Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
So recently I started taking some medication to help my anxiety issues (effexor). And for the most part it has been great, but I have noticed a pretty significant issue in the quality of my erections.

Recently, it has been much harder to get fully erect and even harder to stay that way for any amount of time. I end up sitting around with a semi instead of my normal fully hard erection.

Initially, I thought this was a side effect of the adjustment period but as its been almost two weeks and my erections have still not fully returned to normal, I’m starting to become concerned.

If anyone has experience with this or words of wisdom, I would appreciate it! You’ve all been so supportive here and I love the energy. I just want to get back to showing off my dick as easily as possible lol

iluvmen

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
First of all, talk to your doctor about this.
Secondly, it's about what you need first. Do you want to feel sane and calm with no erections and sex, or do you want to get hard, have sex and cum while you feel anxious and depressed most of the time?

I know it's very difficult to choose. I am in my mid 30s. And I've been there three times in my life. First time, when I was 18, secondly when I was 25 and third time, very recently.

I was on Anafranil for 2 years. When I was at the peak dosage for a period of 5 months, I neither got erect nor came. I was basically a eunuch LOL When we started lowering the dosage, I tried very hard to get erect, but I did! And I came like a fountain. Imagine...It was 5 month's worth of cum. It was so thick and heavy that I did not shoot. It literally oozed out of my penis for like 5,6 minutes. And when the ejaculation was over, I was still feeling full.

The second time, I was on Effexor, similarly on a high dosage. I did not cum for a while again. When we started lowering the dosage I could get hard and cum. But still, the erection quality was bad.

And third round with antidepressants took place this year when I started having strong panic attacks after catching Covid-19. I tried to cope with the frequent and strong panic attacks by myself. But I could not. I started taking Cipram. I've been on Cipram (20 mg) for six months. No erections no libido again.. Btw, my libido was already low when I got Covid. I was having erection issues. So I am not sure this low libido and erectile dysfunction was solely the work of Cipram or the effect of both combined. Bcoz I had long Covid. It took me three months to get back to my pre-Covid health. I started lowering the dosage two weeks ago. Still , I cannot get hard by myself. I have to touch my penis and make it erect. Erection quality is 8/10. I can cum again. I'm gonna cut off Cipram completely in a week or two and see what happens.

D

deleted817718

My wife has been on sertraline for a long time and escitalopram now for a couple of years and has not had a sex drive for a long long time. She actually likes not having sex as a stress and anxiety in her life now and viewers it less as a side effect and more as something that has helped her feel more herself and happier. And this is something, to my own detriment, I have come to support (we now have a non-sexual relationship).

Myself, I have been on escitalopram for a year in the past. Week one I found I could get hard but could not ejaculate. Week two I couldn’t ejaculate and couldn’t get hard. After one month my sex drive went and neither things mattered. My sex drive came back after a month fully off the meds after weaning myself off of them

iluvmen

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
My wife has been on sertraline for a long time and escitalopram now for a couple of years and has not had a sex drive for a long long time. She actually likes not having sex as a stress and anxiety in her life now and viewers it less as a side effect and more as something that has helped her feel more herself and happier. And this is something, to my own detriment, I have come to support (we now have a non-sexual relationship).

Myself, I have been on escitalopram for a year in the past. Week one I found I could get hard but could not ejaculate. Week two I couldn’t ejaculate and couldn’t get hard. After one month my sex drive went and neither things mattered. My sex drive came back after a month fully off the meds after weaning myself off of them
It's a strange feeling. Makes you feel like an angel LOL
You can focus on everything in your life except sex.
You use your penis just to pee.

May I ask your age while you were on Escitalopram? And the dosage?

Reactions: deleted817718
D

deleted817718

It's a strange feeling. Makes you feel like an angel LOL
You can focus on everything in your life except sex.
You use your penis just to pee.

May I ask your age while you were on Escitalopram? And the dosage?
Thanks for your reply.
I was 36 and on a fairly low dosage, but I am pretty sensitive to meds and this pretty much did as you said, left my penis with one function peeing, and no urge to do anything else with it. It’s an odd feeling having no interest in sex or any sexual thoughts or feelings.
My wife loves how that feels. It calms her anxiety

Newpumper

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I started bupropion xl about a month ago, 2 150 mg tabs a day. I’ve been having erection issues too…it’s been much more difficult for me to get hard or cum… I’m not sure if it’s the meds or just life. I definitely feel calmer, but maybe too calm to get excited…. Thoughts?

WilliamG

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Cammer
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Boy, it's as if we need a whole section for us folks on the anxiety meds! I'm no expert here but...

I've been on 10mg escitalopram for over 10 years. I've been fine with erections and sex in general. But my psych Dr. increased it to 15mg about 2 months ago due to increased anxiety issues (long story). I still get erections but it requires a bit of stimulation either visually and or manually. Something I didn't need before. I think it's slowly improving though.

These things take time to work thru our system for sure. So for anyone with concerns, I'd give the protocol at least 3 months to see thru it.

iluvmen

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Boy, it's as if we need a whole section for us folks on the anxiety meds! I'm no expert here but...

I've been on 10mg escitalopram for over 10 years. I've been fine with erections and sex in general. But my psych Dr. increased it to 15mg about 2 months ago due to increased anxiety issues (long story). I still get erections but it requires a bit of stimulation either visually and or manually. Something I didn't need before. I think it's slowly improving though.

These things take time to work thru our system for sure. So for anyone with concerns, I'd give the protocol at least 3 months to see thru it.
I've been on citalopram since the end of January (20 mg). I first lowered the dosage to 10 mg for 10 days at the beginning of August. And now I'm gonna take another 5 mg for 10 days before completely cutting off.

Similar to your experience, in the last 6 months, I needed to stimulate myself manually in order to get erect. This is something I never experienced whole my life. And the erection quality was not very good. Plus, my cumshots were very slow and not that far-reaching.

I'm tapering off slowly in the last two weeks, my erection quality is better. My dick gets harder. But I still need to manually stimulate my penis :( I hope this will get better, too. I've seen some men's comments on the internet that they went back to normal after a month without pills. I guess it takes time for those chemicals to leave your metabolism.

WilliamG

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Cammer
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
I've been on citalopram since the end of January (20 mg). I first lowered the dosage to 10 mg for 10 days at the beginning of August. And now I'm gonna take another 5 mg for 10 days before completely cutting off.

Similar to your experience, in the last 6 months, I needed to stimulate myself manually in order to get erect. This is something I never experienced whole my life. And the erection quality was not very good. Plus, my cumshots were very slow and not that far-reaching.

I'm tapering off slowly in the last two weeks, my erection quality is better. My dick gets harder. But I still need to manually stimulate my penis :( I hope this will get better, too. I've seen some men's comments on the internet that they went back to normal after a month without pills. I guess it takes time for those chemicals to leave your metabolism.
From what my doctor has told me, the vast majority return to full function. But the real issue is why we started on the meds. Yes, you will get your erection back. But how are you dealing with the other issues. For me, I tried weening off at the beginning of the year. But I had some anxiety issues reemerge. So for me I'm giving it a bit more time at this increased dose as I'm at a better place with handling stress. And finally as others have pointed out, there are other meds that are less impactful on ones erection that may offer the same relief. I'm not there yet but keeping a log for my reference.

iluvmen

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
From what my doctor has told me, the vast majority return to full function. But the real issue is why we started on the meds. Yes, you will get your erection back. But how are you dealing with the other issues. For me, I tried weening off at the beginning of the year. But I had some anxiety issues reemerge. So for me I'm giving it a bit more time at this increased dose as I'm at a better place with handling stress. And finally as others have pointed out, there are other meds that are less impactful on ones erection that may offer the same relief. I'm not there yet but keeping a log for my reference.
To deal with anxiety;

I'm going for long walks, keeping myself busy, doing lots of sports (5 days a week), getting lots of sunshine, eating well and not overconsuming coffee. These work really well.

Also, you need a few friends whom you can talk to.

WilliamG

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Cammer
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
To deal with anxiety;

I'm going for long walks, keeping myself busy, doing lots of sports (5 days a week), getting lots of sunshine, eating well and not overconsuming coffee. These work really well.

Also, you need a few friends whom you can talk to.
Yes. I'm a big fan of walks! And mt bike rides! Also the light gym workouts 4-5 days per week (which I usually walk the one mile). Stopped all caffeine use over a year ago (2 cups of decaf max). Also went from vegetarian to full vegan. Zero processed food. Only cook at home. One or two alcoholic drinks per week. It was a slow migration to this lifestyle. But finding a 30% blockage in my heart was a wakeup call.

The biggest reduction in stress though came after I retired at 62. I was working stressed out 60+ hrs per week (no other options in my industry). Oddly, I had a couple serious panic attacks AFTER I was laid off in 2020. Was not sure we were financially ready. This introduced new stress. But we worked thru it and came out realizing we could get thru this by cutting our consumption. And luckily that led me down the road of only cooking healthy prepared food at home (none of those "ready made" vegan foods).

I also talk about my anxiety issue with others that in the past I would have hid it from. Turns out a few of them can REALLY relate!

Reactions: deleted17938181

Stephenmass

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
I'd call your doctor and describe what you described here. Antidepressants are known to do this and sometimes it's just finding the right one that won't. Follow your doctor's lead.

Reactions: deleted17938181

Stephenmass

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
I should add I was on Celexa for a bit and while I could maintain myself mostly hard, I could go and go and not cum. Now to some that may sound great, but not getting that release can be really frustrating!