Any other time, I'd be torn...

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by D_Thoraxis_Biggulp, May 15, 2008.

1. D_Thoraxis_Biggulp

D_Thoraxis_Biggulp New Member

I start this new job on Monday, training from 7:45 AM - 5 PM. Just today, I got an email from a local car dealership inviting me to interview with them for a sales position. The interview times are on Monday and Tuesday at 5 PM, meaning I would have to miss the tail end of a training day and possibly sacrifice a sure thing for the possibility of something more profitable. They say their sales staff's annual income ranges from 30,000 for the least competent to 50,000 for the tops. This job is going to pay about 26,000 a year, so it would make sense to try for something better, right?

Well... I suck at sales, and I hate sales. As much as it sucks that an opportunity like that is thus out of reach, I'm glad that this coming up didn't complicate things further. I'm happy knowing where I'm going to stand next week.

2. SyddyKitty

Gold Member

Albums:
    Congrats! And yea, some people just aren't fit for certain jobs. You'd likely end up hating the car job more than your new/current one.

3. D_Thoraxis_Biggulp

Definitely. I'm horrible with people face-to-face and I hate feeling like I'm trying to force strangers into a decision. I did door-to-door sales for a couple of weeks, and it made me miserable, especially knowing that I was selling utter bullshit.

4. SpeedoMike

Gold Member

I would pass on the car dealership. They chew up people and spit out everybody who doesn't produce. (a neighbor was sales manager and talked honestly about salespersons).

This is particularly good advice for someone who isn't outgoing and gregarious and recognizes bullshit when he hears it.

BTW, have you looked at the health of car sales lately. California's average for gas right now is somewhat over $4.00 and I've seen diesel for $4.999 at several stations.

Go for the [somewhat] sure thing rather than blue sky. Hope you make the right decision for yourself.

(I was a Personnel Manager and Employment Manager for most of my career.)

5. D_Thoraxis_Biggulp

I made up my mind as soon as I saw it was a sales job, but thanks for the advice nonetheless. Back in TN, I applied for a job at a used Mitsubishi dealership. I figured I drove a Mitsubishi, so I knew they were good cars, meaning I'd be comfortable telling other people that. Anyway, the pay breakdown was that I got $200 for each car I sold, but in order to stay on I had to sell 8 cars a month. And it wasn't 8 cars on average, so if I sold 12 one month, I couldn't get away with only selling 4 the following month. One month below quota, and I'd be gone. Oh and payday was only once a month, after the sales had been tallied up.
    At that point, what essentially came out to $10/hr would have been great. But I didn't feel like it was worth the risk.

Draft saved Draft deleted