any comic book fans on this site?

D_Maurice Mountlilly

Account Disabled
Media
it seems like there are tons,but they don't want it to be known.
i've been a fan for 32 yrs and i'm never gonna stop.i read all types,super hero to non-super hero comics.to me it's one of the best entertainment mediums out right now,and always has been.

Reactions: errant

unique_exposure

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
X-men, X-factor (favorite), X-calibur, X-man.
Anything Phoenix or Scott Summers, alternate timelines included.
A few random graphic novels from Marvel & DC.

..what the heck was that series called where the Beyonder collected super heroes and put them on an alien planet? I sold a couple of that series' issues on Ebay.

breeze

Experimental Member
Media
Its an art form that has soared because of ebay , the net , cgc and comic based movies. They're talking , as if , the avengers movie may be one of the biggest movies of all time.
Its also really the only financial benefit i got out of attending berkeley. I start collecting because a comic story was nearby. I hope you got that x-men 1 in nm for chump change and is now probably worth 100,000 or more in cgc 9.8. And those books are still out there.
My favorite artists are
barry smith {conan}
carl barks, {donald duck}
john stanley { little lulu}
jb { x-men}
frank miller { dd }
frank frazetta { internationally known }
walt kelly { pogo }
richard corben {den }
bill ward { good girl }
matt baker { one of the greatest good girl artists of all time }
mike kaluta { shadow }
jeff jones { painter }
bill woggins { katy keene }
berni wrightson etc. Its funny that few superstar artists have emerged in the last few years.
The san francisco area is preparing to host wondercon in a few month. The san diego con , which attracts major movie stars , is approaching half a million fans. The cons in paris , london and rome use to last a week and have 500,000 fans attending. I don't know if that's still the case.

Lex

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
it seems like there are tons,but they don't want it to be known.
i've been a fan for 32 yrs and i'm never gonna stop.i read all types,super hero to non-super hero comics.to me it's one of the best entertainment mediums out right now,and always has been.

Is that an Art Adams picture of the X-Men as you avatar?

As a child, teen and adolescent, I read:

Uncanny X-Men (Claremont Run) and most of the spin-offs (with the exception of Wolverine)
Teen Titans (Wolfman/Perez Run)

and read other comics off and on (like Justice League, Spawn, etc.).

Currently, I am reading the following (via cbr files):

Uncanny X-Men (since issue 500, this series has been firing on all cylinders)
X-Force
Cable
X-Men Legacy
X-Factor
Blackest Night
Flash Rebirth

edonline

LPSG Legend
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I was a big fan of DC many years ago and just gotr back into reading them with the Blackest Night arc. Not only have I been buying the BN monthly title but have also been picking up Green Lantern, Green Lantern Corp, Adventure Comics and a few others.

classyron

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I used to collect all of the Avengers stuff. Got rid of most of it over the years. I found my "West Coast Avengers" 4-part limited series, the first comics of the series, sealed in plastic. It is in rough shape though.

Also collected, more specifically, Jonah Hex, Sgt Rock, Batman, Spiderman, Ghost Rider, Green Lantern, Capt Marvel (Shazam), Iron Man, Conan the Barbarian (regular and large sized comics), etc. Also, some of the darker horror stuff too.

I am just getting back into the "graphic novel" genre, but not finding it as cool as the old 70s/80s stuff.

StormfrontFL

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
X-men, X-factor (favorite), X-calibur, X-man.
Anything Phoenix or Scott Summers, alternate timelines included.
A few random graphic novels from Marvel & DC.

..what the heck was that series called where the Beyonder collected super heroes and put them on an alien planet? I sold a couple of that series' issues on Ebay.

It was called "Secret Wars"

Major fan here.
Anything X-men related
Titans
JLA
Green Lantern
Legion
Supergirl
Wonder Woman
What If
JSA
Outsiders
and many more

D_Maurice Mountlilly

Account Disabled
Media
I have a couple Avengers TPB. I recently re-read the Korvac Saga. I am a sucker for old-school Byrne and Perez.

that is neal adams art in my avatar,
and the byrne/perez era books are still great.
byrne's run on the x-men,and don't forget his fantastic four run,wich to me was mind-blowin'. i didn't think anyone could add to that book after what lee and kirby did.
and i still love alpha flight.(wish marvel did as well)

i don't think anyone does team books better than perez.
teen titans had me amazed with every page.(the judas contract was classic)
the korvac saga was one of my favorite avenger's stories,along with the kree/skrull war.and the masters of evil stories.
the green lantern books are the books i look foward to reading the most.
geoff johns just gets the whole concept of the super hero comic.

Viking_UK

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I started off with the Uncanny X-men and 2000AD more years ago than I care to remember. I had every 200AD from issue 1. We moved house when I was 12 and my mother decided I was too old for comics, so some of my collection went to a younger cousin who promptly coloured in the black and whites and scribbled all over them. The rest went into the fire. To her dying day, she refused to believe they were worth anything. After all, "Who would want an old comic?"

On a brighter note though, yesterday afternoon, I found a second-hand book and comic shop I hadn't know about. They were closed, being a Sunday, but they had some rather interesting examples on display. I'll have to go back later in the week.

Sklar

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I have a over 25 comic book boxes, each holds 100+ comics all bagged. I've been collecting since I was 8 years old.

I'm not looking to sell the entire thing for 35,000.

Anyone interested drop me an private message here.

Sklar

smokinbarrel

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
that is neal adams art in my avatar,
and the byrne/perez era books are still great.
byrne's run on the x-men,and don't forget his fantastic four run,wich to me was mind-blowin'. i didn't think anyone could add to that book after what lee and kirby did.
and i still love alpha flight.(wish marvel did as well)

Actually, Lex was right--the artist responsible for your avatar was Arthur Adams. :wink: Art drew that piece as original art for the Classic X-Men reprints. The early part of the run featured covers by Adams (for the first year and a half) and original back up features with art by John Bolton.

Agreed on the Byrne's work with Claremont on Uncanny X-Men! A truly ground-breaking and phenomenal era in mainstream comics! Like you, I loved Byrne's work with the Fantastic Four--he drew from the Kirby/Lee era, but also added his own innovations to a long-running franchise. I thought the first two years of Alpha Flight were amazing! Byrne expanded the Marvel Universe by exploring the supernatural side of Canada. Pity that Byrne apparently doesn't remember AF with equal fondness. I remember an old interview saying that was among his least favorite experiences w/Marvel.

i don't think anyone does team books better than perez.
teen titans had me amazed with every page.(the judas contract was classic)

YES!! DC really hit the 80's strong with The New Teen Titans! I appreciate the way Wolfman & Perez took a failed brand and breathed life into it. They blended old & new in a dynamic way with stories ahead of their time. Marv's plots & characterization were compelling, and George's work was simply gorgeous!

the korvac saga was one of my favorite avenger's stories,along with the kree/skrull war.and the masters of evil stories.

The "Korvac Saga" provided good reading, with the Avengers & time-traveling Guardians of the Galaxy hunting for a godlike being with the power to destroy creation. I loved the suspense and tension with the heroes not having real leads, and only uncovering Korvac by a fluke chance in suburbia! The "Siege of Avengers Mansion" was good, but largely because of the Masters and the losing odds the Avengers faced. Strong story, but not my favorite Avengers line-up.

My favorites were the "Celestial Madonna Saga", "The Serpent Crown Affair", Micheline & Byrne/Perez' "Bureaucracy Mandated" story, and a good deal of Kurt Busiek's run. I'm actually liking the Bendis & Immonen work, even though Bendis is controversial among Avengers fans!

If anyone couldn't tell, yes, I'm also a comic book geek! I'm currently collecting:

Marvel
Agents of Atlas
New Avengers
Spider-Woman
Runaways (if there's another volume released)
The Twelve (see above, replace "volume" with "issue")

DC
Birds of Prey (Volume 2 coming soon!)
Madame Xanadu (under the Vertigo imprint)
Power Girl
Secret Six
Wonder Woman

Independents
Buffy The Vampire Slayer, Season 8
The Walking Dead

MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Been a Marvel Comics fan going on 28 yrs die hard this very year, and ain't regretted one Spiderman I've ever purchased, him and the hulk.
DC, well, batman & supes were the only ones that had my interest, but they were small compared to spidey.

D_Maurice Mountlilly

Account Disabled
Media
Actually, Lex was right--the artist responsible for your avatar was Arthur Adams. :wink: Art drew that piece as original art for the Classic X-Men reprints. The early part of the run featured covers by Adams (for the first year and a half) and original back up features with art by John Bolton.

Agreed on the Byrne's work with Claremont on Uncanny X-Men! A truly ground-breaking and phenomenal era in mainstream comics! Like you, I loved Byrne's work with the Fantastic Four--he drew from the Kirby/Lee era, but also added his own innovations to a long-running franchise. I thought the first two years of Alpha Flight were amazing! Byrne expanded the Marvel Universe by exploring the supernatural side of Canada. Pity that Byrne apparently doesn't remember AF with equal fondness. I remember an old interview saying that was among his least favorite experiences w/Marvel.

YES!! DC really hit the 80's strong with The New Teen Titans! I appreciate the way Wolfman & Perez took a failed brand and breathed life into it. They blended old & new in a dynamic way with stories ahead of their time. Marv's plots & characterization were compelling, and George's work was simply gorgeous!

The "Korvac Saga" provided good reading, with the Avengers & time-traveling Guardians of the Galaxy hunting for a godlike being with the power to destroy creation. I loved the suspense and tension with the heroes not having real leads, and only uncovering Korvac by a fluke chance in suburbia! The "Siege of Avengers Mansion" was good, but largely because of the Masters and the losing odds the Avengers faced. Strong story, but not my favorite Avengers line-up.

My favorites were the "Celestial Madonna Saga", "The Serpent Crown Affair", Micheline & Byrne/Perez' "Bureaucracy Mandated" story, and a good deal of Kurt Busiek's run. I'm actually liking the Bendis & Immonen work, even though Bendis is controversial among Avengers fans!

If anyone couldn't tell, yes, I'm also a comic book geek! I'm currently collecting:

Marvel
Agents of Atlas
New Avengers
Spider-Woman
Runaways (if there's another volume released)
The Twelve (see above, replace "volume" with "issue")

DC
Birds of Prey (Volume 2 coming soon!)
Madame Xanadu (under the Vertigo imprint)
Power Girl
Secret Six
Wonder Woman

Independents
Buffy The Vampire Slayer, Season 8
The Walking Dead

i meant art adams(for some reason neal was on my mind)
byrne said that marvel damn near forced him to do the alpha flight series(hence why he left marvel to go to DC)those were an incerdible 24 issues.
the celestial madonna stroyline was great as well(mantis is underrated)
busiek's run was solid(hated triathlon/the skrull killer he is nowadays)
but i thought geoff john's run was over looked(though short,because he went straight to dc afterwards)
i think bendis has good intentions,but they don't translate well in super hero comics(although i loved alias)
his daredevil run should've been called "matt murdock"
and he writes luke cage like a typical rap-video thug extra,just posing and posturing,never really doing anything. in the power man iron fist series,luke would kick major ass.he once ran down and stopped a jumbo jet from taking off. and with bendis writing him he can't even hold his own against the wrecker(with the help from wolvie,spider-man,and spider-woman) when in the old iron fist series,iron fist and captain america(steve rodgers)took out the whole wrecking crew in avengers mansion.

agents of atlas is a great book(i hope marvel keeps putting it out reguarly)
nova and the gaurdians of the galaxy are great reads too.
i can't wait for birds of prey to come back,gail simmone is one of the best writers in the industry.she great on secret six(ragdoll is funny as hell)and her wonder woman might be the best take on the character.
and the walking dead....... i can't put into words how good this book is,plus i just read that AMC is putting a tv series of this book in production.
my other favorite non super hero book is scalped.

61_

Oh man, does a $100/week comic habit make me a fan? Heck yeah.

The list of what i collect is long, but Make Mine Marvel. And sometimes Vertigo or even little Wildstorm or Darkhorse. DC, I keep trying, and the Blackest Night thing is still fun, but unless Grant Morrison is jerking off onto the script, it's just not equal to Bendis, or Millar, or Vaughn, or even Whedon's Xmen run. Heck, Bill Willingham does more per comic in deft storymaking than the entire 52 whatchamacallit.

end transmission. But hey, I'm finally going to get to go to Isotope Comics in SF Thursday. Been wanting to visit for years. It's like the Haj. Yay! (now breathlessly awaits Planetary Vol. 4 Trade release next week...)