Antiques Road Show Can't Top This

A guy walks into a Swiss art dealer's gallery and admires a painting of a maiden done some time in the 19th century in Germany. He likes it enough to buy it for $19,000.

The guy who buys it has some doubts. To him it doesn't look 19th century at all. It looks older and he begins to wonder just where it came from. So he sends it to a forensic art historian to get it tested. Modern science can peg a fake fairly easily using everything from electron microscopy to X-rays to carbon-14. So the art historian begins his work and then he notices a finger print set in the paint itself. This isn't unusual. Artists frequently smudge and blend with their fingers and lucky for the historian, this fingerprint is very clear. So he looks for known matches among many hundreds of paintings done by everyone from unknown art students to great masters.

He finds a match.

The match is so unlikely that he has other forensic art experts look at his results. They agree with him. The painting isn't 19th century and it isn't German.

It's Italian. 15th century Italian.

The fingerprint is that of Leonardo da Vinci.

This forgotten 19th century German knock-off is now, officially, priceless. Estimates on its value begin at $150,000,000 but really, if it went to auction, it would be a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity and every billionaire on earth with any interest in art would likely send its price far higher. There are no known da Vinci paintings in private hands. There are books and drawings, a few rough studies, but no finished paintings. This is it: The holy grail of the art world: a lost da Vinci, in private hands.

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Who buys and sells paintings worth $19,000 with no providence? Do you have a link to this story? I'd like to read more. Fantasic

B_Stronzo

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I read this story Jason somewhere about a week ago. It's just wonderful that (as Antiques Road Show illustrates) that there's much yet to be found.

Recall the story of the woman who bought a Thomas Seymour card table at a yard sale for twenty-five bucks which subsequently sold for well over half a million dollars at auction.

Vince said:
Who buys and sells paintings worth $19,000 with no providence?

I have because my eye is good. To those who know high end antiques this is like "the hunt". It's a tremendous vocation and filled with highs and lows. I once located a Samuel McIntire mantel for $300.00 and sold it the same day for just shy of twenty thousand to a dealer. I heard through the grapevine that dealer doubled that sum that same week.

HERE is the link on the story Vince.

** the word Vince is properly "provenance". Just an FYI.

Bucko said:
How do you store and insure such a thing?

You've hit on one of the down sides of this business.

One must select carefully the things (material) he insures but insure them he must and it's very costly.

Last edited:

NCbear

Superior Member
Media
Greensboro (North Carolina, United States)
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
When will all my favorite childhood books that I've "rescued" from my parents' old house become this valuable??

Damn. What a story!

NCbear (who's ever so slightly jealous of this buyer's perspicacity--even if it was unintended :tongue:)