Any fans of musicals?

playainda336

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Greensboro (North Carolina, United States)
Verification
View
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
Thought I might start something different from my usual posts...and I dunno if it's been done before or not.

But I am a big fan of musicals. I haven't seen a LOT of them, but I have seen The Full Monty, The Wiz, Dreamgirls, Fiddler on the Roof, and many more. Most of the one's I've seen needless to say are more mainstream.

I want to see Wicked, The Color Purple, and Aida too...most importantly I want to see Les Miserables. I LOVE the music from it so I KNOW I'll love the play. Ok, I'm done for now. Your turn. :cool:

BlackCock85

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Thought I might start something different from my usual posts...and I dunno if it's been done before or not.

But I am a big fan of musicals. I haven't seen a LOT of them, but I have seen The Full Monty, The Wiz, Dreamgirls, Fiddler on the Roof, and many more. Most of the one's I've seen needless to say are more mainstream.

I want to see Wicked, The Color Purple, and Aida too...most importantly I want to see Les Miserables. I LOVE the music from it so I KNOW I'll love the play. Ok, I'm done for now. Your turn. :cool:

I could say I like musicals, I havent seen many or nearly as many as you have but I'd like to. I was in drama club back in high school and I was in 42nd Street which I think was such an amazing show. You mentioned AIDA and I wanted to see it soooo bad back in 2003 because Toni Braxton was playing the part of AIDA. I actually have the whole show Acts I & II in audio form if you'd be interested. I also would like to see Beauty & The Beast because that was the first Musical Toni did, I know I'm a fool. Musicals are nice and fun, just dont have the opportunity to see them or be exposed to them, Lion King would have been another awesome one:rolleyes:

BlackCock85

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Oh yeah forgot about those. I want to see ALL the Disney ones. Mainly because I'm a fan of ALL the Disney movies!

Disney is amazing, tho they're not too fond of me..............they took of my video of Toni performing Written In The stars from Youtube lol....so embarassed:rolleyes:

holsty101

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
If we're talking movies here, Moulin Rouge is wonderful, and (i don't know if this is available in the u.s.) Jerry Springer - The Opera, omg, it's so fuckin funny, try and imagine an operatic singer going "what the fuck? what the fuck? what the fucking fucking fuck?". well, i thought it was funny anyway...
(oh, and not forgetting Team America & South Park - Bigger Longer & Uncut, excellant comedy-musicals)

1ceman

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
I'm very fond of Hairspray, Aida, Les Mis, Assassins and Avenue Q. Also, my girlfriend is obsessed with Little Shop of Horrors. And yeah, I've seen tons of musicals and been in a few, too.

playainda336

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
I actually just recently performed in Dreamgirls (as CC), but a friend of mine told me he thought I'd be good as Seymour in "Little Shop of Horrors" lol.

Musical Movies are fine too. I think they each have their own advantages. I think the only thing that would have made "The Wiz" movie more perfect is if Stephanie Mills did Dorothy. "Team America" is definately a great example of one, as well. A staged production would be INSANE. Or "Oliver".

"Chicago" is really good too! I LOVED that movie.

I actually have never seen "Rent" but I like "Seasons of Love" a lot...

Gillette

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Loved "Phantom of the Opera" and "Cats". "Les Mis" was pretty good too, but I felt "Chicago" was over-rated.

Hugh Jackman in "Oklahoma" was a dream. Who knew he had that voice?

As for movies I'm a complete sucker for anything with Julie Andrews in it. Hearing her sing just sends me. From time to time I can be found singing along to "The Lonely Goatherd" in my car. What? It's a fun song.

Gene Kelly is another must watch. Who doesn't love "Singing in the Rain"?

Fred Astaire, Bing Crosby, Judy Garland, Dean Martin, Frank Sinatra, all great stuff. More recent would be David Bowie in Labyrinth.
also the movie or TV series "Fame". Ummm, I liked "Breakin'" too.

Disney has produced some classics as well. I confess to scouring every McDonald's when they had the Buddy Songs, Hero Songs and Villain Songs CDs available to get the whole set. Worth it. Totally.

Do I hear flushing?...I think it may be the last of my credibility on this site disappearing. Oh, Crap.

playainda336

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
LoL...what's said in this thread will stay here...I promise.

I LOVE the singers of old, myself!

Frank Sinatra is a BEAST.

Like I think one of the problems with singing now is that people got WAY too caught up with runs and riffs. What happened to just good voices?

Judy's great. But while we're on the subject of old musical movies...the Sound of Music will ALWAYS be a favorite. And Oliver.

[EDIT]On the subject of Hugh Jackman's singing...I didn't know he could sing until this:
YouTube - Hugh Jackman One Night Only (Tony Awards)

dreamer20

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
DNF Doris Day in Calamity Jane, Neptune's Daughter, Diamonds are a Girl's best friend, Annie and Grease.:smile:

vindicari

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
calamity jane, my fair lady, rocky horror show, singin in the rain, wizard of oz, and of course, way out west.

Pecker

Retired Moderator
Media
Back in the 1960's I was mad about Gwen Verdon in Sweet Charity.

She had a sweet, pixie voice and legs from here to Broadway.

Spoogesicle

Experimental Member
Media
Under a bridge...The Bridge of Sighs (or Size?)
Sexuality
Unsure
I love musicals. I love too many of them to have a favorite, but certain performances stand out in my mind:

Robert Guillaume in The Phantom of the Opera.

Della Reese in Blues In The Night.

Patrick Swayze in Grease.

Eartha Kitt in Cinderella.

Betty Buckley in Cats.

Of course, Carol Channing in Hello, Dolly! . . . twice.

Wendy O. Williams in The Rocky Horror Show was kind of scary, but I dealt with it.

B_Lightkeeper

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
At the risk of being outed for loving "show tunes".:smile:

I've only seen one musical on broadway and that was in 1958 in New York seeing "Li'l Abner". I fell in love with the play and music. And of course, Peter Palmer (Li'l Abner) and the transformed musclemen from Doggpatch.

I've seen touring companies of "Phantom Of The Opera", "Godspell", "Hair", "Mame", "Jesus Christ Superstar", "Best Little Whorehouse In Texas" (several times), "Irene", ""Hello Dolly", "Cabaret" and others.

I've been in local productions of "How Now Dow Jones", "Oklahoma", "Dames At Sea", "Li'l Abner", "Mame" and "Carousel".