have seen people hindsight say "I was wrong" or "I misunderstood." This usually happens for responding out of the heat of passion or anger.

Just think guys. Give what you want back is the only thing I can say.

Calboner

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

I have to call bullshit on this post.

You entitle the thread "Anti-Americanism at LPSG," then you claim that you "don't give a RAT'S ASS what people think about Americans." What rubbish! You say that you only care about manners, but Lesmeljos's reply to Wldhoney in that thread shows only run-of-the-mill internet rudeness. Clearly, it is only because, according to your overwrought account of events, "AMERICA was spat on" that you get into such high dudgeon about this.

The disingenousness of your claim that your concern is with good manners is evident from your inane argument that it's offensive to run down Americans on LPSG because the site is mostly run, hosted, etc., by Americans using American technology. By that logic, it would be unobjectionable to piss on other nationalities, since they don't make an equal contribution to the web site. Do you seriously believe that? I hope not. In any case, it is a ridiculous position to take. If someone makes offensive remarks to a person of a certain nationality or even about that nationality itself, the fact that he or she does it on a web site hosted by or produced or supported by persons of that nationality is irrelevant to the offensiveness.

Not_Punny

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Thanks again.... Jason_ELS, HazelGod, Orcabomber, and all other respondents.

I offer myself unconditionally in reparation for any irritation caused by us pesky foreign types. :tongue:

Well! That would certainly make it all worthwhile!!! :biggrin1:

I just think people should read a post, if it upsets you, walk away, think about it, then come back and reply. I also have seen people hindsight say "I was wrong" or "I misunderstood." This usually happens for responding out of the heat of passion or anger.

Just think guys. Give what you want back is the only thing I can say.

Good point. I need to practice that a more! I usually do, but I "slipped" lately.

Manners are nearly extinct to the point that to show courtesy to others frequently makes them think you're a doormat.

. . . .

Two issues that people are very sensitive to just slightly brushed each other and immediately became entangled.

Dead on, Jason-ELS. :wink:

Oh..... HazelGod -- I'd ask to borrow that gun, but I sometimes do agree with Mr. Frizzle!

Osiris

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Oh..... HazelGod -- I'd ask to borrow that gun, but I sometimes do agree with Mr. Frizzle!

THANK YOU FOR SAYING THIS! I often think Frizzle gets dismissed as a hateful, spiteful person when he is just being brief and direct, but I agree with some of the things he has posted. If I don't, I usually ask him to explain as I could be interpreting the words on the screen incorrectly. He has never been rude when I've asked him to do this either.

Now there are things he has said that upset me, but rather then create a hate war, I let it go. I'm sure many of you would say that is weak, but there are enough fights on this forum without me starting one.

Mr. Snakey

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response

Does he like me?

You are as right in everything you say. Thankyou for saying it.:smile:

Osiris

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
And just because I want to be a stickler... :wink: vBulletin - the software used on LPSG for the boards - was developed by Jelsoft in the UK. :tongue:

Is this where I can start the Anti-Canadian thread? :biggrin1:

I wondered about that as most of the Bulletin Board software I have seen is from the UK.