Anybody seen Eyes Wide Shut?

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Punisher, Mar 20, 2007.

1. Punisher

Punisher New Member

Albums:
    I was talking about it with a friend earlier today, and got to thinking about it.. and don't really understand anything about the damn thing.

Which I believe is the point?

2. B_Hung Muscle

B_Hung Muscle New Member

Yeah, I saw it when it first came out. Everyone was all into it because they thought they would see some sex between Mr. and Mrs. Tom Cruise. ho - hum.

To me, it's all about unfulfilled sexual fantasies -- being prevented from finding satisfaction in your relationships.

Since Stanley Kubrick died before the film was completely edited, it really went unfinished and is not a very successful film. I think it is plodding and boring. Plus, the orgy scenes were censored when I saw it: all blotted out with these imposed shadows and fuzziness. Ridiculous.

If you want to see a great movie that handles the subject of sex and relationships explicitly and well, see Shortbus. It's just out on DVD and will blow you away.

3. Punisher

Punisher New Member

Albums:
    Nah, not really interested in other films LIKE this, just this one in particular. Thanks for the talk though.

I had a feeling there was something to do with the fact that he died when it was just coming out.. still, it's like.. confusing as hell. What was the deal with the chick that saved him? And the place he went to? Very weird.

4. JustAsking

Gold Member

Punisher,
    I think Kubrick was senile when he made that film. I am a Kubrick fan from way back, loving all of his movies but this one. Kubrick is a strange duck, though, and although there is noone like him, I don't think he could make any kind of movie he wanted to. All of his stuff is highly stylized and extremely tightly controlled. Much like Hitchcock, he seemed to see his actors as more like tokens and placeholders than independent emotional beings who carried the film with their complexity. I think that movie won more awards for innovation in cinematography than for anything else (e.g. the natural/candle lit banquet scene required new film technology.)

Kubrick's strength was the stylized visual experience you got from his movies. Dialog seemed secondary, whereas scene seemed paramount. Barry Lyndon is a good example, where the actors are two dimensional, the cinematography is achingly beautiful, and the dialog and plot are forgettable. In the Shining you the characters are once again two dimensional, (in fact Shelly Duval is almost a cartoon character even in real life), but the imagery is haunting. When you remember that movie, you remember the images. The long hallways, the visceral experience of the kid on the Big Wheels going from carpet to wood to carpet to wood, the iconic blood cascading out of the elevator, all are pure Kubrick.

I think Kubrick is the anti-Altman, where Altman loves the effect of the busy ensemble, Kubrick is slow, brooding and obsessive about the single elements of each scene. When you watch a Kubrick movie, your experience is being carefully controlled and it will move along at Kubrick's speed, not yours. You might say that this would lend itself to something like Eyes Wide Shut, but Kubrick is too much the technician, (and maybe just too old) to pull that off with any credibilty. I found this movie to be more like it was made by a technically competent Kubrick imitator who lacked the inspiration Kubrick brought to his movies.

Anyway, thanks for indulging my pompous opinion of Eyes Wide Shut. One thing is true that anything Kubrick does is interesting enough to create a wide range of opinions. I would not be surprised if many completely disagreed with me about this movie.

5. BlackCock85

Gold Member

Albums:
    Yes I have seen this film and I love it, may not have totally understood it.......but I've watched it over and over many many times.

6. Punisher

Punisher New Member

Albums:
    I just feel like I missed something, or am not understanding the movie properly?

Are you supposed to make your own assumptions? I really despise open-ended movies like that....

7. BlackCock85

Gold Member

Albums:

To an extent, I think you should watch it a few more times

8. D_Percival Puddleford Pukehorn

that movie was pretty good i guess. I read somewhere that Kubrick felt unhappy with the movie.

The orgy scene was classic though! Very mysterious and even satanic in my opinion.

9. D_Gunther Snotpole

D_Gunther Snotpole Account Disabled

I agree with everything you say here, JustAsking.
    The actors are just tokens -- and yet, some tokens are better than others.

Tom Cruise, I found hopelessly inadequate. Nicole Kidman acts circles around him ... proof, if any were needed, of his essential vapidity as an actor.

10. Ethyl

Gold Member

Albums:
    Two dimensional indeed, gentlemen. EWS was (I thought at the time) an intimate study of Cruise's character but by the end of the movie I lost all interest in his character. That was the real failure of that film, IMO.

11. rob_just_rob

Gold Member

I think I'm confusing Eyes Wide Shut with Vanilla Sky now...:confused:

12. D_alex8

D_alex8 Member

Mix 'em up a little more, and you might end up with Cocktail. :rolleyes:

13. rob_just_rob

Gold Member

Not a good idea.

For me, Cruise + Alcohol = :puke:

14. D_Gunther Snotpole

D_Gunther Snotpole Account Disabled

Now, Heinz, I'm ashamed to say that I actually saw Cocktail.
    The upside is that it was the perfect Cruise vehicle.
    All he had to do was look good and make some cool moves.
    I was shaken, but not stirred.

15. D_alex8

D_alex8 Member

Although I was just inserting a cheap one-liner before, I must confess that very much these same thoughts ran through my head too.

As eye candy, Mr Cruise was ideal at that time; but once you've enjoyed the initial tang of flavor, what else does eye candy really have to offer (especially after it's been marinated in L Ron Hubbard sauce)? :rolleyes:

16. JustAsking

Gold Member

Agreed that Mr Cruise is a wooden Hubbard puppet, except for Magnolia, where for some reason, he managed to be a really compelling and interesting character. Did anyone see that?

Draft saved Draft deleted