Anti-War on the Web

D_Martin van Burden

Account Disabled
Media
Hey folks,

I need a favor. During the break I'm having in between restaurant shifts, I'm searching the Web for some anti-war / protest information so that I can build a huge compilation of sources. So far, I have four websites listed on [link=http://dee-heretic.diaryland.com/antiwar.html]my anti-war page[/link], but I could use many, many more!

If you guys don't care or have something to contribute, please [link=mailto:deeblackthorne@hotmail.com?subject=Anti War]e-mail me[/link] or send a private message. I'd really appreciate it!

tott666: As far as I know, there was no immediate threat.

It infuriates me that a war can be started because of a possible threat; to my knowledge it's never been proven that a real link exists between Irak and Al-Quaida (sp?)... The US is violating international laws/conventions by their acts of war.

Unless there are secret investigations/knowledges we don't know about, in which case they should have been made public...

Finedessert: "As far as I know, there was no immediate threat."

That may be true, but think about this for a minute.

In the 1930's Hitler wasn't a threat to the USA either, we were sending scrap metal to Japan only to be return to the USA in the form of bombs, and also used in the build-up of their Military.

After WW1 by agreement, Germany wasn't allowed to have an Army, it wasn't until Hitler became the head honcho did we see this madman pour Billions into weapons and build his Military into a first class fighting force. He broke any and all agreements he made with Russia and England. He was responceable for millions being put to death in gas chambers.

Saddam Hussein was/is following the same path that Hitler did. In 1991 he agree to destroy his WMD only to continue building them, even as the UN Inspectors were in Iraq.

The people of Iraq, and even his own Military Leaders live in fear of this man. He gasses his people ( Men-Women-Babies) kills his own son-in-laws, anyone who disagrees with him ends up a dead man.

Would you want this man as Next Door Neighbor?

Grandpa

jonb

Sexy Member
Media
"In the 1930's Hitler wasn't a threat to the USA either, we were sending scrap metal to Japan only to be return to the USA in the form of bombs, and also used in the build-up of their Military."

Oh, and Hitler wasn't violating international law when he invaded Poland?

Pecker

Retired Moderator
Media
The J. Cruelty Catalog:

Anti-War Issue

------------------------------------------------------------------------
HOW TO MOBILIZE TO STOP THE WAR WITH IRAQ

1. Hold a protest in the middle of the day, when most people are still at work.

2. Be sure to yell at people. That will really win them over.

3. Hold up signs that have nothing to do with the war and are totally inappropriate for the occasion (e.g., “Free the Jarvic 7” or “legalize heroin”). Encourage others to do likewise.

No political rally is ever complete unless you have a big biker dude standing front and center waving a giant marijuana leaf flag that says “Pot smokers for peace”.

4. Invite members of tiny Maoist splinter-groups to be a part of the anti-war coalition. Ask them if they would be so kind as to handle all of the arrangements for setting up the P.A. system or bringing the only megaphone. Allow one of them to act as Master of Ceremonies.

5. Don’t bathe. Nothing impresses people more than a group of sweaty punks and transients who haven’t bathed in weeks.

If this fails, you can always threaten to bring the Promise Keepers back to town.

6. Entertain the crowd with watered-down World Beat music or a faux-Latin band. (“This song goes out to all the Zapatistas!”) We’re so multi-cultural that it hurts. Except that we are white.

7. Don’t talk to reporters. The last thing we want for our protest is publicity.

8. Complain that the corporate media isn’t covering the protest. Complain that the protesters have received nothing but negative attention.

9. If you DO find yourself being interviewed by reporters, be sure to talk about “complex systems of oppression”. Quote Noam Chomsky. Watch their eyes begin to glaze over. You have them in your power!

Or just stutter a lot and mumble about how you’re “against the war ‘cause, I’m, like, totally against Bush, and, like, going to war and stuff…” This is easier to edit into a sound bite.

10. It goes without saying that all of your chants should be modified versions of slogans first adopted during the Viet Nam war.

11. Try to find a word that rhymes with “Baghdad”.

12. Change the direction of the parade route, and head for the nearest police station or the Federal Building. The police won't be expecting that.

13. When all else fails, offer to sell people a newspaper. The undercover cops might even give you some beer money.

copyright 2002

Pecker

B_DoubleMeatWhopper

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
[quote author=jonb link=board=99;num=1048195651;start=0#3 date=03/20/03 at 17:39:03]In the 1930's Hitler wasn't a threat to the USA either[/quote]

That's true, but it's also true that the USA's reason for entering the war actually had nothing to do with Hitler. If the European threat had been the only factor, the US would never have entered the war.
What has been found out rather recently is that the planned attack on Pearl Harbor was known in more than sufficient time to evacuate all miltary personnel and civilians, but Sir Winston Churchill advised the Pentagon to 'sacrifice' Pearl Harbor in order to give the US a reason to enter the war. Yep. An English prime minister advising American politicians to let their own citizens be killed without warning to serve as an excuse to enter the war.
And now George W. is threatening Iraqis, saying that war criminals will be prosecuted. Really? Where? They can't be prosecuted in the US. The International Commission of Jurists has already said that any attack on Iraq without Peace Council backing is illegal, so the World Court in Geneva won't touch it. Prosecuted by a hypothetical 'new régime' in Iraq? I would hold my breath.
Maybe this topic does belong on LPSG; we're seeing a Big Dick Contest held on an international scale. :(

BIGBOYDAVE: Hitler invades other countries without there provication Because HE though He Was Defending the HOMELAND
Ring A bell!

mindseye: Well, since someone else brought up Hitler:

A World War ended in 1918; a second one started just 21 years later. Following the second war, the UN was established to help preserve global peace.

Since then, there have been local conflicts -- Korea, Vietnam, the Falkland Islands, the Gulf War -- but none of them have escalated into World War III. I credit the UN for having an instrumental role in keeping our world safe for the past 50+ years.

I think blatantly disregarding its global wisdom -- even when we think it's misinformed and wrong -- is dangerously shortsighted.

balls: [quote author=BIGBOYDAVE link=board=99;num=1048195651;start=0#6 date=03/20/03 at 20:43:28]Hitler invades other countries without there provication  Because HE though He Was Defending the HOMELAND
Ring A bell![/quote]
Yea, it sounds a lot like the reasons Uncle Joe Stalin gave when he decided to hold on to Eastern Europe.

jonb

Sexy Member
Media
Actually, Finedessert wrote that about Hitler not being a threat. I wrote "Oh, and wasn't Hitler also violating international law when he invaded Poland?"

These piggy-back follow-ups get confusing.

jonb

Sexy Member
Media
[quote author=balls link=board=99;num=1048195651;start=0#8 date=03/21/03 at 08:56:16]
Yea, it sounds a lot like the reasons Uncle Joe Stalin gave when he decided to hold on to Eastern Europe.[/quote]

Hitler, Stalin...They're all the same. But Americans are especially good at genocide, and later denial of it. Hell, Hitler got his ideas from them:

"Neither Spain nor Britain should be models of German expansion, but the Nordics of North America, who had ruthlessly pushed aside an inferior race to win for themselves soil and territory for the future."
-Adolf Hitler

Quite telling that the US waited until 1989 to sign the Genocide Act of 1946, enit?

balls: Being especially good at genocide is not exclusive to Americans. In fact, Native Americans practiced genocide and slavery long before the colonies were established. Think of the Sioux, Navajo and Apache nations. Then we can look at Africa and the many tribes that have practice genocide, most recently in Rwanda. They appear to be especially good at it too.
It is probably just an ugly element of human nature.

aussiechick63: Everyone here is discussing Saddam Hussein and Iraq and relating back to ww2. Ww2 was a different time, I personally think war is a far greater threat to our and our families lives now than it was then. As far as I can see I think there is a greater threat that hasn't even been touched on. I think we should fear North Korea more at this point. They have the nuclear weapon power now to blow us away. They back Iraq to the hilt. They think the attack on Iraq is wrong. I fear we may very well be looking to the wrong enemy.
I don't think we should let our guard down as far as North Korea is concerned for a moment.
Maybe that is just an irrational fear I have, but I passionately believe it.

I feel such sadness for all people that have so far lost someone they love in this conflict and hope for all our sakes that it is over as quickly as possible.

I fear not for myself, but for my children and their future.

jonb

Sexy Member
Media
[quote author=balls link=board=99;num=1048195651;start=0#11 date=03/21/03 at 11:29:28]Being especially good at genocide is not exclusive to Americans. In fact, Native Americans practiced genocide and slavery long before the colonies were established. Think of the Sioux, Navajo and Apache nations.   Then we can look at Africa and the many tribes that have practice genocide, most recently in Rwanda.  They appear to be especially good at it too.
It is probably just an ugly element of human nature.
[/quote]

And you have evidence that the Sioux practiced genocide, where? Fact is, Americans were the first to attempt the complete annihilation of an enemy.

BIGBOYDAVE: [quote author=balls It is probably just an ugly element of human nature.
[/quote]
so this is being said to Justify todays War When Will We Ever Learn

jay_too

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
six weeks ago when i began to protest the march to war, it was cold and rainy. those turning out were the young and maybe 25 to 30 percent in thier 60's and 70's. it was a thankless task. we were ignored by most of our fellow citizens....those who did notice tended to be intent on either intimidating or stirring up trouble and getting some of us arrested.

when i saw this big guy (probably 250 and maybe 6'2") shouting at my little grandmother (maybe 5'2" and 100) i moved over just in case. not that i was really concerned since on any day she can probably whip any two on this board at the same time. she has been doing some form of martial arts since the 1960's a couple of times a week. I guess he was really feeling good venting his disgust and anger until my other grandmother arrived and said, "john, when you get through shouting at my grandson's grandmother i need to get her in some dry clothes and fed." he continued shouting at grandmother No. 1 for maybe 15 seconds until he realized he was interupted by his boss's wife...that look of complete disaster on his face was worth a couple of hours being cold and wet.

while i am sure that mr. baggins is correct that anti-war demonstrators need instruction on the proper hygiene and demeanor, i do hope that he adds another chapter for the pro-war crowd to his tome, Ask Mr. Baggins, on rules for intimidation and verbal abuse.

i will not join the protests physically until the fighting stops. this is out of respect to those who have family and friends in harm's way or have suffered a loss. however, my belief that this is the wrong war and the wrong time is stronger. this afternoon on cnn i saw and heard the soundbite of the young lady who said that she supported the war because she believed like her church that God put george bush at the head of this country. to paraphrase the great american philospher, yoga bera, "it is deja vu or the divine right of kings all over again."

in the past week, newsweek and business week have had thought provoking articles on how the bush white house reached their decision. it is a scary path that we may be going down....next target? iran. i think everyone should read about the junking of the united nations (didn't someone named adolph junk the league of nations?).

and yeah, i admit to being liberal. my parents tried to raise their sons to be generous, tolerant, and broadminded; moreover, they taught us to believe that we should support social and economic progress for all. equally important to them was that we should listen without rancor to opposing views and remember to be civil and non-threatening in our responses.

jay

ftmadison: Nuke 'em and get it over with ...No I am not kidding. How can any reasonably intelligent person say that a war on Iraq is not justified !? Jesus C ..... The "man" is a crazy dictator - just like Hitler some 60 years ago. Back then it was almost the same as now ..... nobody really cared until they got their own asses kicked. Wake up and be realistic !!! :mad:

BIGBOYDAVE: [quote author=ftmadison link=board=99;num=1048195651;start=15#16 date=03/24/03 at 08:38:29]Nuke 'em and get it over with ...No I am not kidding. How can any reasonably intelligent person say that a war on Iraq is not justified !? Jesus C ..... The "man" is a crazy dictator - just like Hitler some 60 years ago. Back then it was almost the same as now ..... nobody really cared until they got their own asses kicked. Wake up and be realistic !!! :mad:[/quote]

It Must Be nice to be YOUNG ANGRY AND STUPID Because after reading this and all your other posts you need to Wake up and be realistic !!! to really want to see Nukes used is just that. To be in agreement with war that is fine to disagree with war that to is fine but to ask for your government to use weapons of mass destruction on innocent people that is JUST Plain outright Stupidity. I might not agree with war but I don't condone genocide. You have yet to see brothers sisters and friends go off to war and either not come back or return mentally and physically scared for the rest of there lives. I believe you when you say you are not kidding. I have talked to many young people your age including Marrines who are now on the Battlefields in Iraq. They too fealt like you before they left but I guarentee they will be a lot more mature and thinking differently if and when they return. I pray they return Safe and well. I fear for there safety. They are good young people following well the orders of there government, thats there chosen job. I only wish they never had to go. I'm sure verry few of those fighting over there would agree with you to NUKE the enemy, as good soldiers they would not want it as they know the end results. You obviously don't.

mindseye: [quote author=ftmadison link=board=99;num=1048195651;start=15#16 date=03/24/03 at 08:38:29]How can any reasonably intelligent person say that a war on Iraq is not justified !? [/quote]

Why not ask the three permanent chairs on the UN Security Council who said just that?

balls: [quote author=jonb link=board=99;num=1048195651;start=0#13 date=03/21/03 at 15:07:11]

And you have evidence that the Sioux practiced genocide, where? Fact is, Americans were the first to attempt the complete annihilation of an enemy.[/quote]
The Crow and Pawnee were victims of Sioux unilateral aggression.