Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Where it be amateur, professional, or just a fan of the study.... are there any Anthropologists on LPSG?

I like to consider myself an amateur anthropologist and I find this place very interesting. Anyone else?

Trained in Anthro at McGill.

Nudistpig

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Sorry, that was a poor choice of words... I meant do you work in the field as employment? What are your interests?

No, one must love the field to stay in it and it was too racist and colonialist and my advisor in classics was a raging homophobe so I switched to communication in English, then a degree in Philosophy followed by an MA and now completing a PhD, also launched the rave scene in Montreal, and opened a nightclub that is world famous, when not doing that mega fundraising and lots of volunteer work on Boards. I teach at York and am supposed to be writing.

I think I am going to run away to join the circus.

Fotographer001

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
Unsure
I have three degrees and working on a fourth. So I don't often do work in my given degree, it seems odd but not really. I guess you can say the current interview project for my dissertation is anthro based as it uses action research methods and is quasi ethnographical. Anthro covers a broad range of possible worksites, do you mean archaeology, new world archaeology, ethnography, primatology/anthro, cultural anthro, etc?

Fieldwork by nature in most disciplines is varying degrees of unpleasant. Or do you mean employment? I am not sure what you are asking please help.

Sorry, that was a poor choice of words... I meant do you work in the field as employment? What are your interests?

Reactions: Nudistpig

Nudistpig

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
That's awesome

I was super lucky to have Homa Hoodfar, Mike Bisson and Bruce Trigger, the leading feminist of Islam scholar in the world, the leading (at the time, Mike is deceased) experimental archaeologist teaching human evolution,fieldwork methods and I took flintknapping with him and Egyptology with Bruce, who advocated for the Nubian influence in Egyptian antiquity which was pretty forward for the time. I also had some asshats.

Reactions: alcor972

Nudistpig

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Sorry about the homophobia...
But it sounds like you have had some awesome experiences

Oh hey, it was the early 90's and dude was a fossil, I just wasn't there for it, and wasn't going to spend a career with him. I appreciate the concern. It was a good reason to switch. I had some amazing profs there at the top of their game, changing the field. Shaped my understanding of the social sciences in general and ultimately allowed me to develop much more inclusive and diversified ways of seeing and thinking.

Reactions: Fotographer001

Socio-cultural anthropology was my favorite subject in college. Psychology was a not too distant second favorite. I greatly enjoy reading and watching things about socio-cultural as well as forensic anthropology. I don't hold a degree in either or work in the field. I opted for being more practical, due to concerns about viability of a job. I'm not sure if I'll eventually go back to school for a degree in one of them or not. I really dislike being in any kind of debt, and student loans are a pain in the ass.

Reactions: Nudistpig

Nudistpig

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Socio-cultural anthropology was my favorite subject in college. Psychology was a not too distant second favorite. I greatly enjoy reading and watching things about socio-cultural as well as forensic anthropology. I don't hold a degree in either or work in the field. I opted for being more practical, due to concerns about viability of a job. I'm not sure if I'll eventually go back to school for a degree in one of them or not. I really dislike being in any kind of debt, and student loans are a pain in the ass.

With your brain and my help (lots of experience in writing winning funding apps) you would get a free ride

Reactions: Fotographer001

Nudistpig

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I have three degrees and working on a fourth. So I don't often do work in my given degree, it seems odd but not really. I guess you can say the current interview project for my dissertation is anthro based as it uses action research methods and is quasi ethnographical. Anthro covers a broad range of possible worksites, do you mean archaeology, new world archaeology, ethnography, primatology/anthro, cultural anthro, etc?

Fieldwork by nature in most disciplines is varying degrees of unpleasant. Or do you mean employment? I am not sure what you are asking please help.

Fotographer001

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
Unsure
No, one must love the field to stay in it and it was too racist and colonialist and my advisor in classics was a raging homophobe so I switched to communication in English, then a degree in Philosophy followed by an MA and now completing a PhD, also launched the rave scene in Montreal, and opened a nightclub that is world famous, when not doing that mega fundraising and lots of volunteer work on Boards. I teach at York and am supposed to be writing.

I think I am going to run away to join the circus.
Sorry about the homophobia...
But it sounds like you have had some awesome experiences

Fotographer001

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
Unsure
Oh hey, it was the early 90's and dude was a fossil, I just wasn't there for it, and wasn't going to spend a career with him. I appreciate the concern. It was a good reason to switch. I had some amazing profs there at the top of their game, changing the field. Shaped my understanding of the social sciences in general and ultimately allowed me to develop much more inclusive and diversified ways of seeing and thinking.

That is awesome.... the part about having amazing profs that helped shape your understanding of the social sciences and of thinking and seeing things.