Anxiety about Sex

D_2534tr

Account Disabled
Media
Hello to all.

30 year old here. Been browsing forums for a couple months, but first post. I have some thoughts I need to get out there. I'll try not to be long-winded, but I have a lot to say, and I apologize in advance if my thoughts are unorganized.

I've been in a relationship for 7 years. For the first couple years, sex was great and not uncommon, but then began to become less fun and less frequent...which isn't out of the ordinary, I know. Around this time, my boyfriend suggested for us to try an open relationship. I was reluctant at first, but I figured we'd give it a try. We decided that playing together with other guys would be ideal, but playing separately would also be ok from time to time, taking into consideration that each of "our types" are pretty different, so that mutual attractiveness toward potential playmates may not always be there.

We had a few threesomes and maybe a group session or two, and through our fun, we developed two regular playmates who also became good friends. I hooked up independently only once during this period of time. He did so more often, although I'm unable to say with certainty exactly how much or with how many people. At one point during this time, we unfortunately acquired a case of pubic lice. This was disgusting and I was extremely grossed out by it, but we promptly took care of the problem and got past it. Not really a big deal, but not fun to deal with either.

Around this same time, I started a new job and went back to college full-time, which in turn would leave me with less free-time and homework, of course. I became less interested in sex as I was focused on work and school. We were not having sex with each other very much at all. He was really trying to get me involved in some threesomes and groups, hoping that it would spark my interest. However, like I stated earlier, the people he wanted to get together with weren't necessarily anyone I'd sleep with (everyone has their likes and dislikes as far as physical attraction) and vice-versa, so I didn't really participate. I even tried to overcome the fact that I wasn't attracted to some of these people, but it really didn't work out, and I since I wasn't starved for sex or urging to have it, I just let it be and let him have his fun. We'd still have sex once in a while, and that was enough for me.

It is appropriate now to mention the fact that when my boyfriend and I had sex, we did not use protection. We did promise to each other that when with others, we would always be safe, no exceptions. I should have questioned his follow through with this promise when I went to the doctor and was diagnosed with gonorrhea. (Keep in mind, I only hooked up once without him, and that was 2 years prior to this event.) I again felt disgusted, but of course got it taken care of and tried not to let it bother me. Almost a year later, I again had to go to the doctor for some kind of issue. This time it was chlamydia. It sure is strange that I'm getting these diseases when I am only sleeping with my boyfriend, and it is only once every few weeks, if that, maybe not even once a month. I had other stuff going on in my life, so I again tried to shrug it off.

At this time, my boyfriend expressed his concerns about us barely ever having sex, and how we could be together if I was so disinterested in it. I was still working full-time and still going to school full-time, so those were my priorities. Also, after having 2 STDs and crabs, I kinda felt grossed out by sex. We went on this way, barely ever having sex, but he was hooking-up on the side. The way I figured, if he could satisfy his urges elsewhere, less for me to deal with. Pathetic reasoning, I know, but that's how it was. The next year we maybe had sex 3 times.

So this brings us to a year and a half ago. He wasn't feeling well for several weeks and had some weird stuff going on. He went to the doctor and was diagnosed with syphilis. His doctor told him to tell any of his sexual partners about this so they could get checked out, so of course I went to the doctor. You got it, I had it too, but mine was just developing, as I had none of the symptoms that he had. I though, fuck another STD and I've had sex literally 3 times within the past year. OK, I went through the treatment and all was good...or so I thought. A few weeks later, he went back to the doctor for a check-up and had blood work done. A week later, the doctor called him in to tell him that he is HIV+.

Obviously, he told me right away and I was worried and scared and sad, and a gamut of emotions went through me. I immediately got tested and was negative...good news for me, but this was going to be difficult. We already were practically not having sex when this happened, so nothing really changed there, but the first time we did after the diagnosis, I was so scared. I pretty much had a panic attack because I was so nervous about being safe. This happened a few times while trying to have sex and he became frustrated with me. He called me selfish. It was literally giving me panic attacks to think about sex, yet I'm selfish. Our relationship was the lowest it had ever been and there didn't seem to be much hope.

Since he has been positive, we have had sex 4 times. Yeah we've jacked off together, but that is different. I didn't enjoy the sex any of these 4 times, as my anxiety level was so high. After each of the 4 times, I went and got tested because I couldn't focus until I had done so.

Now, he still goes out and hooks up with people. A lot of them are regular hook-ups I believe, and they may or may not be positive. I sometimes want to have sex, and I've met several guys online that I think I want to get together with to satisfy my urge, but I always get so anxious before meeting up, that it always falls through.

I'll add here that my boyfriend is 8 years older than me...which has never been a problem for either of us. However, it should be noted that during his 20's he was single and had fun, slept around, hooked-up, stuff that most people experience in their 20's. I never did any of that, and don't have all the sex experience that he has. I wasn't a virgin when we started dating, but I could count all of my sexual partners on one hand.

So after all of this comes my question....will I ever be able to enjoy sex again? Either with my boyfriend or with anyone else? Often times, just the anticipation of possibly having sex is enough to set off anxiety. And I don't get anxious about other things in my life, so that isn't the issue. I'm only 30 and should still be in my sexual prime, but I can't get past the anxiety and panic attacks when it comes to sex.

Sorry this was such a long post, but does anyone have any advice or any words for me? I really needed to get this out as I have no one that I can talk about it with. All of my closest friends are also his friends, and he hasn't revealed his status to them. This is fine as it is his choice, but it makes the conversation a bit different if I were asking my friends for advice...so I haven't.

Thanks for reading.

Stephenmass

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
Dump the b/f. Not because he is HIV+; dump him because he is a liar. To be honest I did read your entire post and after awhile it sounded like the two of you were roommates rather than partners. I don't think you will EVER be comfortable with him again, and frankly neither would I if I were in your shoes. It's time to move on; you both are obviously on very different wavelengths.

B_Nick8

Cherished Member
Media
New York City, by way of Marblehead, Boston and Ge
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
I have to agree with Stephen. Your bf hasn't abided with even the most basic premiss of your "open" relationship: to play safe, and even now he's calling you selfish when your continuing and ever-growing disgust with the idea of having sex with him due to the possibility of being exposed to disease (much less crabs) comes into play. It seems clear that whatever love once existed between you has gone. It's time to move on.

lottie

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Are you not in contact with a counsellor from one of the many clinics you had to attend? Sounds like you need to talk things through with someone, because if you were able to just up and leave, it would have happened a long time ago.

Stephenmass

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
lottie, I never said it would be easy to do. These two have a long history together. Going back to "single" can be overwhelming. I only hope that he realizes that he is pretty much single now.

rbkwp

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Sorry to read of your circumstances
Seems his sexual needs have been far stronger than yours most of the time huh?
Sounds like you have been a most considerate and perhaps overly obliging partner,to his needs
Tough as it may be seems you may well need to look after yourself' from now
Just how i feel re your Circumstances, and his behaviour.
All condoned by yourself, but still you do have the choice of making a decision thats best for you, and frees him up
Am forgetting about his HIV status, its what can happen when precautions are not taken in earnest, and keep in mind your fear of the other STDs compared to this, you have to be aware that continuing on will only lead to more stress for yourself, and possible Health deterioation, you will be of no use to him and his condition, let alone yourself huh?
Best matey, and sorry again, re such a Major drama!

Phil Ayesho

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Read your story with steadily increasing alarm and incredulity.

What the fuck are you doing with this guy?

Why the hell didn't you wake up and recognize that there are REASONS why the idea of sexual fidelity even came about?

HIV transmission in Africa and certain other countries is many times the rate in the US... Know why? Because in those cultures, multiple concurrent sexual partners are the Norm... and having even one "mistress" on the side, regularly, exponentially increases the opportunities and pathways for infection.

This guy puts his dick and his pleasure first... well before any consideration of his own welfare, and way way way before any consideration of anyone else's welfare.
Guys like him are Why HIV became the gay plague it did.

Do not have sex with him.. get the fuck out of this toxic relationship.
And cross your fingers and hope to hell that you don't come up positive within the next year.

Its not a matter of not caring for him... its the perfect regularity with which he demonstrates that he doesn't care for you; For your health, and your sexual comfort.

Christ! How stupid can people be to play russian roulette with their health over something as transitory and minor as a sexual kick?

Dump him, and when he tries to guilt you over you dumping because he's positive...
tell him that its because YOUR positive that he's a self centered, ignorant, and dangerous fuck.

SR_Blarney_Frank

Experimental Member
Media
Step one is to move on from this guy. Your issue is not sex - it's intimacy - and moving straight to an 'open' relationship the minute this issue arose was not the best move. In the end it has left you feeling grossed out (rightfully) by a guy whose motivation seems to be in finding something in which he can stick his dick (and not in resolving the issues in your relationship).

Anyway, find someone with whom you have a comfort level who cares about how you feel and is willing to set aside instant gratification for a long and lasting relationship. You'll get it back - just not with this guy.

b1gm3

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
First off, all you've really listed are the negatives about your situation. I think you know that everyone's going to say the same thing that you need to leave him because of the lies he's told you and the way things have transpired.

I'm more curious as to why you've decided to stay with him through all of this? What does he offer you that you don't see yourself having with someone else? You don't share that intimacy and trust (it seems) that a healthy relationship should have. You're young, 30, and I'm sure there are better out there for you. Long term relationships are hard to end but I'd worry more for your health in the long run. Maybe it's time to end the relationship with him, but still remain friends. Sounds like he's going to need the support one day...unless he could give two shits since he's still sleeping around being HIV+

Phil Ayesho

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Obviously he cares for this guy...

and the situations 'evolved' over years, step by step.

its amazing how we can wake up one day and realize how far we have come beyond the person we really are, the territory we meant to inhabit, because each concession asked of us seems, in isolation, so small....
but they add up..
one step at a time, until we look up and suddenly realize were are miles away from where we wanted to be.

billybones

Superior Member
Media
I stopped reading after I got to the term 'open relationship'.

I consider these to be contradictory concepts. I became more certain after I scrolled down and saw that others had kept reading and now HIV is involved.

D

deleted15807

Why do you have sex with someone you can't trust? Don't you believe you deserve better?

D_2534tr

Account Disabled
Media
To those of you who read my post, thanks for reading. Like I said, I haven't spoken to anyone about all of this, and I didn't intend for it to be a "bash my boyfriend" thread either, but it was a relief just to even type it all out.

To the poster that said we sound more like roommates, alas this is how I feel as well...and he probably does too.

To address why we are "still together", well it is a complicated situation, as can be assumed from the length of time we have been together. Before we dated, we knew each other for 10 years, he is a friend of my family. Also, we own a house, have 2 dogs, and share all of the bills...everything has just been convenient for the last couple of years. I know it isn't an excuse to stay together. I am scared because I feel like I have no support system and I am trying to get past this and move on.

Any further comments are welcome, and I will update with any relevant information.

B_Evie

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I am concerned for you and can only offer advice based upon my personal opinion on how I would respond to my partner did these things to me.

He has violated your trust beyond anything else and does not deserve you. By giving you multiple diseases, he has shown that he does not have any love or care for you or your well being.

Be thankful that you are not HIV positive and that you will not spend your life seeking treatments and worrying if you will die over a simple cold. The fact that he never told you about these STD's that he knew he had is alarming. Do you think he tells his current partners he is HIV positive? I doubt it.

I don't think you dislike sex, I think he has hurt you and grossed you out. Get out while you can and heal yourself.

lottie

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I am scared because I feel like I have no support system and I am trying to get past this and move on.

That's why I suggested you start seeing a counsellor. There are a lot of self esteem issues that you need to address, in order to end the relationship. If you felt good about yourself, you'd have left ages ago. He is treating you like shit, because you enable him to do so, it's a fucked up co-dependent relationship.

cgttown

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
In my opinion, seeing a counselor is the first step. I'd also highly recommend a book entitled Boundaries by Dr. Henry Cloud. It's about setting up appropriate boundaries in our lives to not let people take advantage of us because it's not good for them or for us. It's written from a Christian perspective, but regardless of your faith (or lack thereof) it's excellent advice and gets you thinking about how you are interacting with the people in your life.

Your partner has not been much of a partner and has overstepped all the boundaries that you need to have for a healthy relationship. However, you've let him overstep these boundaries and you need to ask yourself why. A counselor would help that a lot, but if you have neither time nor money for that, the book is a good start.

Sex, in time, and when you take back control of it in your life, can become a positive again. This will take your prioritizing it appropriately in your life, and you seem to have had some issues doing just that. I'm thinking you need to treat yourself better all around.

I would most definitely take steps to take control of your own life, and if disentangling your life from your partner's is a bit too much independence at this stage, start small...but start. You need to take ownership, man. You have to be responsible for you. Oh, and don't sleep with him anymore. You're not being selfish; you're being smart.

rayray

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
Afer what I have read , the natural thing for everybody to say is to get the hell out of Dodge because you continue to dodge bullits.You are going to have to make the first move. You obviously got in deeper and deeper because of your bastard of a bf..Right now he has it made and if you stay you will continue feeding his life style. Is the house in both of your names ? I figure that it is.Quit having anziety sex ,,sex period..I dont know how the housing market is for you and if he will cooperate with you but get it on the market.Since you both mutually agreed to an open relationship I can see why you let the bugs get by.I would have put a end to it the second you got your 1st STD from him..You are a very lucky man if you did not contract HIV.I dont care how incovient it is for you do the obvious..but do it...This web site is for a lot of things, entertaiment, advice and to me educate myself with people who don't judge(well most of them). Don't make this your last post. Even though you might be sitting their alone with a computer but you have a wide variety of people to listen , offer advice and opinions..Good luck..

rbkwp

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Personally relieved now that theres no need to worry' for you.
All respect but tbh after your response if it was a matter of being able to express yourself to someone, then thats been achieved, all well & good
Am wondering now if you really want to resolve a deeper issue?
You do seem destined to continue on with your comfortable & perhaps convenient for you both, lifestyle
either way hope it all goes down well.

MrJimSir

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Holy shit! Get out! Take time off from school if you have to. Give up the house if you have to! It's not worth your health. Get counseling. Try hypnosis! It works great for anxieties like about sex.

(All this worked for me. Except mine was hitting me.)