Anti-Americanism

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by ital8, Jan 6, 2007.

1. ital8

ital8 New Member

I've been reading a couple books not necessarily about Anti-Americanism, but how radical Islam is sweeping over the European continent. This in a way is connected to Anti-Americanism (according to what I've read) because the majority of European politicians side with the PLO and detest American politics because we are allied with Israel. I'm just curious to know how true and how prevelant this movement is in Europe. I know ever since America has invaded Iraq, Anti-Americanism has been at an all time high in other countries. It's almost to the point where it is becoming a sport. I'm not a big fan of George Bush, as most Americans would say the same, but quite frankly I'm starting to get a little sick and tired of American bashing. From my viewpoint, it seems that many Europeans see us as ignorant, stupid, and patriotic to the point of blindness. I think this is due to the fact of how the European media portrays us. Europeans accuse our media of being blatantly one-sided;one which spoon feeds us lies. But at the same time, I feel that the European media is doing exactly the same. If you look at Europe you will notice that there are many radical muslims (keep in mind I don't have anything against the Islamic faith-only the fundamentalists) that are pouring their way into politics. Look at the Madrid bombing, London attacks, and the Paris riots. But yet, European politicians refuse to see any threat. Europe prides itself on equality and tolerance. That's great!!! But it almost becomes to the point where political correctness becomes so pervasive, that more harm than good will be done. I'm not trying to bash Europe, but I have a sinking feeling that Europe is turning a blind eye to a situation that is festering, and may ultimately get worse. It would be nice to hear from others (especially Europeans who have a first hand experience).

2. HazelGod

Gold Member

Albums:
    Gee, I wonder where they'd get an idea like that...

Have you seen the results of the 2004 Presidential election? That assessment seems to apply to just slightly more than half of us.

3. stretcher74

stretcher74 New Member

Albums:
    Have you been reading ...

The Force of Reason - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thought provoking if nothing else.

"Why is it that if I hate Islam I am called a bitch-whore and go to hell, but if I hate America I go to heaven." - O.F.

4. HazelGod

Gold Member

Albums:
    Am I the only one amused that a person named Fallaci has published a book entitled The Force of Reason?

5. Mr. Snakey

Gold Member

This allways bothers me being American. My and other Americans tax dollars in the billions goes to feeding the countries that down us so much. In a nut shell we feed the world. I think its time we cut the money off. The only gratefull country is Africa. Bush sent alot of money for aids..

6. JustAsking

Gold Member

Actually, in terms of % of GNP, we don't even make the list of top 20 countries. We do give the most in absolute $, but its only twice as much as Japan.

As for our AIDS relief, almost all of it is tied to abstinence programs so it is pretty much ineffective. Uganda has had more effect on curbing AIDS in Africa than we have had.

I am not a reflexive Americal basher, but I do try to keep the perspective. My reason for criticizing our foriegn aid is because I want us to do better than this.

7. blackbottom2

Gold Member

Albums:
    Why do we try to force our brand of democracy (even though it is the best in the world) down the throats of people that dont want it and where it unlikely to work effectively

why do we pump almost 10 billion dollars into the wealthiest middle east country in order to arm it to the teeth and give that country more money than we give our own citizens and this money is not accounted for

why do we promote and send out so many positive thoughts about a country with negative on the ground behaviours- is that not propoganda and have we not realised that we should not sacrifice our beliefs and good intentions for the benefit of others that dont appreciate it and who come back to haunt us time and time again- we are still doing it

why do we jump onto the bandwagons of political activists whose intentions are to justify the 10s of billions of dollars being sent and these same activists then make us believe that loads and loads of money is going to places like africa- wheras only 10 billion goes out to the rest of the world and 10 billion goes to one country

ITAL8 why you trying to generate islamic hate and fear of islam- its not fair, biased and I object to it- i am not religous and not fanatical i am not afraid of these people what i am afraid of is people like you- its people like you that generate and promulgate hate fear and injustice- i am glad that most american citizens are not like you because if they were we would be no better than nazi germany or communist russia

8. rob_just_rob

Gold Member

Get over it, fercrissakes.

If you're the town bully, you have to expect the rest of the townspeople to dislike you. If you don't like that, stop being a bully.

Effective bullies don't care if they're disliked; dislike is harmless to the bully. They only need pay attention when the bullied start to align against them.

9. ital8

ital8 New Member

I haven't read "The Force of Reason", but I've read a few other books pertaining to that topic. But one of the points I was trying to make is that the European media is so Anti-American that it will do everything in its power to lay blame on America. Granted, they may have their reasons, but it's to the point where they act as if they are guilt free. Chirac had deals with Saddam, and even helped fund a nucleur facility in Iraq. The UN is also a fucking joke in my opinion.

As for electing Bush for a second term, I believe there were a few reasons why he was re-elected. One, opposition towards Bush wasn't as great in 2004 as now. Two, I think most Americans don't like to switch leaders during war time. Three, Kerry was not a strong opponent. He kept on flip-flopping, and Americans don't like a weak leader. Granted, I did vote for the guy, but I had a feeling he wasn't going to get elected. Let's face it, I think Hillary has bigger balls than Kerry. If these elections were held today, I believe the outcome would be different, though.

10. ital8

ital8 New Member

Blackbottom-you are putting words into my mouth. Did I ever say that I hated Muslim people? No, in fact, I said I don't have any problems with people worshipping the Islamic faith. It's only the fundamentalists who want to blow everyone out of the sky. In fact, I have a friend who is Muslim. So you should think before you speak and not jump to conclusions.

11. B_NineInchCock_160IQ

Well Bush said if you're not with us you're with the terrorists so.... oh..... crap.

12. B_bennekom

B_bennekom New Member

I was about to do a search.Thanks for saving me the trouble JA.How DO people end up believing the hype?

13. mattflanders

mattflanders Member

Albums:
    I totally agree that the image of the US in Europe is definitely based on how the media portray the US. Here in Flanders, the media will do everything to make Bush look stupid and tends to generalize. But people do that too. It's not true that all Europeans think of Americans as ignorant or stupid or so.
    Having live in Turkey last year, it really got on my nerves too to hear that America and the EU are the sole sources of all Turkey's problems and Turkish people really say that everyone in the world hates them. There's just this deeply rooted hate (maybe the word's too strong) for Westerners in general in the Middle East. I was once told "We don't really hate you, we just really hate your country."
    As a result my American friends in Turkey turned to saying that they were Canadian instead.

14. rob_just_rob

Gold Member

Oh great - so in a few years, Canadians will be hated in Turkey, too. :wink:

15. ital8

ital8 New Member

HAHA!! That's very interesting. When I traveled to Australia not too long ago, I was joking around and said that I would tell them I'm Canadian if I experienced any hostilites. But the Australians were extremely friendly people!!! I'm sure you're right MattFlanders, not all Europeans think of Americans in such a negative light. In fact, I met a bunch of Europeans on that trip and they were very nice!! It's one thing to hate the government. Hell, many Americans hate this government. But to hate the people because of your government is a bit unfair.

16. mattflanders

mattflanders Member

Albums:
    And hating Canadians wouldn't be very nice eh? :tongue:

But I'm probably not a good reference either. I'm probably the only Belgian who would kill for a can of root beer right now. (I love the US of A (and Canada too) and I can't wait to cross the Atlantic once and for all)

17. B_Chris_9_inches

B_Chris_9_inches New Member

Yup, thats pretty much true.

When we hear storys of some american woman stealing a boa constrictor from a pet shop then going back the next day to ask to buy a book on how to look after it, what do u expect us to think? lol!!:biggrin1:

Or the american women who thought the Cd tray on her computer was a cup holder!! We hear all these storys from america, so thats why we say that americans are stupid, and when u have a presedent with an IQ of 90, what more should i say? lol!!:biggrin1:

I do love americans though, lots of good things have come from america, so i have no grudge against you, I just wish u could have a decent president for once!!

Sorry if i have offended any americans, i know how patriotic you all are, and understand us Brits are also patriotic :tongue:

18. ital8

ital8 New Member

Chris, you are right. I guess we do deserve to be made fun of at times. In fact, I'll be the first one to do it. I have no problems with people poking fun at some of the stupid things that Americans do, but it's just when some are vindictive and down right full of hate towards Americans that it bothers me. I happen to like the Brits. You've influenced America a lot through pop culture (need I even mention The Beetles), literature, cult classics (Monty Python) and even some TV shows (Ab Fab).

19. dreamer20

Gold Member

Obviously the incidents you have listed prove that Europeans, whether politicians or not, are well aware of radicals and terrorist threats.

As you already know George Bush deliberately invaded the wrong country. I'm so glad that the European press told the truth about there being no weapons of mass distruction in Iraq, unlike the Bush administration which prefered lying to the public.

See Claire Talon's observations below re: the so called "war on terror"

20. Knockernail

Knockernail Member

I guess each nation has an image, but it is basically a cliché. Even so, it´s true that yours is not too nice, here in Europe. Shocks that you call yourself americans, despite the other north, central and south-american nations. Shock phrases like "we feed the world" or "we´re taking democracy". The image of you i´ve grown with, features you like ignorants (can know all about a thing but nothing about else), patriotics to excess (always singing your national hymn and getting up in front of your flag), puritans (european press tells cases like when a child 5yo was expelled from school just because he kissed a girl) and killers (capital punishment). I don´t live in there, so i don´t know if it´s the truth or just a cliché (hope it´s just cliché). But i know many people here that share this image of you.

I think europe tends to the left (or center) and the usa to the right, sometimes the extreme right.

We kicked off Aznar, you should do it with George.

And never forget, there is a world beyond oceans, bigger than usa.:biggrin1:

Draft saved Draft deleted