Any body know what is some good wine to drink?

fluoro

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
You already have some good advice here, but before you decide that you don't like a wine, let it breathe a bit. Sometimes the first sip from a just opened bottle can be a horrible shock to the system, but after it has been open for a while or decanted, it can improve remarkably.
I've been happy with some Costco (Kirkland brand) wines and I've had good advice from my local Trader Joe's for inexpensive wine.
I'll add that my taste in wine has changed nearly 180 degrees from when I first started to drink it - I started with the sweeter wines like white zinfandel and now prefer it drier more complex. My favorites are Cabernet Sauvignon, Pinot Noir & Meritage (a blend), but I think any variety can be good (or bad).
Cheers!

Viking_UK

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Are you just drinking or having it with a meal?

You've not lived till you've had a champagne blow job.

I'll go with that. I've only had one, but by God, it was good!

If you don't know much about wines, there are a few hints and tips that can help without going into technical details.

1) If there aren't many bottles of a particular type left on the shelf, chances are it's popular and drinkable. (Not always a guarantee as it could be on special offer or they may be running out.)

2) Choose a wine with a fairly plain label. They tend to be better. The wine sells itself without having to go, "Wahey! Look at me!"

3) Read the label. That will tell you how sweet, dry or robust etc and give you an idea of what to drink it with.

4) High alcohol content doesn't always mean a good wine.

5) Expensive doesn't always mean good wine either.

6) Just because you've had one bad bottle doesn't mean that every one of that type is nasty. You could have just been unlucky.

Try a few different ones. Keep a list of ones you've liked and ones you've hated. It makes it easier next time.

If you're in an off licence/bottle shop, whatever talk to the staff. They can give you advice and point you in the right direction.

Viking_UK

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Another thing is don't be a snob when it comes to cork over screwtop. There are some very good wines with screwtops these days, and if it hasn't been stored properly, wine in a bottle with a cork is more likely to go off.

nicenycdick

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
My last piece of advice...try Frontera...they make a good Chardonnay (white) and a decent Merlot (red). Their wine is from Chile, is inexpensive and has an easy but robust flavor that will work for new wine tasters.

B_spotted_duck

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
You already have some good advice here, but before you decide that you don't like a wine, let it breathe a bit. Sometimes the first sip from a just opened bottle can be a horrible shock to the system, but after it has been open for a while or decanted, it can improve remarkably.
I've been happy with some Costco (Kirkland brand) wines and I've had good advice from my local Trader Joe's for inexpensive wine.

Use google to look up Two buck chuck! Trader Joe's has sgood cheap blends made up and sells them for $1.99.

D_Tintagel_Demondong

Sexy Member
Media
cheap wine is the best wine. it's inexpensive and you get drunk quick :biggrin: but if you want nice wine that tastes good, go with beringer.

Well, maybe not the "best". :tongue:

Expensive wine isn't necessarily better, though.

1. The price doesn't always reflect the quality.
  2. Wines are often expensive simply because they are rare.
  3. It's not only about price; the age of the wine is a more important factor.
I don't like the stigma of boxed wine. The packaging shouldn't be a factor. Nonetheless, price and packaging apparently effect the taste of the vino.

fluoro

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Use google to look up Two buck chuck! Trader Joe's has sgood cheap blends made up and sells them for $1.99.

I've got two cases of Two Buck Chuck cabernet in my cellar – I've found that after a couple of years, they really improve. We have to pay $2.99 in Indiana, so for us it's really Three Buck Chuck (still a deal).

Onslow

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Back when I drank, I found the bottles with torn labels in the discount bin were just as tasty and invigorating as the 100 dollar bottles.

Personally I always preferred gin.

mako shark

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
A good bottle of Porto works for me. 20%, so it is much more potent than your everday wine and less than $20 if you shop around...

CUBE

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I was born in the grape field...to much to go into as far as explaining wine. Most people that are young and don't drink much wine are better off with a white over a red.