Any Brit Beatles fans?

woogexx

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Im a huge Beatles fan...I mean can you get any better then that? Anyways as I was rocking out to them getting ready for work today I thought about how Lennon was killed in NYC. If I was a Brit (esp back then, when he was killed) Id be a little angry at the country as whole. Damn American Taking my artist off this earth too soon, would probably be my atitude.

I wonder if this attitude was around after Lennon's death in England?....anyone around at that time that could enlighten?

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I was never a fan of Lennon, sorry.

I don't recall the anger being directed at his killer as an American, but simply as a killer of a person popularly regarded as extraordinary, not just in the UK but internationally. I'm sure such sentiment as you allude to did exist, certainly among his most ardent fans, although that's really just supposition on my part as I never heard such things said.

As I say, I can't say I ever had the same rose tinted view of Lennon many did, and remember thinking at the time that the murder and the man were massively over 'hyped'. However, that doesn't mean I wasn't saddened by his untimely and premature death.

Brillig47

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
The Beatles saved my life! Literally? Not literally, but when "Please please me" and "From me to you" came out, in 1962 (go figure my real age! LOL), they totally blew my mind, and it's stayed blowed ever since. Every single song they wrote is memorable. By comparison, how many U2 tunes can you sing? I can think of one "I still haven't found what I'm looking for...."

By comparison, I reckon I can at least hum the tune of every Beatles song ever written, and they stopped writing in 1969.

Unbelievable talents, bless them. I met Ringo Starr once, every bit as droll and laid back as he appeared in the Beatles movies, "Hard Day's Night" and "Help." I was completely overawed and made a fool of myself. Lost any trace of cool I ever had.

Brillig47

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
PS, I can remember where I was when JFK was assassinated, but I can't remember where I was when John Lennon was shot. But I cried when John died.

Rubenesque

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I love love love The Beatles, have spent some great nights in Liverpool and I always get a buzz because of the association with them. Tell you what though, the nights in The Cavern must've been hell. I've been to loads of the underground bars down there, and when it's hot is revolting, the floors are dripping wet and that's with air con!

Brillig47

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Sorry Denise.
I'm old enough to know better. Still, just goes to show, judgement is a precarious business. But, Hey, Sssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhh, don't tell. There's life in the old dog yet!

Rubenesque

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I wonder if this attitude was around after Lennon's death in England?....anyone around at that time that could enlighten?

I was only about 8 when he was killed, but I know ALOT of Beatles fans and I've never ever heard anyone slag off the nation, just the bloke. It was one man who killed him, not his country. I honestly don't think we have any animosity against America... not for that anyway! lol

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I love love love The Beatles, have spent some great nights in Liverpool and I always get a buzz because of the association with them. Tell you what though, the nights in The Cavern must've been hell. I've been to loads of the underground bars down there, and when it's hot is revolting, the floors are dripping wet and that's with air con!

Likewise, although I tended to spend more time in the back street pubs off Mount Pleasant and Hardman St, darned if I can remember many names after all this time, although I remember Ye Cracke in Rice St - oodles of fun was to be had there. :smile:

The 'original' Cavern club is long gone of course although the club of the same name also retains the original number. I find it's a bit tawdry round there these days, (not that I've been for a good while) but the tourists seem to love it.

Brillig47

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
No, we never blamed America as such for John Lennon's death. He chose to live there. But although I've visited the States, I always felt it was and is crazy that guns are so easily available, and there doesn't seem to be any restriction on who can own a gun. Isn't the "Constitutional right to bear arms" just a little out-of-date?

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
... I know ALOT of Beatles fans and I've never ever heard anyone slag off the nation, just the bloke. It was one man who killed him, not his country. I honestly don't think we have any animosity against America... not for that anyway! lol

I was pretty young too at the time, but that's pretty much my recollection also.

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
No, we never blamed America as such for John Lennon's death. He chose to live there. But although I've visited the States, I always felt it was and is crazy that guns are so easily available, and there doesn't seem to be any restriction on who can own a gun. Isn't the "Constitutional right to bear arms" just a little out-of-date?

I don't know anyone who owns a gun.

arthurdent

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I was 20 when Lennon was shot (08 DEC 80) and was at University at the time. I heard the news on my radio in my room at the hall of residence. Everyone was shocked and saddened, particularly he was just getting his life back on track and had just released the Double Fantasy album, so it really felt like he'd been taken from us before his time. (I felt the same about Princess Diana and Kirsty MacColl as they too were getting there lives back on track when they died). During the Christmas holiday 1980, I worked in a record shop and so many people came in to buy Lennon's new album or the single Starting Over. The album and single reached UK No.1, then Woman got to No. 1, and then a re-release of Imagine went to No. 1. Also as tribute to Lennon, Roxy Music covered Lennon's Jealous Guy which became their only No.1 in February 1981.

I don't think any Briton would hold the whole of America responsible for his death; we all know it was a deranged obsessive fan. John had chosen to live in New York. We are not into gun culture in Britain.