Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
I'm curious if there are any other non-drinkers on here. My decision to abstain from alcohol (I come from a family of alcoholics and don't trust myself to "do things in moderation") has had a pretty big impact on my social life. Friends who drink often feel implicated and uncomfortable with me being a teetotaler, bars are always suggested as the default meeting spot of choice (this seems to go for a lot of dates as well, unfortunately), and a lot of people feel like they can't be sexually forthcoming unless they're a little buzzed.

In the Bay Area things are a bit more artistically-oriented, so there are usually social events that don't require getting plastered, but here in northern Europe (one more week!), people have seemed really confused by the fact that I'm not into the national pasttime. Do you think it's harder to meet sexual/romantic partners in situations where alcohol is absent? What is the local culture like where you live w/regards to alcohol consumption?

kinda relate, only I only chose to stay away from one of the things my family does, which is smoke weed. I do drink though

Hanes2008

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Yes, but its hard for my friends to understand why only a few have respected the decision of self-will most think "I'll get round" to liking it or I haven't tried enough of it and keep force drinking me until I eventually do like. Kinda hard for a lot of people do contemplate not drinking or how they would behave if they didn't drink, I'm all fun with or without drinking but Im guessing others only open up with a drink.

Pendlum

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
I try not to drink things that have an octane rating, thank you very much.

I've tasted plenty of alcohol to know that I don't like it. I usually do it to get people off of my back (non of which are my friends of course). My answer has been so far been along the lines of, this shit is gross, how can you drink it. And pretty much anyone who says you learn to like it/etc loses respect to me. Most people say they respect my choice though, whoopie. :roll:

The correct answer should be, in my opinion, "Okay" and then they shouldn't give a flying fuck whether I drink or not after that (not as in push me, but as in seriously not make it an issue). I never say "I respect that you drink", I say I don't care that you drink. But the worst part of it is how fake most people sound and appear when they say it. Maybe I'm just cynical though.

I wonder how much more food some people might have if it wasn't used to make so much alcohol, and how much cheaper ethanol might be if brewers/distilleries were used to produce it?

D_Jim Jumbo

Experimental Member
Media
After a ten year marathon of trying to prove to myself that I could drink without impunity or consequence, I've gladly given it up for the past 3+ years now :)

valasario

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
well its not that i dont like alcohol drinks its just that im allergic to it

if i drink a high consentration alcoholic drink (like above 15% alc) my skin goes red immidiately and my heart pound real quick. give me quite a scare really
and the next morning the skin on my joints, necks will all get itchy
hows that for allergic reaction?
and also i recently discovered something when i got my medical checkup

the doctor brush the skin with alcohol when they goin to took blood and the area where she brush it got rash because of the reaction.

but a sip or two of cocktail is a good thing!
besides i cant stand the aftertaste of wine and beer. cheers mate!