Any afterthoughts of Live8

DanielForever

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
so what sre your afterthoughts of live8 (to the american readers, live8 was a little music event to raise awareness for the G8 sumit of world affairs)

how great was Niel Young, and how great were Muse and Madonna

and how bad were REM

and were was Elten and Bowie and the rest of Queen?
great night, its worth everyone posting i think

Dr. Dilznick

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Originally posted by DanielForever
to the american readers, live8 was a little music event to raise awareness for the G8 sumit of world affairs.

1. There were other countries involved as hosts; the US being one of them.
2. Please tell me what was so "great" about it.

DanielForever

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
i think there were about 6 host nations,

London opened and closed the show
with U2 and Paul McCartney doing Sgt Peppers

Philly - no Bruce Springsteen :-(

Rome- Faith hill and Willy Nelson

Paris- Muse

Berlin- GreenDay

Johannasburg (sp?)- Nelson Mandella

i dont think you can say it wasn't great, it was the best thing ever

and Pink Floyd, over 4billion people watched it, but only 3 million in the whole USA, do they not care about what it stands for?

bigsam

Just Browsing
Media
Um...there were over 1 million people AT the concert in Philly...I was one of them. There were way more than 3 million watching cross country.

Sam

Dr. Dilznick

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
i dont think you can say it wasn't great, it was the best thing ever

do they not care about what it stands for?
Geldof might as well have masturbated in Times Square with a car air freshener hanging around his dick. Would've done the same amount of good.

So tell me, what does it stand for?

Dr Rock

Experimental Member
Media
who lives in the east 'neath the willow tree? Sex
Sexuality
Unsure
fuck geldof, fuck tony blair and fuck africa.

try fixing what's wrong with your own friggin countries (of which this bread and circuses shit is a primary symptom, by the way) before you go messing with other people's.

how DARE you bleeding-heart halfwits flush billions of dollars down the bottomless toilet of "international aid" when there are people homeless and starving on your own filthy doorsteps.

Dr. Dilznick

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I swear, probably the most dangerous thing a human being can do is listen to Geldof. It's frightening how little he knows about these causes he's pushing. I'm almost positive that some sort of lasting damage will be done to anyone within earshot when he does an interview.

Mr._dB

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Originally posted by DanielForever@Jul 20 2005, 12:15 PM

and Pink Floyd, over 4billion people watched it, but only 3 million in the whole USA, do they not care about what it stands for?
[post=330706]Quoted post[/post]​

No, I guess we don't. I don't think that debt relief for Africa is a good idea at all. It won't put food in any hungry bellies, it'll just make the potentates and dictators even richer, enabling them to buy more guns.

intheloop

Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I watched the webcast.

I loved Annie Lennox performance! Why, Little Bird and Sweet Dreams.

And I got a chance to see The Cure perform! that's something new for me.

Eh. I didn't watch Madonna. I was disenchanted by Music, and I totally lost interest after American Life.

Oh! one of the best bits (for me) was Dido with Yossou N'Dour singing "Seven Seconds" Wow, that was good.

:9

Rikter8

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I was going to go into a big schpiel with my opinion...but I thought it was best to not say anything nasty except:

1. The US needs to take care of itself.
2. Foreigners in US - No English, No Stay.
3. Stop giving the Government excuses to Pocket the money
4. WAKE UP - Corporate america is screwing you.
5. STAND UP - Its Your Town - Your Community - YOUR LIFE

DanielForever

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
"No, I guess we don't. I don't think that debt relief for Africa is a good idea at all. It won't put food in any hungry bellies, it'll just make the potentates and dictators even richer, enabling them to buy more guns."
-
its not about that, it was to make it clear to the world leaders that their people want what they're intending to do, and to make it clean to the people watching who may noyt have been alerted to the plight already

"fuck geldof, fuck tony blair and fuck africa.
try fixing what's wrong with your own friggin countries (of which this bread and circuses shit is a primary symptom, by the way) before you go messing with other people's.
how DARE you bleeding-heart halfwits flush billions of dollars down the bottomless toilet of "international aid" when there are people homeless and starving on your own filthy doorsteps."
-
this perticular movement was to put one very large ammount into africa, and in one fell swoop of aid, fairtrade and european parliment governing of the gorilla states really make a difference to these countries,
there are people starving in america because you all vote for it, you all vote in lower taxes at the expence of people who really need help getting it, just because america doesn't work does not mean that noone should even attemp helping africa

'Um...there were over 1 million people AT the concert in Philly...I was one of them. There were way more than 3 million watching cross country.

Sam'
-
there were 2.8 million people who watched it in the USA live, while 8/10 people who have acces to tvs and radios in the WHOLE world watched it, if america watched it as as many people in every other country did, something like 99% of the wealthy world would have showed to the 8 most powerful men in the world that they are for world issues

Dr. Dilznick

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
its not about that, it was to make it clear to the world leaders that their people want what they're intending to do, and to make it clean to the people watching who may noyt have been alerted to the plight already
So people should blindly follow the lead of celebrities? People aren't uninformed because they "may not have been alerted" by politicians; people are uninformed because they watch MTV specials and listen to the opinions of actors, singers, and other worthless individuals. If they let uninformed asses yelling "fuck globalization" at a concert dictate international policy, they might as well just quit trying to get anything done.

jonb

Sexy Member
Media
Actually, at this point, it's pretty clear that globalization will hurt the U.S. more than it helps us. The New York Times the other day actually compared it to the last days of the Soviet Union, when it was obvious communism wasn't working but no one could say it wasn't working, much less why it wasn't working.

smallman

1st Like
Media
Originally posted by DanielForever@Jul 20 2005, 07:57 AM
so what sre your afterthoughts of live8 (
to the american readers, live8 was a little music event to raise awareness for the G8 sumit of world affairs)

how great was Niel Young, and how great were Muse and Madonna

and how bad were REM

and were was Elten and Bowie and the rest of Queen?
[post=330617]Quoted post[/post]​

so americans have absolutely no knowledge of world affairs? you certainly are fond of stereotypes, you cocky fucktard.

smallman

1st Like
Media
Originally posted by jonb@Jul 24 2005, 04:12 PM
Actually, at this point, it's pretty clear that globalization will hurt the U.S. more than it helps us. The New York Times the other day actually compared it to the last days of the Soviet Union, when it was obvious communism wasn't working but no one could say it wasn't working, much less why it wasn't working.
[post=331476]Quoted post[/post]​

yeah, im really smarting from globalization, what with all the cheap goods and shitloads of money to buy them with. some areas are smarting, but no one i know so fuck 'em.

jonb

Sexy Member
Media
It just generally hurts the working class.

Oh, and smallman? Those cheap goods come at a price. Namely higher unemployment, and in particular fewer manufacturing jobs. Except of course at McDonald's.