Anybody have Ipod problems?

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Mem, Aug 24, 2007.

1. Mem

Mem
    Gold Member

I have the 60 gig video ipod.

I've had problems with it before, but was able to reset it. My computer crashed once and I lost all my itune songs.

The songs stayed on my ipod. The other day I tried to turn it on and got a white flickering screen. I feel like the $400 I spent on it was wasted. (I've bought good Laptops for $500 after rebates)

Has anyone else had Ipod problems?

2. SpeedoGuy

Gold Member

Albums:
    My first 60 gig ipod died a few months after purchase. Luckily, I had the instant replacement guaranteee plan so BestBuy just handed me a new 60 gig model (the video one) right in the store.

This one's been going for 2 years now. No problems at all.

3. hotbtminla

Gold Member

Albums:
    Sounds like you have what is known as "the white screen of death." :eek:

That's acutally the only problem I haven't had with mine, though I admittedly put mine through the ringer a lot because I "spin" with a dual deck iPod mixer. I've also got over 13,000 songs on my 60G, which has contributed to some of my issues.

It's a fixable situation.

If the hard reset (hold down Menu & center buttons) doesn't work, try shutting down your computer completely, wait a few minutes, connect the iPod to the USB cable, then power up the computer and see if that forces a reset. Either of those solutions seem to fix my issues about 85% of the time.

If that doesn't work, try a variation where you plug the iPod into the USB after you've got the computer back up and running. If that still doesn't work, then try the process again but open iTunes yourself before plugging in the iPod.

If you're still having issues then I would re-install the iPod software (the CD that came with the device) and iTunes. Doing that (and having it automatically update to the latest version of both software) should fix whatever is ailing it. And doing that shouldn't affect your song library. At the very worst you might have to reload the library into iTunes.

Hope this helps. If you Google "white screen of death" you might find some other solutions online. It's not a common problem but its happened enough to have people spout off about it on Apple message boards and shit.

4. lafever

Gold Member

Albums:
    I keep all my songs on master disk, that way i never lose my songs, also i don`t use an i pod as i just burn special cd`s that are catagorized by mood. Never had much use for an i-pod as right when you buy one they`re putting out a new and improved model, it`s a scam to get your money if you ask me, plus i have no need to just cary music everywhere i go, lifes too short and you might just miss it, being sociable that is.:cool:

lafever

5. Mem

Mem
    Gold Member

Cool, thanks for the info. I am going to ignore the prolem for a while, but your info is great for when I decide to try to solve the problem.

6. SpeedoGuy

Gold Member

Albums:
    Mem:

Be sure to Export your music library before you reset or re-install. I do this reguarly to a backup external drive.

7. BlackCock85

Gold Member

Albums:
    I've had problems with my ipod lately.....it's the older generation though(one before the video) I guess it depends on what kind of lifestyle you live, if you're very active and carry your ipod around with you then most likely it will run into some trouble.....oh wells. I need to get a new one, I'm getting a refurbished one though to save money :smile:

8. hotbtminla

Gold Member

Albums:
    What he said. I forgot to mention that in my post. You should never store your music library on you computer's hard drive. Way too vulnerable. External hard drive is the way to go.

9. prince_will

Gold Member

Albums:
    i had a problem with the earphone jack. when i wore my earphones, the sound came out of only one ear. i went to an Apple store to get it fixed because it wa so fucking annnoying!

Draft saved Draft deleted