Anti-Americanism

chico8

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
because the majority of European politicians side with the PLO and detest American politics because we are allied with Israel.

I think this is due to the fact of how the European media portrays us. Europeans accuse our media of being blatantly one-sided;one which spoon feeds us lies.

Look at the Madrid bombing, London attacks, and the Paris riots. But yet, European politicians refuse to see any threat. Europe prides itself on equality and tolerance. That's great!!! But it almost becomes to the point where political correctness becomes so pervasive, that more harm than good will be done. I'm not trying to bash Europe, but I have a sinking feeling that Europe is turning a blind eye to a situation that is festering, and may ultimately get worse.

Europe isn't siding with the PLO, they find Israel's policies with the unconditional American support to be extremely offensive. If the US were to stop coddling Israel the world would be a much better place.

Europe has many levels of media unlike the US where it's either geared towards the business elite or the least common denominator. Anyone who takes the Sun or Das Bild seriously, needs to realize that The Guardian or Die Zeit are counterbalances to the gutter trash of Europe. Europeans in general know much more about the US than Americans know about their neighbour and largest trading partner; Canada.

Stop whining about Europe's gutter trash and learn a little bit more about what Europe is about and the breadth of their media coverage.

You're about 10 years behind buddy, Europe has been under "siege" from Muslims since the end of WWII. France and the North Africans, Germany and the Turks, The Balkans and the Albanians, England and the Pakistanis, etc, etc. Admittedly the socially restrictive policies that many Euro governments pursue are largely to blame but to claim that Europe is oblivious to the hordes from the east shows just how little you know about Europe.

Once again, before you start whining about perceived slights, why don't you do a little research. Proving yourself as an ignorant American is not going to win you any brownie points.

Yorkie

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I totally agree that the image of the US in Europe is definitely based on how the media portray the US. Here in Flanders, the media will do anything to make Bush look stupid and tends to generalize.
I bet they don't do it as well as Jon Stewart on ''The Daily Show''. :smile:

Puntie

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
This allways bothers me being American. My and other Americans tax dollars in the billions goes to feeding the countries that down us so much. In a nut shell we feed the world. I think its time we cut the money off. The only gratefull country is Africa. Bush sent alot of money for aids..

LOL

Feeding the countries that down you so much? So mate, as far as i can see we 'Europeans' are well able to feed ourselves, especially us Irish ere who have one of the best economies in the world, and also the third most richest country in the world, both of which are better than America.

Feed the world mate thats bollox, open your eyes man ye's can barely even feed yoursleves over there ye's import so much.

And since when did Africa become a country??? It's a continent mate with something like 52/53 countries. And i doubt very much that the whole continent is grateful at all, as American aid is a thing called 'tied-aid'. Which means that poorer countries in the world will only be given aid if they buy American products. Explain to me how does that help a country? It doesn't.

As for growing Anti-Americanism and the media, well American media only talk about American issues and Iraq and things that affect America. Media here, well we look at things from both points of view. There are two sides to every story ye know? We get our news here from RTE (Irish), BBC (British), CNN International (International), Euronews (European) ABC (American) CNBC (American) and Sky News (British/International). In America you only take notice of what American stations and broadcasters are saying, so in a way you are being ignorant for not looking for more than an American source of information. It has been well documented that American broadcasters are biased and always lean one way or the other, so how can anyone get the true picture of what is really going on in the world?

I have a friend that is visiting here at the minute whom is in college studying to be some sort of politician in America and he has even said that he did not know everything that was going on in the world until he came here as the media in America does not cover what we cover over here, and he reads the papers and watches the news all the time when he's at home as its part of his course.

And as for Anti-Americanism in general? Well ye's are kinda hypocrites. Ye preach about 'Democracy' and all but if you look closely at your own election process, its NOT very democratic.

I have no problem with Americans at all. I have a good few American friends, most of which are even republican supporters, but i am just telling you how it really is.

If you are interested the best news source is BBC - BBC NEWS | News Front Page

Puntie

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
Chirac had deals with Saddam, and even helped fund a nucleur facility in Iraq. The UN is also a fucking joke in my opinion. quote]

Chirac is not the only one to have had dealings with Saddam. America did for a long long time. And America had dealings with Pinochet (Chile) and Mobutu (Zaire, now DRC), and many other dictators. So don't go blaming others until after you look at yourselves. America is not the best country in the world. Far from it. Its foreign policy is so far up its ass. I'm not saying the European policies are the best, but its a start. We try make peace, not war. Can you say the same?

meatpackingbubba

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
Well, I guess it speaks pretty well of America that all these non-Americans feel so free to spill whatever bile (justified or not) they want.

I would not dream of being as rude to speak of another country like that, whether I was visiting it in person or on a web site based there. In fact, regardless of the venue, anything other than constructive criticism is not particularly welcome or helpful.

I am not pleased with the course of US policy any more than most, but that does not mean that I or anyone else that loves this country takes kindly to cheap shots.

Reminds me a bit of family relations....I may beat up my siblings, but if that makes some outsider think that they can come in and do the same, they will have to go through me first.

Constructive criticism is one thing, thinly disguised envy and hate are another.

Puntie

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
The person who started this vlog wanted Europeans to give there point of view mate. If ye dont like it dont read it.

Envy - I very much doubt it. LOL

meatpackingbubba

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
I am not a nationalistic type, but I am aware of Ireland's economic revival, much of which has to do with its ties with the US.

Now if you want me to put that on terms like you would, it was not long ago that the Irish were running ads in the Wall Street Journal and elsewhere offering to SUCK U.S. COCK if business would relocate there to take advantage of their CHEAP labor, you stupid ass fuckhead.

Fortunately, I know your ignorant ilk do not in anyway represent the VAST MAJORITY of your fellow citizens, who would likely throw your ass in jail for calling for the killing of a duly elected head of state, REGARDLESS of your opinion of him.

I love Ireland and the Irish...you are a very black mark.

Puntie

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
I am not a nationalistic type, but I am aware of Ireland's economic revival, much of which has to do with its ties with the US.

Now if you want me to put that on terms like you would, it was not long ago that the Irish were running ads in the Wall Street Journal and elsewhere offering to SUCK U.S. COCK if business would relocate there to take advantage of their CHEAP labor, you stupid ass fuckhead.

Fortunately, I know your ignorant ilk do not in anyway represent the VAST MAJORITY of your fellow citizens, who would likely throw your ass in jail for calling for the killing of a duly elected head of state, REGARDLESS of your opinion of him.

I love Ireland and the Irish...you are a very black mark.

Apparently you know nothing of us Irish ere mate. There is no need to get so aggressive. I have not nor would i ever be aggressive to you or anyone else i have voicing my opinion just like everyone else. As for duly elected heads of state - think about Palestine mate were Hamas not elected by the people? And how does the US gov feel about that?

ital8

Experimental Member
Media
I didn't intend to create such hostilities when I posted this topic. Granted, it is a touchy subject. But I was hoping for a friendly debate. This topic wasn't to prove which countries are better. I just wanted to get some opinions of why Anti-Americanism exists. I wasn't whining about it either. Honestly, I think it is very important that Europe and America can become closer allies. Think about how much more productive this world can become if everyone just stopped the bitch-fest, lol.

Puntie

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
I didn't intend to create such hostilities when I posted this topic. Granted, it is a touchy subject. But I was hoping for a friendly debate. This topic wasn't to prove which countries are better. I just wanted to get some opinions of why Anti-Americanism exists. I wasn't whining about it either. Honestly, I think it is very important that Europe and America can become closer allies. Think about how much more productive this world can become if everyone just stopped the bitch-fest, lol.

I never intended for things to become so aggressive mate. I am not anti-american far from it but the same as in ALL countries there are good policies and a lot of bad ones and i was kinda pointing that out. And i also agree that America and EU should have stronger ties and hopefully with the current president of the EU, Merkel, this will come about.

madame_zora

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
America has the reputation we've earned, nothing more. Our foreign policies have made us the target for resentment for many years from both Democratic and Republican leaders, and it's come home to roost. Of course, we don't want to take responsibility for our own bad behavior, so we had to wait for an opening to lauch our attack, and Bin Laden provided such an opportunity.

Where is Bin Laden, by the way? Does everyone realise that we called off the search for him? This war is about NOTHING, it never was about anything more than power. Dumbya got his execution of Hussein, just like he wanted. That does not make us the good guys, folks. Hussein was a ruthless despot, no doubt, but when we can call for the execution of another world leader (whom we once supported, by the way), we've gone too far. We needn't wonder about the resentment shown us by other countries.

Oh, and we are desperately stupid. We convince ourselves that we are not, but few of us can speak more than English, and far fewer read news from anywhere outside the US. If all we get are the sound-byte blurbs from our own propaganda machines, we call hardly call ourselves educated or informed. We're not at our best right now. If that makes you mad, or embarassed (as it should), then we need to do better. I still believe we can.

swordfishME

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
I am an American living in the Middle East and have some really stong opnions on the subject. Over the years, I have come to realize that hatred for America that exsists in the Middle East is unfortunately, well earned.

MEATPACKIBUBBA, it is people like you that contribute to the preception of American in the rest of the world. Everyone on this board is free to express his or her own opnion, REGARDLESS of what it might be if they do so in a civil manner. You have CROSSED THAT LINE.

kalipygian

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
W. is the biggest embarrassment to this country in my lifetime. Friends of mine have been ashamed to go abroad since he has been in office, others have said they were Canadian. Listening to him is like being tortured, I wish I had a radio that would automatically mute when he comes on. (as bad as it is listening to him speak english, hearing him try to speak spanish is worse) If he really believed in democracy, he would have conceded the 2000 election to the person who got the most votes. (The country has gotten so reactionary, it's returned to having a hereditary head of state)

I get most of my news listening to National Public Radio, they are excellent, and have BBC twice daily, as well as once a week also RTE, Radio Deutsche Welle, Radio Nederland, many countries around the world in rotation. I think the commercial news sources in the US are mostly worthless. I would be glad to have more CBC (do they still do the royal canadian air farce?) It is strange how little news of Canada there is reported in the US, and generally how ignorant people are. Curious how there is much more news of Britain, Japan, many countries get a lot more coverage.There is some here in Alaska by the Alaska Public Radio Network. It's also surprising how much US news is reported in Canada.

I agree that the tune and words of the US anthem are the worst of any I have heard. It was origonally 'Anacreon in heaven' an 18th century english drinking song. (Anacreon was a classical greek poet who wrote of getting drunk and loving boys)

Knockernail

1st Like
Media
I am an American living in the Middle East and have some really stong opnions on the subject. Over the years, I have come to realize that hatred for America that exsists in the Middle East is unfortunately, well earned.

MEATPACKIBUBBA, it is people like you that contribute to the preception of American in the rest of the world. Everyone on this board is free to express his or her own opnion, REGARDLESS of what it might be if they do so in a civil manner. You have CROSSED THAT LINE.

I totally agree. But it´s true that we all should be carefull of our opinions. Truth or freedom never might be an excuse to offend.

Now, i´m not sure of wich sense this thread has. The image of USA or european thoughts about USA foreign policy.

Anyway, i agree with Ital8. We must work together.

blackbottom2

Expert Member
Media
Iraqi Children
var now = new Date();document.write('');
you wanted a villain
so you got him
you wanted to create a monster
so you did
life is not a Hollywood movie
and the desert was not a backdrop
of a studio

Armed forces were not the extras
(They are now suffering from the desert storm syndrome)
there were no props and cuts
Baghdad was not a movie set
Where the real bombs were dropped
Did you ever go back to see if the splinter
Of bomb had licked the life of a civilian
or a child.
what do you care you just wanted to show
your military superiority
so you did.

A little country smaller than your toe has
Kicked you so hard that you have to invite the whole world To attack her.

Was it an experiment of a new weapon?

Baghdad is a not laboratory. Baghdad is a history.
The economic embargo is the biggest racist notion.
I have ever seen in the modern history.
Iraqi children are drinking milk and eating food
Laced with your arsenic.
You have sown a crop of hatred and I am afraid
When it is going to be the harvest time.

a poem by ifti naseem and it reflects my feelings at the minute

blackbottom2

Expert Member
Media
ITAL8 Your own words mate

"If you look at Europe you will notice that there are many radical muslims (keep in mind I don't have anything against the Islamic faith-only the fundamentalists) that are pouring their way into politics. Look at the Madrid bombing, London attacks, and the Paris riots. But yet, European politicians refuse to see any threat. Europe prides itself on equality and tolerance. That's great!!! But it almost becomes to the point where political correctness becomes so pervasive, that more harm than good will be done"

Stinks of the propoganda that hitler used in the second world war- "i dont have anything against judaism but i just dont want them in my or neighbouring countries "

I will say it again i object to your unqualified religous hatred statements

ital8

Experimental Member
Media
Blackbottom-I'm still confused as to how you perceive my comments as hateful. I clearly stated that I do not have anything against the Islamic faith. I even commented in another post that I have a Muslim friend. I have no problems with Muslims living next door to me, that also holds true for Christians, Jews, or any other faiths. My point was, fundamentalists (those who are willing to cause harm towards others) are a threat to society. But I have a feeling no matter how hard I press upon this issue you will see it your own way. You're entitled to your opinion, but I am going to make it clear that I do not hold unqualified religious hatred. That's a strong accusation to make.