anybody know?

Longhornjok: The term is fairly recent, as far as I know. Here's a recent item from The Washington Post:

What is a "Metrosexual?"

The term "metrosexual" is making the rounds. It started in England in the mid-1990s and made its way to the U.S. via an ad agency survey which used it to describe a new kind of male: one who takes care of himself -- pampers himself -- and is not ashamed of getting facials, buying grooming products and shopping. These young men hold the secrets to tomorrow's consumer trends. Madison Ave. is after them. They hold the key: they spend the money.

According to Dan Peres, editor of DETAILS magazine...

"It's certainly not used by everyday people, at least not for the moment. What does it mean? Good question. From my vantage point a metrosexual is a straight, urban-based man who is extremely comfortable and passionate about pursuing his interests in things like design, architecture, fashion, dining, grooming. The sorts of things that just a few years ago the same man would have been labeled a "sissy" for doing."

Interviewer: I've seen David Beckham and Brad Pitt referred to as metrosexual icons. Who are other fashion role models for metrosexuals?

Dan Peres: "I think if we use the sort of cult of celebrity as our barometer, there are a lot of men that fit the definition: Johnny Depp, Jude Law, Ewan McGregor, just to name a few."

Longhornjok: Or, in other words, any straight guy the "Queer Eye" guys get ahold of. ;)

Javierdude22: I think this is a cultural thing as well though. I noticed that in the US, talking about any sort of clothing or accessory will soon get you labelled as queer. In Holland, Germany, Belgium, and i'm guessing quite a number of other Western European countries, it is the most normal thing ever to discuss the latest Nike-shoes, Replay jeans, or if you like those leather wristbands or prefer mirrored sunglasses or see-through.

An American gf of mine told me however that in the US you'd be considered gay. It's weird, but in Holland more and more guys get a tan every week, dress to impress, and for example remove body hair where-ever possible, and could be the straightest guys ever. Of course, whether you like a lifestyle where your appearance makes up 50% of your spending budget and time, is a whole other issue.

Pecker

Retired Moderator
Media
Well, the American male on a blind date isn't supposed to enter the girl's place and say, "Hey, nice drapes!'

The macho image is still very important here.  Sensitivity is reserved for m/f relationships and lovemaking.

I still don't expect a metrosexual male to enjoy playing hard-contact sports.  That's an image that's going to take a while to soak in.

Pecker

(If I had blood, I'd blush!)

longtimelurker:
Interviewer: I've seen David Beckham and Brad Pitt referred to as metrosexual icons. Who are other fashion role models for metrosexuals?

I think this is a cultural thing as well though. I noticed that in the US, talking about any sort of clothing or accessory will soon get you labelled as queer. In Holland, Germany, Belgium, and i'm guessing quite a number of other Western European countries, it is the most normal thing ever to discuss the latest Nike-shoes, Replay jeans, or if you like those leather wristbands or prefer mirrored sunglasses or see-through.

Talking about Beckham and clothing, it's really amazing what he manages to get away with clothing-wise. I mean, he has been seen wearing pink nail-varnish, a girls hair-band, a skirt (OK, a sarong) and allegedly wears his wife's underwear. I'd imagine he could go out in full Rocky Horror dress, fishnets and everything and the media here would just speculate whether he is setting the new fashion trend!

I think that in the mainstream, though - a guy talking too much about clothes here would probably be branded gay, but I always feel that culture-wise the UK tends to be a half-way house between Europe and the US, anyway.

longtimelurker: Oh, and on the topic - there was a couple of news articles here about it a couple of years ago 'the rise of the metrosexual man', but I've never heard it used other than that.

Hoss

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
thread revival....it ought to be outlawed! (unless I decide to revive it:biggrin1:)

but i did see that Mr.Pecker has now been given official retired status.

Sorry Chuck I still am confused as to what a metrosexual is......and spellcheck seems to be as well......:confused::confused::confused: