anybody like Nico?

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
has there ever been a sadder, more melancholy woman in music? her music and voice are sad in a beautiful way. i love her stuff...both solo and with the velvet underground.

anyone else?

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
i do not know who neko case is.

i am talking about Nico, who is german, and was in the Velvet Undeground as i said in the OP and is unfortunately dead.

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I downloaded a couple of Nico discs last summer but never seem to remember to play them in Winamp. I have a huge admiration for her milieu, so I shouldn't have any barriers to enjoying her music.

I'll report back after some listening.

HellsKitchenmanNYC

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I downloaded a couple of Nico discs last summer but never seem to remember to play them in Winamp. I have a huge admiration for her milieu, so I shouldn't have any barriers to enjoying her music.

Didn't Nico get her son hooked on heroin? I seem to remember alot of weird stories about her. It's been a buncha yrs since I've thot about her. She prob was the orig Marianne Faithful, or how we think of her now.

:rolleyes:

no, they are not...you know that jase

Actually I didn't. I have little interest in lounge or jazz music. The only Nico I'd heard of was the Andy Warhol/Velvet Underground one. I just assumed she was still singing. You must admit, she was melancholy.

whatireallywant

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Nico, and Neko Case, are two different people.

I happen to love BOTH of them!!! :smile:

This is one of Nico's lesser-known songs (from 1965 - pre-Velvet Underground!)

YouTube - Nico - I'm Not Sayin' (1965)

It's also one of my all time favorite songs!

My favorite that she did with the Velvet Underground is "Femme Fatale" but I like her other VU songs as well.

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Actually I didn't. I have little interest in lounge or jazz music. The only Nico I'd heard of was the Andy Warhol/Velvet Underground one. I just assumed she was still singing. You must admit, she was melancholy.

i assumed you knew her...but she is not lounge/jazz at all.

she was indeed incredibly melancholy, as i said in the first post...which is why i am surprised you are unfamiliar with her, due to your shared interest in melancholy type music like myself (nirvana etc.)

whatireallywant

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

Nico - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Nico died in 1988, in a motorcycle accident. I find this especially tragic because she had finally been able to overcome her heroin addiction.

Her whole life was sad, and I think it even reflected in her voice. But at the same time her voice really appeals to me.

And for that matter, Neko Case is not lounge/jazz music, either. But she's a topic for another thread...

Last edited:

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

of you listen to Chelsea Girls, and the Velvet Underground, you will love her.

the Marble Index and Desertshore are excellent too...

i would strongly recommend the song "Winter Song"

haunting

YouTube - nico - "winter song"

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Didn't Nico get her son hooked on heroin? I seem to remember alot of weird stories about her. It's been a buncha yrs since I've thot about her. She prob was the orig Marianne Faithful, or how we think of her now.

That doesn't sound likely, but I can't really say for sure.

I do know that she was a very young woman at the peak of her career, so any child of heroin-taking age would be out of the question.

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Nico - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Nico died in 1988, in a motorcycle accident. I find this especially tragic because she had finally been able to overcome her heroin addiction.

Her whole life was sad, and I think it even reflected in her voice. But at the same time her voice really appeals to me.

yes...her life is tragic...she grew up in the bombed out post war -germany, she was raped, her father died in the war and she never knew him well at all...

interestingly, her song "Frozen Borderline" covered beautifully by John Cale, her friend and frequent collaborator from as far back as the velvet underground, is about how she as a little girl would be outside of her home playing, and there were train tracks nearby, which would have trains taking the jews to concentration camp, and she was this pretty little blond girl, and they would wave at her and she would wave at them, but just did not understand until later on in her life.

even sadder, was she was not much of a drug addict until she met Jim Morrison and had a brief affair with him, who, although i love him, told her that in order to be a true artist, she had to literally "destroy" herself, with drugs, booze, despair etc...and it was around that time her dive began...

she stopped anything having to do with her own beauty, and focused on destruction.

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Nico, and Neko Case, are two different people.

I happen to love BOTH of them!!! :smile:

This is one of Nico's lesser-known songs (from 1965 - pre-Velvet Underground!)

YouTube - Nico - I'm Not Sayin' (1965)

It's also one of my all time favorite songs!

My favorite that she did with the Velvet Underground is "Femme Fatale" but I like her other VU songs as well.

I'm not sayin' is a tune i enjoy a bit.

it is a cute and happy song...she was known to utterly hate it though and called it a "terrible song".

it was written by Gordon Lightfoot and recorded by him first...

interestingly, at this time, Jimmy Page was a session guitarist in 1965 and he played guitar on this, and helped her write "The Last Mile" which came around the same time

ironically, though i enjoy femme fatale, i prefer her darker tunes.