Anybody else dislike the holiday season?

viking1

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I wish we could just skip from mid-November to mid-March, and just bypass the holiday season and most of the cold weather. The holidays don't hold any magic for me anymore, and are just a big mess. I'm always extra sad around the holidays. I'd like to just skip the whole mess...

basque9

LPSG Legend
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I wish we could just skip from mid-November to mid-March, and just bypass the holiday season and most of the cold weather. The holidays don't hold any magic for me anymore, and are just a big mess. I'm always extra sad around the holidays. I'd like to just skip the whole mess...

Do you think you might suffer a bit from seasonal depression, just a thought? Do you get outside and exercise and get plenty of sunshine on your face during these wintry months?:smile::smile:

viking1

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Do you think you might suffer a bit from seasonal depression, just a thought? Do you get outside and exercise and get plenty of sunshine on your face during these wintry months?:smile::smile:

If the weather is fit I'll get out, but not if it's too nasty.

hypoc8

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I think for a lot of us the holiday season has lost its meaning. The stores around here started putting Christmas things out right after Halloween. The radio stations have been playing Christmas music now for weeks by the time it gets here I'll be sick of it. I too get a little depressed around tis time of year.

IntoxicatingToxin

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I absolutely LOVE the holiday season! Family at Thanksgiving, my sons glee on Christmas, the feeling of a fresh new start on New Year's, all the love floating in the air on Valentine's Day, and then my birthday in March!

It's all about perception, viking1... change your perception of the holidays, and your feelings about them will change as well. I have more than enough "reason" to hate the holidays, but I've chosen not to.

Osiris

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I could do without them merely because I have lost 4 loved ones at the holidays. I do however get joy from the happiness it provides the children.

So I guess it's a kind of an "Eh!" thing for me.

SpeedoGuy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
The forced joviality and rampant appeals to base consumerism can be a real bummer. I don't hate the holiday season per se but I recognize it can be a particularly trying time for many whose life circumstances already put them under stress: the poor, the unemployed, the recently divorced or separated, orphans or foster kids, those caught in serious inter-family disputes, those suffering serious health problems, alcoholics or those prone to seasonal depression. Somehow the holiday season can further rub raw existing hurts.

Equus14

Experimental Member
Media

I would agree. Personally I don't celebrate any holidays since they are either based on nonsense (like Halloween, Christmas, Easter, Valentine's Day...), something arbitrary (like New Years Day as if our orbit around the sun has an actual starting point.), or things that no longer have any real meaning anymore (like the 4th of July when the U.S. has been slowly evolving into something other than what the founding fathers intended for a long while now)

We do celebrate birthdays however. Those will always have meaning.

Osiris

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
The forced joviality and rampant appeals to base consumerism can be a real bummer. I don't hate the holiday season per se but I recognize it can be a particularly trying time for many whose life circumstances already put them under stress: the poor, the unemployed, the recently divorced or separated, orphans or foster kids, those caught in serious inter-family disputes, those suffering serious health problems, alcoholics or those prone to seasonal depression. Somehow the holiday season can further rub raw existing hurts.

I mentioned the joy of the children? I was trying to avoid the consumerism issue. My 5 year old has already asked for just about every thing he has seen on the TV, including a nice new Jenn Air range which he can't even use yet. :rolleyes:

viking1

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I agree viking1 but i dont get sad, i get pissed at the comercialization of it all, its really shamefull:mad:

Yes, that definitely adds much to my disdain for this time of year.

I absolutely LOVE the holiday season! Family at Thanksgiving, my sons glee on Christmas, the feeling of a fresh new start on New Year's, all the love floating in the air on Valentine's Day, and then my birthday in March!
A lot of my family is gone now, and circumstance prevents me from seeing most of those whom are left. I have never seen New Year's as a fresh start, and I don't make resolutions. I have no one to love on Valentine's.
If I did, it would, I'm sure, be quite different, but I don't. Never really have either.

It's all about perception, viking1... change your perception of the holidays, and your feelings about them will change as well. I have more than enough "reason" to hate the holidays, but I've chosen not to.
I'd be a lot happier if I could just learn to love myself. I have no idea how to change my self perception, though.

viking1

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
We do celebrate birthdays however. Those will always have meaning.

My birthday has no meaning to me. I never even tell anyone that it is my birthday. I never mentioned it on here. I don't at work or church either.
It's a day I'd just like to forget. Certainly nothing to celebrate for me.
I just feel another year older and deeper in the burden of life...
Other people's birthdays are different, but mine is nothing to me personally...

SpeedoGuy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
My 5 year old has already asked for just about every thing he has seen on the TV, including a nice new Jenn Air range which he can't even use yet. :rolleyes:

That's what dismays me, Osiris: How children are manipulated and bomarded with the buy, buy, buy message so incessantly. There's little escape from the pressure unless a parent is willing to banish the TV, radio, magazines and newspapers from the home from Haloween to MLK day. And maybe that ain't a bad idea.

Dave NoCal

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Viking, having followed your posts for quite some time, I've come to the conclusion that you may be suffering from clinical depression, which is often exacerbated by the holidays, birthdays, and other times when we compare our lives to what we would like them to be. In addition, stressful events and/or their anniversaries can trigger of worsen it. fairly consisten estimates are that, at any give time, 15% of the population is dealing with major depression.

Depression has a strong biological component and seems to have some genetic causes. It, along with other mood disorders, tends to run in families. The good news is that it is often alleviated significantly with antidepressant medications that restore normal serotonin levels in the brain. That alone often helps a lot. The beneficial effects can be compounded if augmented with supportive counseling or life-coaching and, particularly, exercise. You may have a number of "reasons" why pursuing this is undesirable or impossible. You need to understand that the symptoms of depression include the loss of hope and the development of a sense of its inevitability. A psychiatrist friend of mine once said: "Depressed people see the world through shit-colored glasses." You may have felt this way much of your life and may have come to accept it as your lot in life.

I hope you will give some consideration to what I am saying because there could be a whole new and better life waiting for you out there. I've seen it happen many times. Feel free to PM, if you wish.

Dave

T-Lex

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
The holiday season makes me especially nostalgic, which is really quite nice. It's the time to remember traditions, reflect on what's really important in your life (the people, not the things), and showing your friends and family that you love why you're glad they're in your life. It's also a great time to incorporate memories and mementos of loved ones that have passed.

Of course, the holidays would be even better if I had a "significant other" to share them with, but even in the absence of that, I do love the spirit of the season and the warmth and kindness that most people show more often during this time.

Equus14

Experimental Member
Media
My birthday has no meaning to me. I never even tell anyone that it is my birthday. I never mentioned it on here. I don't at work or church either.
It's a day I'd just like to forget. Certainly nothing to celebrate for me.
I just feel another year older and deeper in the burden of life...
Other people's birthdays are different, but mine is nothing to me personally...

I can't imagine viewing my birthday in that way. I look forward to getting older. I can't wait to hit the big 40.

Equus14

Experimental Member
Media
Viking, having followed your posts for quite some time, I've come to the conclusion that you may be suffering from clinical depression, which is often exacerbated by the holidays, birthdays, and other times when we compare our lives to what we would like them to be. In addition, stressful events and/or their anniversaries can trigger of worsen it. fairly consisten estimates are that, at any give time, 15% of the population is dealing with major depression.

Depression has a strong biological component and seems to have some genetic causes. It, along with other mood disorders, tends to run in families. The good news is that it is often alleviated significantly with antidepressant medications that restore normal serotonin levels in the brain. That alone often helps a lot. The beneficial effects can be compounded if augmented with supportive counseling or life-coaching and, particularly, exercise. You may have a number of "reasons" why pursuing this is undesirable or impossible. You need to understand that the symptoms of depression include the loss of hope and the development of a sense of its inevitability. A psychiatrist friend of mine once said: "Depressed people see the world through shit-colored glasses." You may have felt this way much of your life and may have come to accept it as your lot in life.

I hope you will give some consideration to what I am saying because there could be a whole new and better life waiting for you out there. I've seen it happen many times. Feel free to PM, if you wish.

Dave

Sounds like a fair assessment to me. I was diagnosed with Clenical Depression years ago. I've overcome it since then. I changed my thinking and it eventually went away. Of course I have more will power than many people do, and I'm quite the self-starter.