Any solution to Iraq?

JustAsking

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I think I agree with Kamikazee that no clear solution exists that doesn't involve possibly very bad outcomes. My main point in this thread is that simplistic slogans like "we broke it we should fix it" are not the way to parse this extremly complex situation. Nor should it be about the US saving face, or anything else except for saving lives (Americans and Iraquis) and stablizing the region to whatever extent we could do it.

And besides, we have ginormous SUVs we need to feed over here.

Lordpendragon

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I have to wonder how much a continued presence is determined by the issues of Iran.

My suspicion is that they/you will not leave until the current administration has been left with the training and hardware to crush any opposition. Though don't expect to see it on your TV.

dostoy

Just Browsing
Media
Its interesting. NPR news today had soldiers in Iraq talk about the police work they were doing. How they used to be on the base and could not respond quickly enough to calls for help. Now they are camped outside the mega base they had been in and closer to their area of responsiblity. They acknowledge they are more vulnerable but they also unequivocally state that they are making more of a difference now.

Then, today on Capitol Hill, NPR interviewed service men who were against surging and/or staying in Iraq because in their opinion it was a pointless endeavor.

Hmm... Even the soldiers on the ground can't seem to agree.

JustAsking

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I knew a Jordanian guy in college. He told me a parable about understanding the middle east:

A scorpion was standing on the banks of the Jordan wanting to go across. A turtle came along to cross. The scorpion asks the turtle, "Suppose I hop on your back and get a ride across the river." The turtle says, "What, do you think I am stupid? You will surely sting me if you are on my back." The scorpion says, "You think I am crazy? If I sting you we will both drown.". The turtle says, "Yes right. Ok, hop on."

So they start across the river and halfway across the scor
pion stings the turtle. As they both go down, the turtle cries, "What did you do that for? Now we will both drown." The scorpion answers, "Because this is the middle east."

So I said to my friend, "I don't get it." And he said, "Of course you don't. It's about the middle east."

faceking

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
It seems nowadays Iraq is going to hell in a handbasket. I guess it's been like that for a while, but it seems to be getting progressively worse. It also appears that our politicians don't have much of a solution either, both on the Democratic and Republican side. So what is the answer? A pullout?

bump

fucking shocking the success of the Surge is not even news from the liberally-biased mainstream military-hating media.

iCasualties: Iraq Coalition Casualty Count