Any other grown ups here play video games?

LeeEJ

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
My PS2 has been gathering dust since I got my Wii.

Really, it's that cool. For the first time in twenty years, I'm not stuck on the couch while merely twiddling my thumbs. Whether it's making a sweet return in tennis or getting the shit scared out of me in RE:4, the controller setup is by far the best new thing in home gaming since the N64's analog stick -- or maybe even the Atari 2600's joystick.

I never got into playing games on the computer since they usually take more time than I'm willing to give. I've tried, yes, but gradually lost interest every time. Also, it seems ridiculous to worry about hardware requirements when all I want to do is play a game. I've always preferred consoles to PCs (or Macs, for that matter).

And besides, I've never enjoyed FPS's as much as I should have because, IMO, the control was never natural enough. Holding & firing a weapon should be like, well, holding & firing a weapon, not pressing buttons, wiggling a stick, or sliding a mouse. Thank god for the Wii, because now I can play such games as instinctively (or at least really close to it) as I've played shooters in the arcades for years and years.

The only reason I haven't gotten rid of the PS2 is because of its driving games. I should probably buy a wheel soon before they disappear from shelves completely.

D_Martin van Burden

Account Disabled
Media
Dan, you better get your arm ready because we're doing Psychobilly Freakout til you ache. (Seriously, I beat it on Hard for maybe the second or third time last night. I'm a little rusty.)

I'm also a dork because I can dance circles around most on the DDR franchise.

I wish I could share the love of the FPS, but I never really had a computer fast/swift/l33t enough to keep up with the action. Diehard console RPGer. Final Fantasy will always have a special place in my heart, even though the twelfth edition made me want to claw my eyes out at some point.

Paling. An ability that renders either all physical or magical attacks ineffective, forcing you to mass heal and preserve for several minutes at a time. What the hell? You wanna just give the fucker infinite HP too?

SpoiledPrincess

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I'd love to play video games but they have so many different controls it confuses me :-( However I was brilliant at Mortal Kombat and Tekken, they satisfied my violent streak quite nicely.

Duality

Experimental Member
Media
pbbt

In my lifetime I've owned 20 pieces of home video game hardware, and that's not even counting the PC stuff. I can hold my own in all game genres, though my best is probably puzzle games. I know that's a strange thing to list as your best, but it's the truth - most people watch me play these kind of games in total awe... I'm like a machine, and when I hit my stride it makes the way you fumbled through your turn look like you're a six year old struggling with their building blocks. Any iteration of Tetris that has a piece drop speed cap, I can play indefinitely, literally. For example, on 'The New Tetris' for the Nintendo 64, my record was one round that lasted over six hours. I only quit out of sheer boredom. Go to Twin Galaxies... there are people that have played one round for over a half a day straight - I just lacked the motivation to achieve the world record I guess.

I bought a 360 a year or so ago. Then it broke. Then Microsoft repaired it. Then it broke again. It's the first and second time that's ever happened to me - my 16 bit consoles (the oldest stuff I still own) still work fine, but after 6 months the 360 crapped out on me? Pathetic.

So now I have a Wii. I camped out for it at launch - that's how big of a nerd I am (I think I even have a post about it on this very website, though I recall lying about my severe video game addiction in it... so I'm not going to dig it out :rolleyes:). It's a blast and a half... and will definitely hold me over until the Playstation 3 drops a little more in price. My favorite game at the moment is The Godfather - something about holding a guy with your left hand and punching him repeatedly with your right until he finally submits to your mercy that never grows old... though Wii Sports and Excite Truck provide awesome, unique experiences too.

I hope everybody here is aware that E3 is going on, as I type this. Lots of awesome announcements, enough to insure we'll all be glued to our TVs for many months to come. The WiiFit Balance Board (I eagerly await the developer that combines it with the Remote and Nunchuk for a good boxing game), Metroid Prime 3, Rock Band, Killzone 2, Phantom Hourglass, Super Mario Galaxy, and Mass Effect all have me excited.

LeeEJ

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
My favorite game at the moment [on the Wii] is The Godfather - something about holding a guy with your left hand and punching him repeatedly with your right until he finally submits to your mercy that never grows old...

I gotta say, the first time I encountered a fight during regular gameplay, I started pushing buttons like usual. Then I finally remembered to, literally, grab the guy's collar and start beating him in the face. Hell yeah, that's how we do it in the old country. :wink:

bobabooey69

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I have a Wii and a 360 , both hooked up to a HD front projection screen (100"), with a DD/DTS surround sound system, I have a room dedicated just to play games and watch movies.

I have come to hate going to the movies as of late, the lines, annoying people and projectionists that don't give a rats ass how the movie looks and sounds.
I have strived to make the ultimate home theatre....some people love tricking out cars, I guess this is my guilty pleasure.

burns1de

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
:mad: Curse you, s1de. Don't you put that FF12 on someone like that! (Seriously, I was rather disappointed in the game. It had its good concepts and its more than obvious eye candy, but the adventure just disappointed me than anything else. Check it.)

FFXII was okay. The last great Final Fantasy was the sixth installement (FFIII in North America), in my opinion. I always thought FFVII was very good, but still overrated (the translation was painful). FFIII/VI was the pinacle of console RPGs at the time, from the story to the characters to the narrative and even the absolutely amazing score by Nobuo Uematsu (I still have the OST at home, I had to have it ordered from Taiwain in the mid-90s from the Internetz, cost me like a zillion dollars, but it was worth every penny). To this day, it remains my favourite console RPG.