Verified
Gold
Media
Treyburn, North Carolina, United States of America
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
I have for the last four weeks reduced carbs in my diet. Goal is to lose the stubborn fat which was resistant to all my workouts and diet restrictions. I found about 90% of the time my energy levels on this diet are off the scale, and weight is dropping, but that other 10 percent is like I am out of fuel. I like the diet, like the low blood sugar levels and want to know what causes the slump and how to avoid it. I have cut net carbs to less than 15 gms per day. Blood fats, triglycerides, and cholesterol have fallen like rocks so that is not a concerns. I try for a 75%fat to 25%protein. Too much fat is not an issue with me unless having too low a level in blood fats is a problem. My body seems to thrive on it. I keep calorie intake around 2000 which is where I was on the pre ketone diet.

I hear it works but it takes a lot of effort to get into and stay in ketosis. Even a couple grams of carbs can but you out of the optimal zone and leave you feeling tired and unable to concentrate or properly furl yourself and your workouts. Carbs are our preferred source of fuel. Trick is to focus on good carbs and carb timing if you are active rather than eliminate them.

Sailingbear

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
I hear it works but it takes a lot of effort to get into and stay in ketosis. Even a couple grams of carbs can but you out of the optimal zone and leave you feeling tired and unable to concentrate or properly furl yourself and your workouts. Carbs are our preferred source of fuel. Trick is to focus on good carbs and carb timing if you are active rather than eliminate them.
I have tracked carbs very close and by the urine stick method have held at the 30 range on the stick. That said I will cut carbs to less than ten to see if it stops the slump days. Thanks for the feed back. The diet which I have been on for 4 weeks now is working with weight loss. Almost too fast. The strange, but good part is how it dropped my blood sugar levels and my blood fats. Cholesterol was already low but now my total is 110, my HDL went from 28 to 48 and triglycerides which have been high dropped to normal range. As for brain fog even in the slump days it is clear. I like the diet just not sure how long to stay on it.

nailz

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
If you are having problems with energy levels make sure you are getting enough electrolytes.

I usually eat a low-sodium diet but when ketogenic I have to eat much more salt to keep my energy levels up.
Eat an avocado every two days, eat spinach and mushrooms, take a magnesium supplement and increase your salt intake. Broth is an easy way to do it, I just drink it from a mug like coffee ;)

Stay away from potassium supplements, they are very dangerous.

Carbs under 10 seems silly, as long as you are in ketosis there is absolutely no benefit to eating even less carbs, and restricting to under 10 sounds extreme.

Reactions: Sailingbear

Sailingbear

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
Make sure you are getting enough electrolytes.
I usually eat a low-sodium diet but when ketogenic I have to eat much more salt to keep my energy levels up.
Eat an avocado every two days, eat spinach and mushrooms, take a magnesium supplement and increase your salt intake. Broth is an easy way to do it, I just drink it from a mug like coffee ;)

Stay away from potassium supplements, they are very dangerous.

Carbs under 10 seems silly, as long as you are in ketosis there is absolutely no benefit to eating even less carbs, and restricting to under 10 sounds extreme.
That may be it. I don't use much salt, Mg I get in my vitamins. Thanks

Reactions: nailz

kewlkid75

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I saw this diet and i did my own research and i was NO...I am not doing this. One, i am a vegetarian for starters and i work out regularly and i wouldn't fit me. So i had to take a pass.

Reactions: sangheili90

sangheili90

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I wasn't aware people still follow this idiotic fad diet. What benefit do you think you will gain by depriving your body of it's preferred fuel source, glucose, and by doing limit foods that have tremendous value towards your health (fruit, whole grains, legumes, etc.). Seriously, just follow a balanced diet based on whole foods, drink a lot of water and become more active, it isn't that hard to get down to a healthy body fat level.

sangheili90

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I saw this diet and i did my own research and i was NO...I am not doing this. One, i am a vegetarian for starters and i work out regularly and i wouldn't fit me. So i had to take a pass.

It doesn't fit anyone, it's some insane fad diet that people follow because of how it's promoted. In the absence of dietary carbohydrate and excess protein the body will switch over to using ketones as it's primary fuel source, as in this case it lacks the necessary glucose. The flawed logic is that since you are using fat as your primary energy source it must be from your body fat stores, but they forget that they are consuming hundreds of grams of fat per day. You lose body fat by going into a caloric deficit, there are other more complex factors involved as well, primarily hormonal based, but this is a general concept that will hold true.

intecblosssom

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
The ketonegic diet is fantastic, works for me. Under the ketogenic diet, no one is restricting vegetables and fruits, in fact, I am eating more of it, especially leafy vegetables. If you are vegetarian, go for high-protein sources such as tofu.

I much prefer consuming proteins from meat, seafood and tofu, plus leafy vegetables, to get my energy sources. Works much better, and avoids the hunger pangs that is associated with calorie counting. No calorie counting, and I have seen myself lose fat and gain muscle. Great diet.

Sailingbear

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
I wasn't aware people still follow this idiotic fad diet. What benefit do you think you will gain by depriving your body of it's preferred fuel source, glucose, and by doing limit foods that have tremendous value towards your health (fruit, whole grains, legumes, etc.). Seriously, just follow a balanced diet based on whole foods, drink a lot of water and become more active, it isn't that hard to get down to a healthy body fat level.
fad diet or not it works! As a person who works out 5 days a week at the gym, and walks several miles every night I still could not reverse the blood sugar levels or the fat storage from the excess insulin. Four weeks into this, now I see both improving. My view is some of us did not evolve to deal with today's sugars and carbs. I am one of those who does better on very low carbs.

sangheili90

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
The ketonegic diet is fantastic, works for me. Under the ketogenic diet, no one is restricting vegetables and fruits, in fact, I am eating more of it, especially leafy vegetables. If you are vegetarian, go for high-protein sources such as tofu.

I much prefer consuming proteins from meat, seafood and tofu, plus leafy vegetables, to get my energy sources. Works much better, and avoids the hunger pangs that is associated with calorie counting. No calorie counting, and I have seen myself lose fat and gain muscle. Great diet.

A keto diet restricts you to less than 50 of carbohydrate per day, one banana if half of that lol.

Sailingbear

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
A keto diet restricts you to less than 50 of carbohydrate per day, one banana if half of that lol.
I try to hold my carbs to under 39 mgs. Not eating a banana or other sweet fruits has not been an issue, I was already cutting sweets and breads from my diet, this just took me t o the next level. High energy, no brain fog, low bloods fats, and low blood sugar are what I am seeing. To keep the st values I can skip the banana.

sangheili90

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I try to hold my carbs to under 39 mgs. Not eating a banana or other sweet fruits has not been an issue, I was already cutting sweets and breads from my diet, this just took me t o the next level. High energy, no brain fog, low bloods fats, and low blood sugar are what I am seeing. To keep the st values I can skip the banana.

Keto diets are terrible for you, but if you are set on continuing to eat like that go ahead.

Sailingbear

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
Keto diets are terrible for you, but if you are set on continuing to eat like that go ahead.
you need to read more on low carb diets. In my case I see normal b!old sugar, lower cholesterol, normal triglycerides, and the loss of over 20 lbs of fat to be positive. Wish I had found it sooner.

W4_Hung

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
I'm vegan now but I've done keto before and yeah it was alright sbut tbh you are so restricted to eating nutrient lacking foods such as just meats fats etc, I felt much better once I introduced veg and fruits properly back in.

Losing fat is pointless if you aren't healthy and eating a nutritious diet, don't do some fad diet eat a balanced diet of fats, carbs and proteins including meats if that's your fancy and train regularly and ensure you stay hydrated.

Reactions: sangheili90

Sailingbear

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
I'm vegan now but I've done keto before and yeah it was alright sbut tbh you are so restricted to eating nutrient lacking foods such as just meats fats etc, I felt much better once I introduced veg and fruits properly back in.

Losing fat is pointless if you aren't healthy and eating a nutritious diet, don't do some fad diet eat a balanced diet of fats, carbs and proteins including meats if that's your fancy and train regularly and ensure you stay hydrated.
Each to our own. In my case on the regular weight watchers diet I had high blood sugar, high triglycerides, and no energy. On weight watchers I lost about a pound a week, but would hit periods of no weight loss for weeks. With the Ketogentics diet in 5 weeks I dropped 40 pounds. My blood work looks like a poster for good health, and my energy has skyrocketed. My view is some food choices work for some people and don't for others. In my cast the vegan diet would never fit, and with the exception of a few fruits I don't miss anything. Nutrients are covered with my one a day vitamins, and in another week or two I will scale back the very low carbs to just low carbs to keep from losing too much weight. This works for me.

sangheili90

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Each to our own. In my case on the regular weight watchers diet I had high blood sugar, high triglycerides, and no energy. On weight watchers I lost about a pound a week, but would hit periods of no weight loss for weeks. With the Ketogentics diet in 5 weeks I dropped 40 pounds. My blood work looks like a poster for good health, and my energy has skyrocketed. My view is some food choices work for some people and don't for others. In my cast the vegan diet would never fit, and with the exception of a few fruits I don't miss anything. Nutrients are covered with my one a day vitamins, and in another week or two I will scale back the very low carbs to just low carbs to keep from losing too much weight. This works for me.

Your blood work improved because you lost a substantial amount of weight, in the long run continuing to eat like this will lead to issues (insulin resistance, high cholesterol, etc.). Why can't you just eat a diet like a normal person would that wants to be fit and healthy? Whole grains, starchy vegetables, fruits, lean meats, seafood, low fat dairy, nuts, etc.....almost impossible to not maintain a healthy weight eating like that.

sangheili90

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Your blood work improved because you lost a substantial amount of weight, in the long run continuing to eat like this will lead to issues (insulin resistance, high cholesterol, etc.). Why can't you just eat a diet like a normal person would that wants to be fit and healthy? Whole grains, starchy vegetables, fruits, lean meats, seafood, low fat dairy, nuts, etc.....almost impossible to not maintain a healthy weight eating like that.

vegetables, not just starchy vegetables (sweet potaotes, etc.).

Sailingbear

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
vegetables, not just starchy vegetables (sweet potaotes, etc.).
you need to go read about Ketogentic diets. Lot on YouTube covering foods you can eat and what it will do for your health. The weight I lost was due to this diet thus is the cause of my better blood work numbers. .As to why I won't eat like you, been there, did not work for me. As with most people on the ketogentic diet I have seen my cholesterol, triglycerides, blood sugars, and now my blood pressure drop. All positives. As for fruits and starches they are and have been out of my diet for a long time. I have a long list of vegetables I can eat with out starch. The addition of starch in your diet spikes insulin which triggers fat storage and leads to insulin resistance and excess weight. As a culture we eat way too many starches and sugars, the keto diet cuts them out. We eat non processed foods, meat is organic or wild caught, and the green vegetables (spinach, cabbage, and members of their family) are organic. Lastly you may not like my diet, but it works for me and I am healthier for being on it. When you gain that extra 20 to 40 pounds and have all the negatives that come with the extra weight you will at least know where to look for help.

Reactions: socalfreak