Anybody see Obama's Q&A with the GOP yesterday!?!?!?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by vindicator, Jan 30, 2010.

1. vindicator

vindicator Member

Albums:
    It was an amazing event. Republicans asked some tough questions of the President, and he systematically debunked and called them out for their actions over the economy and healthcare. It was truely amazing and tremendously insightful. If you didnt watch it, it is worth it. It was amazing to see how knowledgable and involved Obama is, unlike PAST Presidents.

The question is, where do we go from here and will anything change.

Obama, Republicans spar in Q&A - MSN Video

2. D_mdemifugue

D_mdemifugue New Member

yeah, he schooled those assholes. loved it.

3. baldyboy8000

baldyboy8000 Member

Yes, it is amazing to me how he can dodge questions, change subjects, and not answer.
    It is what it is, but lets wait and see how the United States is doing 3 years from now. All this lying and hiding will eventually catch up to Democrates.

4. sargon20

Gold Member

#4 sargon20, Jan 30, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2010
  5. Industrialsize

Staff Member Moderator Gold Member

Albums:
    You didn't watch because he didn't dodge one question, stayed on topic and answered every question that was thrown his way......

6. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

Thanks for that link, sargon. Engaging "bookmark" now...

7. vince

Gold Member

Albums:
    I agree. I watch the first half hour of it on Youtube. The man needs to do more of this. He needs to more of it with his own party too.

8. Industrialsize

Albums:
    He displayed a familiarity with Republican proposals that seemed to astonish those who asked questions of him. And at the end, Republicans rushed up to him, pens and photo cameras in hands, wanting autographs and pictures. Mused one mid-level White House official: "This really is the best thing we've done in a long, long time".

Ambinder:
    The session was clearly proposed so that Obama could appear to be taking real steps to reach out to Republicans. That implied warm feelings and a studied unwillingness to cause offense. But that was not the event we just saw. Instead, Obama stood at a podium for an hour and hammered his assailants. That makes it sound partisan and disrespectful. But it wasn't. It was partisan, but respectful.
    Ezra:
    It was like watching a town-hall forum where all of the questions were confrontational, but Obama nevertheless just ran circles around these guys. I can only assume caucus members, by the end of the Q&A, asked themselves, "Whose bright idea was it to invite the president and let him embarrass us on national television?"
    They were bringing up routine far-right talking points that, most of the time, simply get repeated in the media unanswered. But in Baltimore, the president didn't just respond to the nonsense, he effectively debunked it.

Benen:
    The whole thing basically went like that: Republican asks obnoxious question rooted in Glenn Beck-ian talking points; Obama swats it away, makes the questioner look silly, and then smiles at the end.
    Mike Madden:
    Obama also displayed a rare grasp of policy and legislation, wrong-footing his questioners to their face with some stern rebuttal and in some instances quoting their own positions back to them to highlight the contradictions. He mocked the GOP for presenting healthcare reforms as a "Bolshevik plot" – and got a laugh, even from the Republican audience – and suggested that their approach was counterproductive:
    I think we can confidently predict this is the last time the Republicans invite the president to a similar format. Indeed, because the hall the Republicans are holding their event seemed to have just a single TV camera, Obama literally took the spotlight away. Republican questioners showed up as shadowy figures, and when caucus leader Mike Pence kicked off the Republican questions at first he couldn't be heard at all.

The Guardian:

9. HazelGod

Gold Member

Albums:
    It was cool to watch Obama read those fools a few chapters of the pwner's manual. :tongue:

10. B_imjustaguy

B_imjustaguy New Member

Albums:
    I love how he told us that the majority of healthcare debates WERE on CSPAN. I guess the head of CSPAN must have missed them.

-Just A. Guy

11. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

Remind me how many of us watch C-Span on a regular basis again?
    Any show of hands?

* hearing crickets *

Yea, I thought so. :rolleyes:

12. maxcok

Gold Member

And the best thing he's done in a long, long time.

I confess, before the primaries I was very skeptical he could take the Whitehouse. For the usual reason. Make no mistake, I was happy when he did and blown away by the landslide. Unfortunately, I think this has less to do with America's racial maturity then we'd like to think. He was masterful in his campaign, he worked the ether like nobody has, exciting people across the demographic spectrum, and engaging an entire new generation in the political process. Not to take anything away, but he was also helped by 'Independents' disillusioned with business as usual and a weak, more-of-the-same-old-crap Republican ticket.

Ever since he took office, I've been waiting for Candidate Obama to reemerge. He's allowed Congress to set the agenda. I've been disheartened and dismayed that he hasn't worked that bully pulpit. Instead, he's allowed the lies, the distortions, and the crazy fringe to overwhelm the debate and dominate the headlines pretty much unchallenged. Meanwhile his formerly enthusiastic supporters were becoming increasingly disappointed and disengaged.

I was hoping he would get down to business and reach out to the people in his State of the Union address. It was a seminal moment, and he rose to the occasion. For the very first time, I felt like I saw 'President' Obama. I hoped he would take it to the streets, and keep his message resonating. What he did with the Republican caucus was amazing, masterful and beyond imagining. He took those boys to the woodshed, but he did it with such commanding style and dignity. Candidate Obama merged with President Obama. Truly remarkable and inspiring.

I have watched this over and over. This could be a turning point. I only hope he continues to have the attention of the media and more opportunities to take the liars, spinners and dissemblers to the woodshed. If he does, we've got a shot at some actual change. And the old guard may be exposed for what it is, lose support, splinter and fall away for awhile. I'm also looking to see if he will start to lead his own party with the same commanding force.

I confess, I was not an Obama acolyte before. The field of Demoratic candidates was an embarrassment of riches for once, and I would have been happy with any number of them. I gave him credit for saving our ass from total collapse, but not much more. Until now. Now I am convinced that this is the man we needed. If he stays on his game, he may even be a man for history. And not for the usual reason.
    If anybody has the strength, the command and the character to pull us out of some of the serious crap we're in, it's that man right there on the podium.

I have such a raging hardon for this guy right now.
    Said 'with all due respect', and let us never forget, we are on the big penis site.
    I can't wait for the next chapter.

A little more 'Hope'.

#12 maxcok, Jan 31, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2010
  13. slurper_la

Gold Member

Albums:
    Well you either did not watch the live airing or you watched it on FOX, which cut into every question and every one of the president's answers with nonsensical chirping voice overs by Sean Hannity et al. And FOX, clearly troubled by where the smack down was headed pulled away from coverage 20 minutes early.

I'm so grateful to the OP for posting this. I didn't get the chance to do so yesterday morning but was struck by the deafening silence of our right-wing comrades on this forum. When they can't, or think they can't, win an argument, or get a leg up with falsehood loaded talking points they slink away to a dark, musty corner and remain silent.

Mr. Obama did much good for the country on Friday by showing everyone (well, those that bother to hear the message) that the crappy lies coming from the right are no longer tolerable.

14. B_imjustaguy

B_imjustaguy New Member

Albums:
    I guess that's why during the 8 times Obama promised the debates would be on CSPAN, the crowd erupted in laughter.

No, they applauded because they liked the idea of accountability, and thought Obama might keep his word on being "Open and transparent".

-Just A. Guy

15. slurper_la

Gold Member

Albums:
    Well Friday's event was open and transparent and only because the White House insisted the cameras be allowed to film the Q&A after the Republs initially refused. After the fact Republicans have questioned, both privately and publically, whether it was a good idea, as they lick their wounds

16. sargon20

Gold Member

Indeed he did and they couldn't roll out that other big lie and call him Mr. Teleprompter. Smack down indeed.

17. B_imjustaguy

B_imjustaguy New Member

Albums:
    How exactly does this clear up the LIE Obama said about the debates actually being on CSPAN?

18. Industrialsize

Albums:
    I watched both the Senate and House Finance committees on Cspan debating and "marking up" their bills prior to approval.

19. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

And I bet if Bachmann asked the president if he was circumcised or not, you'd be demanding Obama to pull down his pants to prove one or the other. This is a pathetic excuse to be crying about transparency, only second in line to birthers demanding to see his birth certificate.

I guess Obama signing the Freedom of Information Act, releasing electronic log of visitors to the White House website, as well as creating online clearinghouses that put government data online allowing us to look at how the government is operating and spending taxpayer money just didn't cut it for you. You were eagerly awaiting to watch the negotiations on Health Care on C-Span and had your TiVO set to record the sessions while you were at your Tea Bagging rally.

Please... stop with the phony outrage. :rolleyes:

20. B_imjustaguy

B_imjustaguy New Member

Albums:
    Oh yeah, the list of vistors to the White House. Like Jeremiah Wright, but not THE Jeremiah Wright, and dffierent one. And not Bertha Lewis of Acorn, a DIFFERENT one. And not Malik Shabazz for the Black Panthers, a DIFFERENT one.

So what difference does it make what they do when they deny any wrong doing anyway?

Draft saved Draft deleted