Any experiences with low-cholestrol meds?

Discussion in 'The Healthy Penis' started by NorwaySchlong, Feb 5, 2009.

1. NorwaySchlong

NorwaySchlong Member

Albums:
    Hello, I hd the flu + a long lasting cold this winter, and didnt eat properly for weeks. After that, my cock was harder than for many years. (Usually my cholesterol is ca 6 mmol/L). I want this to continue! can it be due to a low cholesterol level (hadnt been eating fatties and meat for many weeks). I am thinking of bying som cholesterol lowering med. Anyone who has any experience and good tips? Thank in advance! PS I also now has started to take magnesium, selen, zink and lots of omega to keep the good boy work :)

2. GBF64

GBF64 Well-Known Member

Albums:
  3. NorwaySchlong

NorwaySchlong Member

Albums:
    Thanks! I am already on these kind of supplements. I am also interested in prescription meds , isit called statins?

4. GBF64

GBF64 Well-Known Member

Albums:
    The prescription meds did nothing for me. I took Pravachol and Tri-cor. Bad side-effects if taken too long. Liver damage is one.

5. NorwaySchlong

NorwaySchlong Member

Albums:
    Thanks, better stick to the minerals and Omega 3 then.....

6. MarkLondon

Gold Member

Albums:
    Just 20 minutes of aerobic exercise a week lowered my cholesterol from 5.6 to 4.8 over about three months.

I'd be wary of statins. There are increasing reports of side-effects ranging from lack of energy and odd aches and pains through to liver damage and muscle degeneration.

7. NightFish

NightFish Active Member

Albums:
    If you don't require meds stay away. I'm diabetic so I take a statin because of it's effects on plaque in the arteries. I take salmon oil and L-arginine as well as zinc, a magnesium & calcium blend and a good multi-vitamin. I go to the YMCA three times a week and work out at home with weights. Fitness is the key to keeping it hard.

8. Dinky7X7

Dinky7X7 New Member

I am also a diabetic, it was a diabetic for 6 years before I knew it, the problem with that is the resulting nerve damage a combining that with taking a "statin" for high cholesterol control and that is a prescription for erectile dysfunction.

Now I have to inject to get an erection, but it works well and while the idea of sticking a needle into your penis is just ugly, it's just a little prick! I doesn't hurt and the resulting two hour long erection is sure a lot of fun.

9. D_Vita_Mee_Tavegamin

D_Vita_Mee_Tavegamin Account Disabled

Consider Red Yeast Rice

10. SpeedoMike

Gold Member

if you take Rx medications, talk to your pharmacist or MD about side effects.

11. col1974

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    abnormal liver function tests can be common when on statins, a review of this should allow your practitioner to alter the dose and or type of drug.
    Bewary of consuming grapefruit juice with some types of statins.
    Some people and perhaps unwisely, take grapefruit juice to increase the effect of the cheaper statins. A enzyme reaction in intestinal cells is inhibited by grapefruit juice making them more long-lived and having a greater effectiveness with increased potential for toxicity.

An excerpt from wikipedia (yes I know it's not the most robust of evidence resources....blah!)

Consumption of grapefruit or grapefruit juice inhibits the metabolism of statins—furanocoumarins in grapefruit juice inhibit the cytochrome P450 enzyme CYP3A4, which is involved in the metabolism of most statins (however it is a major inhibitor of only lovastatin, simvastatin and to a lesser degree atorvastatin) and some other medications[21] (it had been thought that flavonoids were responsible). This increases the levels of the statin, increasing the risk of dose-related adverse effects (including myopathy/rhabdomyolysis). Consequently, consumption of grapefruit juice is not recommended in patients undergoing therapy with most statins. An alternative, somewhat risky, approach is that some users take grapefruit juice to enhance the effect of lower (hence cheaper) doses of statins. This is not recommended as a result of the increased risk and potential for statin toxicity.

It is interesting that NorwaySchlong noted erection quality improvements though...

Draft saved Draft deleted